PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give me an example of an ankle lock?

IronFist
11-11-2001, 10:24 PM
I don't know any. Someone please describe or post a pic or something. Thanks.

Iron

Jaguar Wong
11-11-2001, 10:44 PM
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/motw/old_tech/edit_title.cfm?headerid=76

This move also puts a lot of pressure on the achilles tendon, that's why you also hear it refered to as an "achilles lock". I've found that there are some people with very flexible ankles, so your technique and placement have to be pretty much spot on. I was also shown a variation called the calf press, where you would put your far side forearm under the leg, and grab your other bicep, which is also a Chin Na technique, but I learned it from a BJJ guy.

Jaguar Wong

"If you learn to balance a tack hammer on your head
then you learn to head up a balanced attack!"
- The Sphinx

IronFist
11-11-2001, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Jaguar.

Is that the only way to do it? I mean, are there locks that involve bending the ankle in other directions?

Iron

JWTAYLOR
11-11-2001, 11:10 PM
In general, the ankle is the wrist of the foot. So, you can take it and turn it down and out much like you would a wrist lock. The problem with many strictly ankle techniques is that one, it's pretty hard to hold an ankle when the leg is so strong and kicking, and two if you turn the ankle one direction they tend to roll over.

The one listed above is good for control, but some people, such as myself, experience no pain whatsoever from it even when it is applied corectly.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Martial Joe
11-11-2001, 11:30 PM
I have one...

Ouch...you are twisting my ankle...it hurts...stop!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Jaguar Wong
11-11-2001, 11:38 PM
Like I said, it just doesn't work on some people. I think if you were working the lock on JWT, he would be a good person to switch up to a heel hook, or the calf press.

IronFist, Like JWT said, there are other ankle locks. That one is just the most common one that I've seen. I've also seen an ankle lock that is executed like a key lock/kimura, except you're trying to touch their butt with their foot (ball of the foot, or toes).

Jaguar Wong

"If you learn to balance a tack hammer on your head
then you learn to head up a balanced attack!"
- The Sphinx

JWTAYLOR
11-11-2001, 11:42 PM
JW, that last one sounds cool, I think I might have seen a version of that before.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Merryprankster
11-12-2001, 01:10 AM
Generally speaking, ankle locks come in two flavors:

straight ankle locks

twisting ankle locks.

Straight ankle locks include Achilles locks and straight toe and heel holds.

Twisting Ankle locks include heel hooks and twisting toe and heel holds.

People with gumby ankles (like me) are hard to tap with a straight ankle lock, however, there are certain grips that will considerably increase the pressure, and make a tap much more likely. I can say with some experience that not tapping soon enough can lead to a sprained ankle, although in my case, I tend to just be sore.

Heel Hooks and twisting ankle locks are far more insidious. The general rule when practicing them is to do it slow. When using them in full speed sparring, unless you are familiar with the escapes, "Tap early and often." The lock WILL twist the knee, if it is bent, and there is no margin for error. Unlike other joint locks, by the time the pain has started, it's far too late.

If the leg is straight, then the pressure goes to the ankle on twisting ankle locks, and the ankle can be broken.

Tigerstyle
11-12-2001, 02:04 AM
I know what Merry prankster means when he says it, but does the term "gumby ankles" sound like a weakness to anyone else here?

"What can that guy possibly do to me? Look, he's got gumby ankles fer cryin' out loud!"

:)

Great responses from everyone, by the way.

"No Pain - Good."
- neptunesfall

Cyborg
11-12-2001, 02:23 AM
My favorite lock is where you lay back, put the tip of their foot in your armpit, put that same arm behind their ankle and let the heel slide upwards. It's hard, they'll get away if you haven't practiced it.

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee

Tigerstyle
11-12-2001, 02:30 AM
Cyborg,
That sounds like the Heel Hook. I believe it's the "Stomp to the Knee" of grappling. It's proven to work, but usually not practiced much beyond slow drills, and it's banned in many competitions because of the risk of serious injury.

"No Pain - Good."
- neptunesfall

Cyborg
11-12-2001, 03:13 AM
Thanks, we don't ban anything from our sparring except eye gouges, biting and groin shots. It's more fun that way! :)

"Box a fighter and fight a boxer". Bruce Lee