PDA

View Full Version : How to cross train?

Apprentice
12-30-2001, 09:43 PM
Well i'm considering cross training, however i dont have martial arts experience, but i know i gotta get a good foundation in one...
Im planning on doing Hung-Gar, and Aiikido...

How long do you suggest you develop a "foundation" in the first one before going to another one? Would it be okay to start both at the same time since their so different?

How do you practice? Should you completely break them up, like do aiikido one day, hung gar another, or just do them at different times, like hung gar for an hour, aiikido for an hour?

Merryprankster
12-30-2001, 10:14 PM
If you are going to crosstrain, get a good foundation. This means training until you can apply what you've learned in sparring... and not just against other beginners. You need to be able to apply what you've learned against people who are NOT in your style.

I'll provide a personal example. I grapple. I've done it long enough that I can take people down who are trying to hit me, not just other grapplers. Likewise, I have a friend who is a kickboxer. He can apply his kickboxing against people who are trying to take him down (he learned to defend takedowns, but I learned to defend strikes...same/same). In short, you have to be able to make it work against people who attack you in ways you are not familiar with.

I've heard Aikido takes a long time to become combat effective. I don't know if that is true, it's just what I have heard. With that in mind, you may wish to get a foundation in some other style first

Once you can do that, I think you can go out and explore a little more. UNTIL you can do that, stick with the one thing until you can make it work.

Lastly, make sure the styles are complimentary if you truly wish to be crosstrained. If I were a decent kickboxer, why would I go study Wing Chun, or vice versa? Sure, you could learn some new ideas either way, but you are essentially learning different strategies for the same "area," of combat (stand-up striking). A better idea for the kickboxer might be to study judo or wrestling or shuai chiao. :) Something rather different (grappling) than the kickboxer is used to.

diego
12-30-2001, 10:33 PM
hold the answer on when

strentgh & your weaknessess.

make sence

please dont make me explian,it makes sence

jimmy23
12-30-2001, 10:38 PM
As a mixed martial artist, I think that unless you go to a gym that specializes in MMA, you should spend at least two years in a style, after you decide what you want to study. Now, you may take a bit of time to settle on a paticular art, but once you do, really learn it, and more importantly learn HOW to learn( a good teacher will help you with this)