PDA

View Full Version : pak mei footwork, mobility, drills

fiercest tiger
01-02-2002, 03:38 AM
ok guys i have a question on pak mei foot work!

what footwork drills do you do for mobility?

Do you have Batt Bo Gong Si - 8 step cicada?

yum cha my sifu taught you this, remember the park days, we would ly jik bo and return with the running step?

I heard pak mei doesn't have this and it was added by Grandmaster Har Hon Hung. So GuangZhou may have it in there pak mei but does anyone else have it.

Dragon may have it as it zig zags like dragon style. Meltdawn any info on this?

Does anyone know the sheep step and the leech movement of pak mei?:eek:

FT peace

EAZ
01-02-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by fiercest tiger

I heard pak mei doesn't have this and it was added by Grandmaster Har Hon Hung. So GuangZhou may have it in there pak mei but does anyone else have it.

Dragon may have it as it zig zags like dragon style. Meltdawn any info on this?

FT peace

We have a form that I learnt latter from another branch of Pei Mei in Vietnam which is only foot movements. I don't know the name though. One characterictic is at the end, you do a series of movements from 90/10 position (cat stance I think you call it): front foot a) ricochets off ground in front of you while all weight on back leg bent b)hit ground with sole of front foot c) place front fot in cat stance again. Repeat while advancing forward. Does this ressemble what you are talking about? (8 step cicada)

Otherwise, we practice 5 basic movements of feet, along 5 animals theory taught in VN.
-front foot advances rear foot follows actively by hitting ground when it catches up(tiger)
-stomp front foot, step forward , skip and stomp again (leopard)
- bring rear foot forward and stomp and then slide front foot forward (dragon)
- 360° pivot, rear leg advances to behind front knee, pivot, and rear foot now steps forward to become front foot (snake)
- 90° turn 2 different ways of changing angle of 90° respective to imaginary opponent (crane)
-plus there is changing directions 180°, 3 different ways.

All can be done forward and backwards
All these must be done with feet swooshing along the ground.
Stances are as always in VN lineage while practicing, i.e. very low.
Put all students in small area and have them move around eachother none stop.
Advanced students may add TTFC once egs move well.

Sheep step: never heard of this one. Can you describe it?
Leech step: (I heard another HK school person call this the squid step I think): is this what you do when moving backwards in 18 frictions and in FIerce Tiger (although there is a diference in the 2 forms when I was taught them, and there are 2 variants as well and I do not know which is more Pei Mei ish). It is like going backwards on your toes rising, and then sinking on the final backward step?

In general TTFC is not taught to beginning students, who must instead perfect movements of form showing strengh speed and endurance before adding the TTFC concept. Otherwise they get mixed up and do everything wrong.

FT, do you do anything else that might be interesting to share ?(with regards to mobility exercices, needless to say ;-)

fiercest tiger
01-02-2002, 06:18 AM
BATT BO GONG SI- is for quick movement off the centerline and attacking on the outside doors. also used as a set up to trick your oponent in believing he is going this way but gone that way. Its very good for attacking the legs and off balancing the opponent.:)

Shrimp step, is a slide back like a shrimp using tun, toe, followed by tiger step!

I thave a drill for tiger step called fu bo:) hahaha its called 1-10's half step forwards half step back, 2 half steps forwards 2 back all the way to 10, done both sides. Works your legs, burns like hell ask buby?lol he loves them!!:p

Then thats done with bridging and sensing hands. after that add in one attacks forwards the other attacks on the back foot. sparring no gloves!! 1-10's these are just half stepping also stomping can be used, foot trapping, grinding, sweeping etc.

This is our linear charging hand and foot drills for basic levels!

2 man searching hands, single and double hands are used using circular, linear, lateral footwork. All done with contact no gloves! similar to chi sau, but not.;)

not to mention all stances are held for a good amount of time before mobility.

hope this helps:)

we have alot but thats all for now im tired.:o

Buby
01-02-2002, 06:38 AM
"I thave a drill for tiger step called fu bo hahaha its called 1-10's half step forwards half step back, 2 half steps forwards 2 back all the way to 10, done both sides. Works your legs, burns like hell ask buby?lol he loves them!!" - :D I have to agree with you there sifu..They burn like, but well worth it...And yeah, I do love them!;) Ask Lou! :D

Buby

fiercest tiger
01-02-2002, 06:43 AM
You giving lou a hard time on these?:D
lol

fiercest tiger
01-02-2002, 06:53 AM
Sorry one more thing dude, we use log training with batt bo gong si. between not on top!:)

Buby
01-02-2002, 06:54 AM
Who me? Na, I'm a good guy.:D Besides, Lou knows it's all outta love.:D

Buby
"YKMs 1-10 Gangsta" LOL

EAZ
01-02-2002, 09:54 AM
BATT BO GONG SI- is for quick movement off the centerline and attacking on the outside doors. also used as a set up to trick your oponent in believing he is going this way but gone that way. Its very good for attacking the legs and off balancing the opponent.:)

Shrimp step, is a slide back like a shrimp using tun, toe, followed by tiger step!

We do many mvements in conjucntion with hand contact sticky hands like you. We also have drills for leg attacks against legs: attack, immobilise/trap and trip.

Yes that is the shrimp step.
But what is leech and sheep step?
I am very curious !

Batt Bo Gong Si: I think we do this too: for exemple, using leopard step (you step with forward foot to the outside almost latterally and bring back foot rapidely a step ahead, going after angle/flanking attack, such that you can as you say also attack his leg with yours and attack from outside. If he is caught unawares, he goes flying. How interesting that youdo the same thing....and you know of Green Dragon....so much in common it seems.

fiercest tiger
01-02-2002, 02:37 PM
I teach stances against low kick as well, look at nullifying the power of the kick, where the stance should be etc. So each class stances are always worked if its, static, mobility, attacking, power generation , i can talk all night on just stances sometimes in class.

Maybe because my Sifu did stances for 3 years straight before he learnt anything else, its rubbed off on me hahahah!

Did you learn the Green Dragon Chi KUNG YET?:)

EAZ
01-03-2002, 02:22 AM

Did you learn the Green Dragon Chi KUNG YET?:)

I just received an email from the Man above (me), who told me that Green Dragon was brought over from Dragon style by CLC and that in the 50s and 60s it was a very common thing to learn, it just fell out of practice now. Did not seem to think especially highlyl of it.

No I have not learned it yet...

fiercest tiger
01-03-2002, 04:08 PM
Really he said that about the green dragon chi kung? What other bak mei guys do chi kung that isnt from other styles?

so green dragon is from lung ying pai, ill ask melty about it!

i havent learnt it either, but i have heard of it! Like i said i have a manual of bak mei chi kung called bak mei chi kung.

anyways ill talk later im hungry:)

EAZ
01-04-2002, 04:08 AM
Just to clarify, he said it was very common practice in 50s and 60s IN VIETNAM.

If I understand correctly, he said that though this practice orginated from Dragon boxing, it was standard practice in all Chinese sports centers in Vietnam during this period.

(don't forget to send me the amazon.com coordinates so that I can buy that Pei Mei chi Kung book ;)

Yum Cha
01-06-2002, 10:37 PM

what footwork drills do you do for mobility?

yum cha my sifu taught you this, remember the park days, we would ly jik bo and return with the running step?

FT peace

I remember the running step back from Jik Bo, was that Batt Bo Gong Si? We also do a scuffling exercise move forward, rotate, move back, forward, turn, etc, etc, at random, simply practicing the moving ma bu and changing angles, direction, etc. Like a warmup, hands on sides. Must lock down.

I have a static exercies, of front horse, crossed legs (snake?), and on to Cat that I do, holding each until I get a good burn. Once without arms, once with arms. 15 minutes of that make jik bo just that much more enjoyable....

How do you feel about doing jik bo from either side? Lefty and righty?

I've only seen Sheep Step refered to in the HB Un book, got me wondering too... Maybe a bad translation of sheef step, for a sliding step? Who knows....

fiercest tiger
01-06-2002, 11:02 PM
ok, here is how i teach stances!

starting with static, on to mobilty, then maybe grinding legs 2 man for strength. Then application against kicking and stance vs stance counter, trapping, pinning,sweeping, off balancing all the usual stuff etc

jik bo done both sides i dont see anything bad with that, both sides should be practised and balanced. i also teach tung jee with the opposite side too:D for a balance and mind teaser!!

Ba Bo Gong Si is the footwork you learnt with sifu leung, it also has hand techniques as well, not just the usual seip kuil/sau.

CLOUD ONE
01-07-2002, 03:38 AM
Yum Cha
I take it that you are a lefty, Why don't you practice being a righty?

In Jek Bo do you roll your shoulders?

I only know of three stances.
They are a very slight variation on each other.

F.t your stances against kicks, do you mean that you take on the kick with a strong stance or a stance which deflects the kick?

What is ban-pu for?

fiercest tiger
01-07-2002, 03:57 AM
whats up, you in a happy mood today?:D

The way i use stances against kicks is to angle and jam, ride or i call catch and carry, extend and close off their centerline.

i dont usually stand there and try and wear kicks, but if i do get kicked i usually look for the spot where the kick has not much power left in it, if it does land im not as in much trouble as i would wearing the kick at full force.

does that make any sense to you?:)

cya

EAZ
01-07-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Yum Cha

I have a static exercies, of front horse, crossed legs (snake?), and on to Cat that I do, holding each until I get a good burn. Once without arms, once with arms. 15 minutes of that make jik bo just that much more enjoyable....

How do you feel about doing jik bo from either side? Lefty and righty?

Sounds like the small set of movement forms that I was taught: You start in front horse stance, cross legs (yes that's snake in my system), Cat then another 3 movements or so then you go to other side.
The main difference is that since there are so many movements in my version it is not done isometrically like you to burn in stance, but in movement. It is more to teach how to go from one stance to another without rising...

EAZ

Yum Cha
01-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Yes EAZ, sounds similar, the thought of doing it quickly now has me intrigued. Its much like the Lion Dancing Step Yau Goo.

I do them once in each direction with hands on the waiste, finger tips touching, then the second time, I do 100 Chun Sau in horse, or 100 loose and light soi kieu, lam dahs. Then to snake position, both arms forward, bent at 90 degrees, elbows almost touching, hands out, then to cat, opposite hand from the foot extended. And then back. It is a bit of a meditative thing, full gripping in the stances, visualisation, breathing. Takes about 10 minutes. For an old bloke, its a low impact warm up, and I move into stretching, and then a bit of rope skipping, but I try and stay in horse stance for at least another 5 or 10 minutes.

What are the other steps you add when you do the exercise?

Cloudy, no, I'm not a lefty, but I spar one regularly. I roll my shoulders as one would expect.

Ping Ma Bu and Jao Ma Bu are the only stances I'm taught, the stuff I practice is frozen transitions, if you want to look at it that way.

What are the three stances you learn?

Yum Cha
01-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Yes EAZ, sounds similar, the thought of doing it quickly now has me intrigued. Its much like the Lion Dancing Step Yau Goo.

I do them once in each direction with hands on the waiste, finger tips touching, then the second time, I do 100 Chun Sau in horse, or 100 loose and light soi kieu, lam dahs. Then to snake position, both arms forward, bent at 90 degrees, elbows almost touching, hands out, then to cat, opposite hand from the foot extended. And then back. It is a bit of a meditative thing, full gripping in the stances, visualisation, breathing. Takes about 10 minutes. For an old bloke, its a low impact warm up, and I move into stretching, and then a bit of rope skipping, but I try and stay in horse stance for at least another 5 or 10 minutes.

What are the other steps you add when you do the exercise?

Cloudy, no, I'm not a lefty, but I spar one regularly. I roll my shoulders as one would expect.

Ping Ma Bu and Jao Ma Bu are the only stances I'm taught, the stuff I practice is frozen transitions, if you want to look at it that way.

By the way, when it comes to kicks, I am prone to take body kicks full on if weak and challenge the opponents balance, then bridge in and finish them when they try a second with more power. I also use the kick I'm sure FT meant by "catch and carry" against kicks. :D :D :D

What are the three stances you learn?

fiercest tiger
01-07-2002, 08:43 PM
We call cross stance in ykm gor man jee gerk, then step into cat stance dil tai!

you can practise the salutation while doing the man jee and dil tai all the way across the roomjust continue to step and salute to you hit the wall!