PDA

View Full Version : Gangs of New York/Practical Martial Art Movie

Black Jack
12-31-2001, 03:33 PM
It seems like I have been waiting for this movie to come out ever since I read about it in Variety a freakin year ago.

This Martin Scorsese picture is going to be a top-notch, down and dirty western martial art/streetfighting flick that should fill the void where the dancing around, fanatsy-driven Hong Kong gung fu movies have left off.

A refreshing change from the unrealistic, wire-work, dim mak crap we find all over the place now.

There is a short article on the movie in the new BB which has no real info on the movie per say but a lot on the fight coordinator Dominique Vanderberg.

This is going to be one very bloody movie from what I have read, heard and seen so far. It is a period based film set in the late 19th century in New York, about rival immigrant gang wars and the fighting is supposed to be anything but fancy crap, much more reality based in direction and scope.

Actual period fighting systems like Catch as Catch can wrestling, English bare knuckle pugilism and the old style of Parsian streetfighting were taught to the actors and used in the film to reflect the difference in our time periods.

Just wanted to post that this movie should be really, really good even if that jack ass Leonardo DiCaprio is in it.

diego
12-31-2001, 03:43 PM
HOOK ME UPTO ANY LINKS AS YOU COME ACROSS

rogue
12-31-2001, 07:13 PM
Ah the imfamous Dead Rabbits. Good book too.

Here's a non-movie link.
http://www.gangsnewyork.com/

rubthebuddha
12-31-2001, 11:22 PM
sounds nummy, but were you pulling our chain with the news about leo?

i hope so. the movie's only saving grace would be seeing leo lying, broken and bleeding, in a corner of the ring.

Kristoffer
01-01-2002, 05:46 AM
I say only one thing.. GAY MOVIE

logic
01-01-2002, 07:00 AM
Is this movie gonna be something like fight club?

Black Jack
01-01-2002, 09:27 AM
I can not stand Leo either but I am not going to not see this movie just because he is prancing about on screen.

Plus, their is a very good chance he gets the **** beat out of himself in a number of scences.

That alone is worth the price for what he put the world through in the Titanic.

:rolleyes:

Polaris
01-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Leo? They should cast me **** it! I'd love to be in
a movie like that.

Reminds me of a time that me and a former fellow student
where doing Tai Chi. It was in the morning and it was
cold so we had our hoods on, and our teacher
said we should make a movie "Tai Chi Gangstars":D .

rogue
01-01-2002, 07:33 PM
This should be one heck of a good movie. Covers a period in NYC history where gangs were everywhere, even the cops (think of the cops as an Irish gang) and firemen (they would fight over who would put out a fire) were gangs. I can't wait.

Leonidas
01-01-2002, 08:13 PM
Did someone call :D ..............I seen the movie preview. It looks like a winner to me. Atleast its something different. No people flying around thankfully.

rogue
01-01-2002, 08:25 PM
Wire work would be hilarious in GONY!

Kristoffer
01-02-2002, 05:47 AM
I saw the trailer but it did not impress me.

tai chi gangsters :D :D thats awsome :D :D

Bak Mei
01-02-2002, 09:39 AM
When it comes to the Bowery, they are still there, but they are CHinese and Vietnamese now, and they sell hot electronics and collect nice red envelopes duiring New Years.