PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions?

buksing_king
12-31-2001, 10:17 PM
Hey there everyone
And welcome to the new year, Anyways what do you guys think of my new workout routine

I am only 15 .... turning 16 in May so i only use small weights

- 7 minutes skipping ..... boxer style or jumping style
- 30 push-ups with palms on ground and at shoulder width ( traditional push-ups)
- 5 sets of 12 reps with a 5 kilogram dumbell ..... bicep muscle curl i think
- 1 set of 10 reps with 10 kilogram dumbell ..... bicep muscle curl

- crunches with legs at 90 degress to my knees .... 25 straight crunches
- 25 with left arm crossing over torso
- 25 with right arm crossing over torso

then I do this thing where you get in push-up position but then you rest on your elbows and hold yourself up for 2-3minutes

OR i do my choy lay fut buk sing forms really fast to get some cardiovascular benefit

followed by holding 1 minute horse stance{say ping ma} 1 minute lau ma 1 minute dingee ma { twisting bow and arrow stance} 1 minute til-ma{cat stance} 1 minute do klok ma { crane stance} and some other stance which i have a mental blank on at the moment

Is this too pansy to reap any benifits ? my goals are to become carved out of wood enventually .... cardivascularly fit and develop more muscle power....

Ohh yeah i forgot ... when i do my stances i lift my arms up parallel to the ground... i really hurts after a while ...

Any responses are welcome !

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL>>> GOOD LUCK AT ACHIEVING WHATEVEr YOU SET OUT TO DO !!!!

tri2bmt
01-01-2002, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a great workout. Alot of people focus too much time adn attention on auxillary exercises like running and weight training and not enough on their actual martial art. Those exercises are good but the martial art should be the main part of the training or you're just another weight lifter.
I especially like to see you training your stances. I try to myself but they can be so boring! A good foundation is imperative though.

ijedi
01-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Hello,

Buksing King, I would say you have some good ideas. Let me give you some suggestions though:

Don’t begin with jumping rope. This is a minor plyometric exercise and should not be used for a warm-up (unless you have been exercising for more than 10 years with solid routines and have no joint problems).

I would begin with walking or cycling for the first 5 to 10 minutes.
I would choose a circuit training routine that incorporates all of the larger muscle groups. No weight training just yet. Push-ups; pull-ups; etc. Using your body weight. If you need more suggestions I would be happy to give you more info on circuit routines.

Why the bicep curls? It is really not something needed for a martial artist. After 6 months or so of good circuit training then I might suggest doing some weight training.

- crunches with legs at 90 degress to my knees .... 25 straight crunches
- 25 with left arm crossing over torso
- 25 with right arm crossing over torso

Good crunch routine. Make sure you have good form though. Look up straight at the ceiling, keep the same space between your chin and your chest. DON’T interlace your fingers behind your head. Just let your fingertips touch behind your skull. Keep your elbows in line with your shoulders. (this last part applies to only the straight crunch).

”then I do this thing where you get in push-up position but then you rest on your elbows and hold yourself up for 2-3minutes”

This is called a bridge, which is a isometric exercise for abdominals and the lower back. Take care that you are not over exerting your back muscles here.

>Is this too pansy to reap any benifits? my goals are to become carved out of wood enventually .... cardivascularly fit and develop more muscle power....

Please do not make the mistake of confusing aesthetics with function. Too often we think of the person who is ripped as fit. This is not necessarily the case.

Muscle power does not equate fighting power.

Be patient and practice your art. Remember that being fit is activity specific. Are you training to lift that weight or drop someone where they stand?

Thanks.

IronFist
01-01-2002, 10:24 PM
Why the bicep curls? It is really not something needed for a martial artist.

He is doing pushup routines, which stress the triceps among other things. So, incorporating bicep exercises serves to balance out the arm so that one muscle does not become too strong for it's antagonist (relatively speaking).

Granted, there are better bicep exercises than strict dumbell curls (read: Do pullups, buksing_king!), but still.

And bicep strength is important for fighting. Ever grappled?

Iron

ElPietro
01-02-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by ijedi
Don’t begin with jumping rope. This is a minor plyometric exercise and should not be used for a warm-up (unless you have been exercising for more than 10 years with solid routines and have no joint problems).

Haha...you get good at something by doing it. 10 years for jumping rope? BS! Start off slowly and if your joints get sore then try something else...I hardly think you need to exercise for 10 years before jumping rope. Also, I think jumping rope is an excellent warm-up. By not exercising your joints they won't be very effective in 10 years. Plyometrics in general shouldn't be done every day though. But to avoid them for 10 years is even worse...

buksing_king
01-02-2002, 09:09 AM
Hey thanks guys ... heaps of great suggetsions

I am just a little unsure about the skipping thing.....

I always thought that since i am young ( good joints ) it would be good to skip first so i have warmed up all my muscles so then later on in my workout they wouldn't get damaged .... but i dont know much yet................ anyways hehe

And ironfist i agree with your point ..... i mainly do the bicep curls so that my whole arm gets a bit of a workout ....

I have heard that holding out your arms with say 2-5kilo weights with your palms facing down is good for your punching ?? anyone have any thoughts on that ?? :confused:

Also another thought that has been puzzling my mind

I know when you do an aerobic excerise is makes you slim down and burn calories ........... i am not fat at all.... in fact some people say i have a 6 pack but that is beside the point .....

If you do an anerobic excerise like sit-ups or push ups .... is that still burning calories ? or is it burning to little to be thought of in that way ?

Thanks for all the great suggestions.... this forum is so productive i can't beleve it ... great work !:)

scotty1
01-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Are you sore afterwards? If you are, then you don't need to do anymore. If you're not, but you can see and feel improvement, instigate some minor changes until you're at you're personal limit. But don't push it. Some of the things said by the previous posters ****ed me off slightly.
"Do you train to lift that weight or drop a guy?" - training bench press with a heavy weight is going to help you drop a guy quick.. Weights and techniques help each other out.
And running - yeah, you need to have the techs there for when you fight, but even if you think you've got adequate lung capacity, spar hard for 3 minutes, non-stop - then tell me running wouldn't do you any good. If you can't breathe you can't fight.
I thought I was fit, but I was in shape, and there's a difference.

ijedi
01-02-2002, 01:46 PM
>He is doing pushup routines, which stress the triceps among other things. So, incorporating bicep exercises serves to balance out the arm.

I would argue that this would not be a good exercise to choose for balancing muscular systems. You are talking about a simple motion (in this case flexion of the elbow for bicep curls) and compound motion (in this case flexion and possible abduction of the shoulder joint depending on the form).

To achieve balance you want to use simple/simple or compound/compound. Which would make your choice of pull-ups (I am assuming you here mean chin-ups with your palms facing you thereby stressing the biceps) to balance push-ups a good suggestion.

>And bicep strength is important for fighting. Ever grappled?

As a matter of fact I have trained in a few different styles of grappling and have many friends who are devoted grapplers and trainers. Most of the good grapplers that I have trained with or spoken to actually don’t perform too many simple motion exercises. They perform a lot more compound motions (pull-ups in their many varieties) in their training.

And also if you are talking about punching…biceps can act as an antagonist to the motion, which can cause a beginning fighter a lot of grief.

So it depends on what the function of your training is.

>you get good at something by doing it. Also, I think jumping rope is an excellent warm-up.

I should have been clearer. I was only referring to jumping rope as the beginning of your warm-up. Once your muscles are warm then by all means go to it.

For the same reason you would not start a beginning weight lifter with power cleans before warming up you would not want to start off by jumping rope. Then again, after years of training it may be done without worry of injury (i.e., professional boxers).

>I have heard that holding out your arms with say 2-5kilo weights with your palms facing down is good for your punching ??

If you are talking about holding them out for a while, this is isometric training. You are taxing the deltoids (shoulder) which are used in many fighting applications. As far as helping your punch…If you don’t have good technique, having strong shoulders might cause you to rely on muscle and not body unity for power. This would eventually lead to having to re-train your punches as you get older and you loose muscle mass.

In my experience a lot of the older Chinese martial arts masters are skinny and have a relatively small amount of muscle mass. But they can still punch with a tremendous amount of power.

A lot of your training should be based on the style of martial arts that you are studying.

>If you do an anaerobic exercise like sit-ups or push ups .... is that still burning calories ? or is it burning to little to be thought of in that way ?

Typically, anaerobic training uses glycogen for fuel. This is a generalization because certain types of weight training (i.e., endurance and sports related resistance training) can utilize fat for fuel.

Calorie burning is not equal and should not be used as a gauge for exercise. Running and other aerobic activity is still has no substitute in the anaerobic regimen. Both are important. If you don’t like running or cycling, try shadowboxing, hitting focus mitts, or doing back work. I don’t train this way to fight, I train this way to build my cardio-respiratory endurance.

>training bench press with a heavy weight is going to help you drop a guy quick.

I suppose most professional boxers perform bench press then? I have news for you. They don’t. Most trainers that are called in to train boxers (I am talking about in the Olympics and professionally, avoid the bench press because of the cramping of the shoulder blades in the motion while lying on the bench. A good alternative is pyramid push-ups at various angles.

Thanks.