PDA

View Full Version : Martial Art/Action Movies You Like

Black Jack
12-31-2001, 05:45 PM
I thought it would be a cool post to see what martial art/action movies the people here like in an effort to share and expand on different movies to check out.

I tend to like both new and old movies so here is a short list of some of the stuff I have on the top of my head.

1."The Way of the Gun"- great freakin movie
2."Ronin"- Excellent chase and ambush scence.
3."Nevada Smith"-A real cool 1965 western movie with Steve McQeen and Martin Landau that had some good knife stuff in it.
4."Hell is for Heroes" Another Steve McQeen movie.
5. "Bullet"-Another Steve McQueen Movie. The greatest chase scences of all time.
6."Thief" This is a great James Caan movie and it was done by the guy who did heat.
7."Green Berets" The classic John Wayne movie.
8."Devils Brigade" This is a real cool movie that has some good WW2 CQC training scences.
9."13 rue Madeline" Another WW2 movie, this one has Cagney using war-time Ju Jitsu to fight and kill a Nazi in ocupied France.
10."Cloak&Dagger" This is a Gary Cooper flick where he uses some of the moves from "Kill or Get Killed" to take out an Italian agent.
11."Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"-Newman has a great knife scence, plus it is a very cool movie.
12."Dirty Dozen"-What can I say, sweeet WW2 movie!
13."Fighting Seabees"-Another cool WW2 movie.
14."Objective, Burma"-WW2 paratroopers dropped into the Burmese jungle, good stuff.
15."Rambo/First Blood"-Syslvester kicking ass and taking names.
16."Hard Boiled"-John Woo
17."The Story of G.I. Joe"-One of the greatest war pics. Robert Mitchum is great.
18."Flying Leathernecks"-another good one.
19."Bridge on River Kwai"-I like it alot!
20."Gung Ho!"-A cool movie about the Marine Raiders and how they took Makin Isalnd in 1942.
22."Braveheart"-Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23."Enter the Dragon"-The best Bruce Lee pic!
24."Kiss of the Dragon"-One of the better, new breed, kung fu action pics.
25."Conan"-Who can miss with that flick
26."Five Deadly Venoms"-A classic kung fu pic.
27."Tiger Claw"-A pic that I enjoyed, early 90's, tiger claw kung fu and bolo yung.
28."Island of Doctor No"-It has a cool Hapkido throw in the begining and Sean Connery as bond rules.
29."The Rock"-Sean Connery again.
30."Desparado"-Great gun scences even though it is full of bs!
31."Highlander"-Their can be only one!!!!!!!
32."MissonImpossible 2"-Cool fight footage.

I left out like a million but you get the picture.

What movies do you like?

Chang Style Novice
12-31-2001, 05:53 PM
Robert Mitchum would kick Steve McQueen's hindquarters!

Yung Apprentice
12-31-2001, 06:30 PM
Fist of Legend
Blade
Full Metal Jacket
Die Hard 1 & 3
Last Man Standing
The Last Boy Scout
U.S. Marshals
Replacement Killers
Lethal Weapon 1-4
Patriot
Training Day
Desperado
El Mariachi
Virtuosity
Predator
TombStone

And every single film John Woo directed!!!!

Yung Apprentice
12-31-2001, 06:31 PM
I also forgot the Terminaters, and Matrix.

Budokan
01-01-2002, 04:35 AM
I have to admit I have a soft spot (some say in my head) for "Bloodsport". Dunno why, except I think it's one of those movies that's so bad you can't help but like it.

On the more artistic side: Just about anything by Kurosawa--especially "Seven Samurai" and "Yojimbo".

logic
01-01-2002, 07:10 AM
The best martial arts movie of all time is comming out.
I think it opens on January 17. IT'S

Kung Pow,-Enter The Fist
:D :D

Chang Style Novice
01-01-2002, 08:22 AM
For Watchman (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0099753)

I liked Heaven and Earth pretty well, even more so I liked Sword of Doom. I wouldn't say either of them is as good as Kurosawa's best pictures, though.

Anybody here ever watch the Zatoichi series? Nothing better than watching a blind, fat masseur slaughter his corrupt and brutal enemies as they just can't believe their getting slaughtered by a blind, fat masseur.

David Jamieson
01-01-2002, 09:55 AM
-circle of iron-
-enter the dragon-
-tiger claws-
-master killer-
-raiders of buddhist kung fu-
-snake in eagles shadow-
-young master-
-7 red tigers-
-iron monkey-
-drunken master(s)-
-half a loaf of kung fu-

to name a few, i like watching training videos too :D

peace

Black Jack
01-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Shiznit, how could I forget the Lethal Weapon series!

Speaking about old Samurai flicks, maybe one of you could help me identify a movie that I have been wanting to find for some 12 years.

From what I can remeber is that it had some of the coolest freakin high jumping and fight scences that I ever saw!

Ninja's everywhere, hidding in giant trees, jumping from tree to tree, great effects, cool shoguns with badass bodyguards who jump onto each others shoulders, great fight scences.

Man I wish I could give you guys some real info to help me out but I was only around 13 or 14 when I saw the movie and it blew me away.

jun_erh
01-01-2002, 01:29 PM
My personal favorites are Shaolin Drunkard and The Magnificent Ruffians. There are better movies but I like the characters in those. They have a combination of discipline and unruliness that I relate too.

wushu chik
01-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Challenge of the Masters
Tai Chi Master
ALL the Jet Li movies...
Black Mask in Chinese, not english...they ruined it with the bunk storyline

~wen~

tsunami surfer
01-02-2002, 08:38 PM
The 7 samurai was great
also Way of the Gun was way cool(to use my sons terminology)
But my favorite flick was Heat with DiNero and Pacino.

Nothing like a semi knockin over an armored car

BAM!

Jimbo
01-02-2002, 08:51 PM
Shaolin Martial Arts (starring Fu Sheng).

The Victim (Sammo Hung).

Marked For Death (Steven Seagal).

Out For Justice (Steven Seagal).

Last Hurrah For Chivalry (Directed by John Woo).

Three Evil Masters (Yuen Tak).

Fist of the White Lotus (Gordon Liu).

Judo Saga (Directed by Akira Kurosawa).

Seven Samurai (Directed by Kurosawa).

Prodigal Son (Yuen Biao).

Mr. Vampire (the original one, starring Lam Ching-Ying).

Eastern Condors (Sammo Hung).

Pedicab Driver (Sammo Hung).

The Invincible Armour (John Liu).

Girlfight (Michelle Rodriguez).

Ninja Scroll (okay, it's an anime film, but I love it).

Terminator II, Judgement Day.

The Matrix.

The Streetfighter (Starring Sonny Chiba; NOT the crappy Van Damme film).

Warriors Two (Sammo Hung).

The Magnificent Butcher (Sammo Hung).

Fist of Legend (Jet Li).

Drunken Master II (Jackie Chan).

Wheels on Meals (Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung).

That's all I can list here...they aren't in order and there are too many others but my favorite IS Shaolin Martial Arts.

Jim

yuxiang
01-03-2002, 01:51 AM
I like all the Jackie Chan films, and part one in the Once Upon a Time in China series.
My all time favorite cheesy Shaw Bros flick would have to be The Flying Guillotine.

Tae Li
01-03-2002, 03:29 AM
Ok, heres an answer for you.....

EVERY SINGLE MOVIE THAT INVOLVES LI LIAN JIE. full stop.

Tae Li

;)

But the best one is Fist of Legend. All his movies get five stars but this one gets six out of five.

JasBourne
01-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Favorite real kungfu movie:
"Prodigal Son", Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung

Favorite wuxia (bigger-than-life, wirework) movies:
"Comet, Butterfly, Sword" - Michelle Yeoh
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

Favorite early exploitation kungfu:
"Dance of Death" - Angela Mao

Favorite Jet Li movie:
"The Legend"

Favorite 'action' movies:
"Terminator 2 - Judgement Day"
"True Lies"

Least favorite Shaw Brothers movie that has been released in America under at least 10 different titles and it STILL sux:
- That one where the opening scene is the old master nearly getting his a$$ kicked by hoods, then sending his pupil to study with his rival (even though the hero doesn't want to leave the beauteous Ling-Ling), and eventually the hero winning top prize at this huge colosseum-type martial arts tournament. I don't care what title they give this one, it still blows chunx. I'm tired of being suckered in at Blockbusters by this one.

Worst kungfu movie of all time:
"Bruce Lee in New Guinea" - starring the indescribable Bruce Li. Admittedly, this movie does have the camp chuckle factor of the savage tribal princess hobbling across a volcanic landscape in her 5-inch dominatrix platform boots, Lee Press-on nails, and faux cheetahskin bikini. But that's it.

I'm sure I will revise this list over the years :D

chen zhen
01-05-2002, 11:22 AM
Osama Bin Laden's propaganda video..
I especially like the music in it. :D

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2002, 12:21 PM
ARRRGH! You dissed "Iron Palm" aka "King Boxer" aka "Five Fingers of Death" Now? We must battle!

Seriously, the one Jasbourne described a couple posts back is one of my all time favorites! What's not to like? The cheesey 'glowing palm' special effects and theramin music when Lieh Lo starts using his Iron Palm skill? The battle where he's duelling a samurai and catches the katana between his palms then breaks it with his bare hands? The minor villain who headbutts trees into firewood? Lieh Lo playing a hero for like, the only time ever?

That one's almost as good as "Mad Monkey Kungfu" "Master Killer" or "Deadly Venoms"! Or later Sammo/Jackie/Yuen/Beardy era flicks like "Magnificent Butcher" "Odd Couple" "The Victim" and "Knockabout."

We can't be friends anymore Jasbourne. I'll miss you.:(

Ky-Fi
01-05-2002, 02:04 PM
Kung Lek----Raiders of Buddhist Kung Fu!? I will admit, Gordon Liu's kung fu is good, but come on, when the guy's holding the stuffed bird up to his face, pretending that it's attacking him :)?!

Some of my picks:

Adventures of Robin Hood (Errol Flynn rules!)
Scaramouche (1950's) (longest sword fight in screen history--well, maybe not including Hong Kong)
The Flame and the Arrow (1950's, Burt Lancaster was a former circus acrobat, and he was just about on par with Jackie C, doing all of his own stunts.)
The Searchers
Shane
Yojimbo
Magnificent Seven
Jason and the Argonauts (gotta love swordfighting skeletons!)
Man With the Golden Gun
You Only Live Twice
Touch of Zen
Fate of Lee Khan
Shaolin Master Killer
Last Hurrah for Chivalry
Star Wars Trilogy
Krull
Avenging Eagle
Moon Warriors
Once Upon a Time in China 1
Drunken Master II
Peace Hotel
Goldeneye
13th Warrior
Star Wars-Ep.1
Lord of the Rings

JasBourne
01-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Yes, that's the one - "King Boxer", "Five Fingers of Death", etc etc etc! That's the very one!!

Chang, I'll admit, it wasn't so bad the first time (although I did think Lieh Lo acted like there was excess starch in his shorts), and not even the second time, and the katana bit was good. But when me and the honey went and rented 3 videos, and 2 of them were the EXACT SAME MOVIE we'd seen the week earlier, well sir, it went *thud* to the bottom of the pile.

I'm sorry we can't be buddies anymore. Want a cookie?

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2002, 06:07 PM
The constant retitling of some movies sure is annoying. That can't be denied. It must especially suck to end up with the same movie twice in one rentspree. I guess I should be more tolerant, considering the circumstances.

Okay, I'll take the cookie. Mmmm...walnuts. Do you have enough chips? Can you reach the salsa?

A few more actiony good ones -

"Excalibur"
"The Man Who Would Be King"
"Dragons Forever" (IMH(umble)O, the greatest Kungfu picture ever made)
"Operation Scorpio"
"Blade" (better than the Matrix, IMH(eretical)O)
"Big Trouble in Little China"
"The Thing" (80s version)
"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension"
"Ravenous"
"Day of the Dead"

ummm...it looks like I've veered off into horror movies. Well, they have good action, too!

And for a story that may as well be ripped from the pages of Sun Tzu's "Art of War" and Machiavelli's "The Prince" - only there isn't much action, one of my favorite movies ever.

"Fresh"

Seriously, this is a great, great, but underseen movie. That kid...I'm just sayin', that kid....hoo!

GeneChing
09-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Best Martial Arts Movies on Amazon Prime Right Now (https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/best-martial-arts-movies-amazon-prime/)

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/best-martial-arts-movies.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Threads
must-see-martial-art-movies (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?17378-must-see-martial-art-movies)
Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8288-Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like)

GeneChing
09-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Best Martial Arts Movies on Netflix Right Now (https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/best-martial-arts-movies-netflix/)

https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/martial-arts-movies-netflix.jpg?resize=768%2C432

Threads
must-see-martial-art-movies (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?17378-must-see-martial-art-movies)
Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8288-Martial-Art-Action-Movies-You-Like)