PDA

View Full Version : Guitarrists, help!

IronFist
01-02-2002, 01:18 AM
******, I'm so ****ed! (oops, I can't say that here, can I?) Alright. I've been playing guitar for quite a while now, and I would say I have a bit better than average ability. I'm no Yngwie Malmsteen, but I could blow the crap out of any band you hear on the radio nowadays.

But, I think something's wrong with me! There's this song I've been trying to figure out, a short little 4 measure riff, and I can't get more than half of it for the life of me. See, now you probably assume "hey, it's probably something really hard" but that's not it. To my ears it sounds like the easiest thing in the world, but I CANNOT FIGURE THE BLOODY THING OUT!!!! It's a slow, accoustic thing that's mostly single or double notes. It's basically the background music of this song, but usually there's voice over it so you can't hear it, but at the end they play it once with no singing so I made an .mp3 of that part repeating over and over again to help me figure it out, but it was to no avail. I've got maybe half of it down, but I can't get it to sound right.

So, to the guitar players here, can someone help me out? I'll send you an .mp3 of it (a 26 second file... just the guitar part that I pasted over and over) and tablature of what I've figured out?

Ok, sorry to waste so much space here at KFO, I'm just ****ed so I'm venting.

Maybe I don't have to send the file, if anyone has the JuJu Club album "16/20" it's the last song on the album :P

Iron

wushu chik
01-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Hi!! E-mail Roc Doc...he's an AWESOME guitar player, and he just might be able to help ya!! And, best yet, he's a great guy!!!

~Wen~

reemul
01-02-2002, 03:28 AM
reemul@texas.net

DelicateSound
01-02-2002, 08:27 AM
Ironfist - I can help you.

My address is:

thegrandolddukeofstone
@
hotmail.com

Written like that to prevent page scanning software.

I've been playing for just over 2 years, but I'm getting pretty good (if I do say so myself :p ), so I'll give it a try.

DelicateSound
01-02-2002, 08:28 AM
And if I can't play it - someone I know will.

Sharky
01-02-2002, 10:09 AM
you can mail it to me. eddie.shakarchi@ntlworld.com if it's big, otherwise my hotmail

remember they sould be using a different method of tuning or a capo if it's all that acoustic stuff. or you could get the tab off the net.

pazmoot
01-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Good point Sharky,

Some people tune relative to each other rather than going to 440.o all the time so that can confuse things. also if it's not DDD mastered or taken from a tape that can alter the tuning. Concentrate on finding the first note only and then work from there. Work out how many times this note occurs, write it down and work out wether the notes around it are higher or lower. If you can't find the first/ root note (normally the first) use any note and work out through melody using reative pitch then find the correct key later.

How familiar are you with music theory? This could help alot. If you need scale/ chord/ modulation tips please email me at;

pazmoot@hotmail.com

Also if it's finger picking this could make a difference. My advice is work it out yourself. This is far more satisfying and there are tips you can learn to doing this. It just takes practice.

If all else fails go through everynote on the fret board until you find the first note.

Hope this helps,

Best Wishes
Giles

DelicateSound
01-02-2002, 01:31 PM
It is always better to do it yourself. I got the Pink Floyd tab collection for Xmas. I'd been working out the solos to Comfortably Numb pretty well, but when I got the tab books I just used them

Felt like I'd cheated myself after all the hard work I'd put in. :mad:

IronFist
01-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Alright guys, I'm on a different computer right now so I can't send the file just yet, but let me answer some questions first.

Um, let's see. I've got the first note already. I know the root notes behind the three chords that are used, I just can't pick out the rest of them or the picking pattern.

As for looking up the tab, well it's on a Korean cd and my Korean isn't good enough to find the tab for it online.

And, I don't think it's really a matter of having to retune anything (I could be wrong tho :) )

Thanks guys, I'll send it when I get back to my computer, since the file is on my harddrive and not this one :)

Iron

DelicateSound
01-02-2002, 03:30 PM
How melodic is it. If it's mood changes with each chord change, then its probably just playing over the key, or over each individual chord.

Try messing around with the scales for each chord, and bear in mind each chords relation to the root. If it changes to the IVth, try a few blues scales etc. Check its not hiding under the relative minor.

Mess around with some Triads and Diads.

I'm not the greatest musical genius by any means, nor the wisest practitioner of theory, but sitting down and using theory usually works for me.

Hope this helps. :)

DelicateSound
01-02-2002, 03:32 PM
My 400th post! Wooooh! :D

IronFist
01-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Delicate Sound, nice sig. quote :)

Iron

DelicateSound
01-02-2002, 03:37 PM
I'd say the same about your KC Elbows "dofond moself" quote, but that quote was a p!ss take of my typo, and so officially, I am forever bitter and twisted :D

My signature is even more prevalent now Ralek is back on the scene :)

Good Luck with the tabbing!

IronFist
01-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Alright guys, if you left your email address I just sent you a copy of the guitar part and the tab I've figured out so far.

Uh, if anyone didn't get it but wants to help out, lemme know. Or if I forgot anyone.

Thanks for your help

Iron

Sharky
01-06-2002, 07:12 PM
sorry only realised about ur email today. well i've sent it, i'm pretty **** sure it's perfect, dunno if anyone else got there first.

ps - there *IS* a capo on the 4th fret u clumsy foo'!!!!!!!

Cheers

Edd

Sharky
01-06-2002, 07:31 PM
oh and a couple of points. you didn't have the right root notes man, this is cos the root notes are NOT the same as the bass notes. it isn't always the case that they are the same.

cheers