PDA

View Full Version : Question about protien drinks

CanadianBadAss
01-01-2002, 02:05 AM
Somebody on my last thread posted a link to http://www.proteinfactory.com.. As soon as my cold goes away I plan to start weight training pretty hard, and start running a couple miles a day, so i can get in shape for some ring fighting. Right now I'm thinking about getting the

LEAN GAINER MRP
Serving Size 66 grams
Carbohydrate 30 grams
Protein 27 grams
Fat 2 grams
Calories 246
PRICE $5.95

But I don't really know alot about this kinda stuff, so I need some help on choosing the right drink,
thanks

lowsweep
01-01-2002, 04:33 PM
I also could use some advise on protein drinks. I went to protein factory and was a little overwhelmed at all the different kinds of protein. What kinds work best? I am looking for a good protein mix to gain muscle. I am kinda lost here, should I go for just protein powder or do I want the calories and carbs too? What are the best powders? Any help would be great
thanks,
adam

ijedi
01-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Hello,

When looking for a protein supplement first and foremost you want a high quality whey protein (which comes from bovine sources). Caseinate protein (which comes from dairy products) is your second choice. To be clear, I would not endorse taking caseinate protein only but I would endorse whey protein only. However, a combination of whey and caseinate protein is highly beneficial as these two different proteins have different absorption rates.

As far as the best powders…let me say there are a lot of companies that put out terrible products. As a trainer I have found AST Sports Science to produce some of the highest quality products on the market. I have no affiliation with this company other than I have used their products personally and I order them for my clients. Their web-site is:

http://www.ast-ss.com/

I don’t agree with their views on fat intake. They are obviously going from more of a body building perspective here and not an athletic one.

Also, IMO the best protein supplement on the market (and the one I use) is Pro-blend 55 put out by Human Development Technologies (HDT).

As far as the grams you should take in and what not, it would depend on your height, weight, body composition (fat %), goal weight, and time period you are looking to gain the weight. Among other things. If someone tells you what you should eat without asking you at least the previous questions, they don’t know what they are talking about. Please beware of arm-chair trainers.

Thanks.

IronFist
01-01-2002, 10:56 PM
ijedi said
If someone tells you what you should eat without asking you at least the previous questions, they don’t know what they are talking about. Please beware of arm-chair trainers.

Geez.

Watch me tell him what he should eat without asking the previous questions :)

If you are looking to actively build muscle mass, consume at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.

Well, that advice works unless someone is grossly obese.

But you are right about needs are requirements being different based on goals and stats, among other things.

Iron

Ka
01-03-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey if you are finding Protien powders a bit expensive here's an alternative,Do about 5 raw eggs in a blender with 4 bannas some rock melon(whatever friut you like) milk full cream cocnut milk and some ice blend it up and drink.If you like add a table spoon of whey powder.I may cope a lot of flak for this one as it follows a petty radical deit scheme but it does work.Best suited for people doing a lot of exercise. This sort of comes from a dude who puts out a publication called Spartan Health its promotes intake of quality high protein from natural products,and alot more,I should get a comision,Anyway he' s going to US soon to try and get inthe market over there. :)

lowsweep
01-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Ka, that sounds good but I am a little nervous about those raw eggs. They say that you should try not to eat those nowadays. I am customizing a powder at proteinfactory and if you like I will post results in a couple weeks once I have had time to try it.

Ka
01-03-2002, 08:50 PM
I know what you are saying,everyone seems against the humble egg these days,But they are a great source of protien.I should point out that this goes hand in hand with other parts of the deit,eg no sugar at all,no grain foods.**** loads of fruit and veg lot of natural high quality protien cooked raw. Would be interested in the results of your protien batch.I found them a bit expensive,a weight lifting friend recommended pure whey protien that I throw into the above shake after training.I should point out that I am not after mass gain but mass maintanence ,I do a lot of endurance stuff. :)

ElPietro
01-04-2002, 07:35 AM
5 eggs only have roughly 10-12g of protein total. If you are concerned with raw eggs you can buy pasteurized egg whites by the carton which is what I do. The yolk is high in fat so if you are counting fat and need to restrict then egg whites are a good way to do this.

lowsweep
01-04-2002, 02:40 PM
El Pietro, I thought there was 7 grams of protein in a single egg???
I eat eggs all the time for protein, what I was saying was that eggs can give you salamanila (sp?) (or something bad, i think its salamanila) if you eat them raw. Protein powder is expensive, the mix I made runs about 8.50$ a pound, or about a dollar a day. Hopefully it will work well enough to be worth it.

IronFist
01-04-2002, 04:24 PM
ElPietro, I also thought there were 7-8 grams of protein per egg. Were you talking about just egg whites or something?

Iron

ElPietro
01-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Sorry, yes I meant just the egg whites. I use cartons of egg whites. It lists 3 egg whites @10.6g of protein I belive. The yolk is high in cholesterol and fat. Some is good, but if you are going to use eggs as your primary source I'd cut out at least half to three quarters of the yolks.

Salmonella is a risk you take with raw unpasteurized eggs. It affects about 1 in 10,000 eggs. You will get sick for 2-4 days if you have salmonella, it's similar to food poisoning. One way to reduce your chances is to examine the eggs before you use them. Check the egg for pinholes in the shell. If it is completely sealed then it won't have salmonella.

harry_the_monk
01-05-2002, 08:33 PM
hi there,

when i first started using this sight i was going through the phases of joining the vegan revolution ( I remember iron fist giving me advice on that thread:) ) my main worry was that of getting enough protein to meet my requirements...i train at least 3-4 hours hard a day, i won't bore you with the breakdown as this is about protien drinks:)

the thing is i actually spent a lot of time since then gaining nutrition knowledge and studying it to see if my health would be affected. I found out that all we need to function well on is 10% protien in the diet, don't really want to go into too much of a breakdown of that either as lengthy mails don't get read totally.
. Chances are all you meat eaters out there are getting more than your fair share of protein already.

Just trying to save your hard earned bucks guys, if you don't need the protein suplement don't waste it on the powdres:)

I eat very little recognised form of protein and can manage to gain just under a kilo a week.
Peace...

ElPietro
01-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Harry...good for you to do your own research. There is much debate on how much protein should be consumed in your diet. While I would say 10% is very, very low, I wouldn't say you need to take in 2 grams per pound of bodyweight either as some people would. I personally don't think the RDA's you see on most sites take into account a bodybuilder's diet or perhaps are outdated articles that may not have all the latest research at hand. Of course if you go to a supplement site they would tell you to get as much as you can, and keep buy more protein from them, etc, etc. I'm not sure protein needs extra focus in a diet. I think you should focus on all 3 macros equally as they will all contribute to your overall fitness. Right now I'm using a 30/40/30 macro breakdown of carbs/protein/fat. Now there are many other ways to go out there, 40/30/30, 50/30/20, and so on...but I've rarely seen 10% for protein. Perhaps if you are sedentary that would be ok. But basically there is no golden rule so if I were anyone here on a true quest for knowledge I would experiment on myself. It is hard to overdose on protein intake. You would have to consume QUITE a bit of protein over a period of time for it to have any affect on your liver. So if you are currently are taking 100grams and you want to try 175 grams and see if there's a diff, you'd cut out grams from carbs and fat to make it all equal out. Just my thoughts...

...****...this is looking like one of those longer posts you said nobody reads... :(