PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Khun Kao Charuad kicking to the neck

JWTAYLOR
11-11-2001, 08:43 PM
Maurice Smith has said that he likes to kick to the neck instead of the head. (that was from a Black Belt Magazine article)

I was wondering if that was a standard MT practice or just something that Mo Smith does?

Thanks,
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Martial Joe
11-11-2001, 08:48 PM
Well its kinda smart if you think about it.
The neck is softer so it will have a smaller chance of hurting his foot.
And its more effective.And if the other guy dies,Maurice doesnt get introuble.

It may sound barbaric but thats the truth...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

DragonzRage
11-11-2001, 09:06 PM
It's standard Muay Thai. The neck kick is a commonly used as a way to knock someone out.

Merryprankster
11-11-2001, 09:10 PM
Having trained with Khun, I can say that he does use the neck kick. Apparently the rationale is that if you aim for the head and they fade/duck to avoid, the kick goes up and over. If you aim for the neck, you get the knockout if it lands, and if they duck and fade, you hit the head for the knockout.

At least, that's what he told me. I'm no expert!

Khun Kao Charuad
11-11-2001, 10:36 PM
Merryprankster has it partially right. That is part of the rationale.

The other part is that KO'ing someone with a neck kick is easier than with a head kick. The head is a lot of bone. You may or may not achieve a KO by kicking them in it.

The neck kick on the other hand targets the nerves that run along the sides of your neck, and the blood vessels/arteries. I don't know the physiological explanation of why this produces such an effective knockout, but if you hit someone solid in the side of the neck, its just like hitting an ON/OFF switch.

Before studying MT, I was taught in Ninjitsu how to strike that same target for a similar effect. Though the strikes I learned weren't for a KO, they definately were stunning blows, which would allow you to set up your next technique/s to finish your opponent off.

Khun Kao

JWTAYLOR
11-11-2001, 10:38 PM
Muchos Gracias.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

BaekHoKwan
11-11-2001, 10:39 PM
The side of the neck is also an excellent target because of the knock out potential. A firm blow to the bracheal plexus will cause the brain to shut down. In law enforcement, it's known as a bracheal stun. Striking the side of the neck is a common technique in Seven Star Mantis. It it NOT a mystical median interuption, but easily explained physiology. I've seen G. Dillman use this "pressure point" in a few of his tapes to knock people out. I've used it many times, to the same ends. The back of the neck is a far more dangerous area to strike, but can yield the same results.

C. Martin
"Pain is Neccessary!"