PDA

View Full Version : Gun info?

Bak Mei
01-02-2002, 01:06 PM
How can one go about carrying a side arm? Is it legal, under what terms? If I was to start a small business, can I claim it is necessary to protect myself because I move with money. Not the case, but can be to get a permit.

I live in NY. I want to learn about sidearms. I know nothing other than the the barrel points to the guy you want to shoot and the trigger needs to get pulled. I seen clips coming in and out in movies, and people pullig something back ontop or the side, but have no clue.

How and where do I go about learning? Small but powerful enough weapon with accuracy. I don't know anything, but I assume that's what everyone is looking for, right?

Watchman
01-02-2002, 01:13 PM
Bak Mei,

The best thing for you to do is to look up your local NRA chapter and take one of their firearm safety courses. The class will involve basic firearm instruction, your local laws, etc. You will also be able to ask the instructors for advice about different firearms and what may be the best solution for your particular situation.

Check out www.nra.org and click on the "State Associations" tab for contact info in your area.

Once you've done all that, then you can upgrade your training and get some real proficency. Remember to approach firearms as you would your kung fu. It takes hard work and training, and they are definitely not to be taken lightly.

Bak Mei
01-02-2002, 01:41 PM
Thank you.

Guns is a wied subject for me. I've been training MA a long time, and love the intimate nature of the combat, hands on hands, nothing is more real. I kid of view shooting someone as, well, less than what I would like to do.

At the same time, my training is real enough to understand the dangers of violent situations, and I understand my Pat Kuen will not stop a bullet .. at least not yet.;)

If I want to be martially complete, I do need to familiarize myself with the most powerful of practical weapons. I have a few young students now I trane at home, and if I want to incorporate this into training someday, I must familiarize myself with it. So, again, thank you. I make sure I fully understand and have a great proficiency in something before I try to speak of it or share it.

Ray

Dark Knight
01-02-2002, 04:15 PM
Check www.packing.org for info on local gun laws.

I own may guns, there is no one gun that is the best choice. The average shootout last 3 rounds, so high capacity is not an issue. Revolvers are good, semi autos are fine. I carry a springfield 1911 in .45. I also own a Glock G22 in .40 that I carry.

I have a bunch of other handguns that I shoot but dont carry. And rifles and shotguns that I compete with.

Dark Knight
01-02-2002, 04:18 PM
My next Gun is the Walther P99. Great feeling gun.

http://www.walther-usa.com/centerfire_handguns.htm

Sam Wiley
01-02-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure what the laws are in your area exactly, but please take a safety course. One of the worst problems with the population buying guns today is their lack of muzzle control. Please just learn to handle it responsibly.

Black Jack
01-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Sam,

What do "you" mean by muzzle control??

brainpan
01-02-2002, 04:33 PM
For a newbie, I suggest a good revolver. There are many preownned (police trade ins) that are both cheap and reliable.

I'm not sure about the laws in NYC, if it's anything like Kalifornia... forget about a CCW unless you have a REEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAL valid reason. (or you are a LEO)

For myself I do carry in the car.

I carry a Makarov with 125gr Silverbear Hollowpoints. Very compact. Low recoil...VERY reliable and cheap too... about $150-$200. Think poor man's Walther (except it shoot a more powerful round than a .380)

and for the home I have a S&W M19 .357 with a load of Glaser safety slugs... (sort of a compromise between a handgun and a shotgun)

I'm also getting a Beretta 9000s and the Baby Eagle.
I was also thinking of a P99

If you are looking for a concealable weapon...maybe a Taurus PT111 (9mm) in semi-auto or a Ruger, S&W or Taurus small revolver.

Remember one thing...it isn't the size of the gun... it's
Shot placement, placement, placement....

As with anything, you'll need to practice.....

brainpan
01-02-2002, 04:36 PM
here's a great place to ask questions....

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=10&TID=1548&SID=813222

Dark Knight
01-02-2002, 04:43 PM
"Remember one thing...it isn't the size of the gun... it's
Shot placement, placement, placement.... "

This is so true. I like my .45, but the .40 is just a good. People will give a ton of reasons why to go with certain rounds, but plcement is most important. A good .38 Special or .357 revolver will be more than enough.

For training videos check out Gunsite http://www.gunsite.net/ or Thunder Ranch.

Also try IDPA in your area, its fun and teaches pratical shooting.
http://www.idpa.com/

But nothing replaces going to the range and practice.

BTW
http://www.uws.com/Video_Shooting.html
http://www.gunaccessories.com/
http://www.guntruths.com/Myths/truth_about_myths.htm
http://www.gungames.com/

tsunami surfer
01-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Excelent advice from all. Bak Mie my suggestion is to find a reputable fire arm dealer that is also has a range(indoor or outdoor) that will let you rent a firearm to see if you like it. All weapons are different and handle diffrently. Try to test as many as possible. Like a MA instuctor shop around for a shooting instructror. Some are great some are frauds. Since you ar a new shooter dont worry about caliber. Go for what is comfortable for YOU.

Muzzle control is knowing where the firearm is pointed at all times.

brainpan
01-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
[B]"Remember one thing...it isn't the size of the gun... it's
Shot placement, placement, placement.... "

This is so true. I like my .45, but the .40 is just a good. People will give a ton of reasons why to go with certain rounds, but plcement is most important. A good .38 Special or .357 revolver will be more than enough.

I always found it funny... in Wing Chun, my Sifu always said the 3 important rules were..
1. footwork
2. footwork
3. footwork

In BJJ the three changed to
1. base
2. base
3. base

hehehe why always three rules? :D

Sam Wiley
01-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Muzzle control is knowing where and when to point the gun and why or why not to. So many people die of injuries that didn't have to happen simply because they or someone else lacked this fundamental aspect of handling the weapon. In my opinion, safety courses should be required for those interested in owning any kind of firearms, and documentation of the completion of the course should be required to be shown for the purchase of any firearm. You don't know how many times I have had a gun pointed at me or have seen guns pointed at others by people showing off (and with no intention to shoot and without any hostility towards me or the others) or playing around. Everyone always claims the gun was unloaded, but that's exactly what the people who blew their own brains out or someone else's out thought as well.

The last time this happened, I was challenged to prove my claim that it took just as long to remove a spent magazine and load a magazine into an automatic pistol as it did to empty the cylinder of a revolver and load it with a speed loader, and that therefore the arguments for using pistols because of the speed factor during loading were faulty. I won the contest because he did not chamber the first round (although some guns do this automatically, his did not) and my revolver did not need to have anything chambered. Anyway, he pointed his gun at me to show he had finished and at the same time I pointed my gun to the side and away from him and myself both. I very nearly shot him on principle alone. Although he is a friend of mine, he has no concept of the consequences that might happen should something go wrong, and so exercises no responsibility or control over where he points the thing. I have told him several times that he has no business touching a gun let alone owning one, with detailed reasons why, and he has no idea what I am talking about.

And for the record, I prefer revolvers. I carry a Ruger .357. A very nice little gun.

Dark Knight
01-02-2002, 05:37 PM
For concealment revolvers and autos are fine. Look into Inside the Waistband holsters, butt packs, belly bands...

BTW I have known many top shooters and police trainers who say the 357 is the best round, can stop an attacker, penetrate car doors or other obsticles better than most rounds. The use of 357 or 38 specials in the same gun. And with a revolver if a round misfires just pull the trigger and the next one comes up.

Also if you have to hand it to someone else for backup, they do not have to check safteys or special operations, just point and pull the trigger.

I also own a 357. I drop in the 38's for my wife when we shoot, she doesnt like the 357 rounds.

tsunami surfer
01-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Hey Sam! You are right to some degree. Since you carry a revolver you will be faster than a no brain slob with an automatic pistol. You probably train with it alot. However if you go against someone who trains with a semi auto he will probably beat you. As there are less steps to reloading an auto than a revolver. Stay away from undisiplined range slobs. Those guys are an accident waiting to happen.

brainpan
01-02-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Sam Wiley
Muzzle control is knowing where and when to point the gun and why or why not to. So many people die of injuries that didn't have to happen simply because they or someone else lacked this fundamental aspect of handling the weapon. In my opinion, safety courses should be required for those interested in owning any kind of firearms, and documentation of the completion of the course should be required to be shown for the purchase of any firearm. You don't know how many times I have had a gun pointed at me or have seen guns pointed at others by people showing off (and with no intention to shoot and without any hostility towards me or the others) or playing around. Everyone always claims the gun was unloaded, but that's exactly what the people who blew their own brains out or someone else's out thought as well.

Some cops are known to be brain-dead as well.... You'd think they would know better. I've heard of several off-duty cops shooting people by mistake at gun shows.

Chang Style Novice
01-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Anyone over 12 who thinks of a gun as a toy should not be permitted to own one. Or breed. Or be allowed in my presence.

ewallace
01-03-2002, 08:29 AM
With all the issues surrounding kids getting hold of their parents firearms, here is a good idea (don't have one myself) :
http://www.gunlocker.com/glocker.htm

Dark Knight
01-03-2002, 09:03 AM
"However if you go against someone who trains with a semi auto he will probably beat you. As there are less steps to reloading an auto than a revolver. "

A couple of years ago a guy with a revolver won a major International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) event. He had the reloading down to just as fast.

For the average untrained guy against another untrained the auto will be faster. Trained against trained will be the better trained.

Besides the steps are less than you think. Im an Auto fan, a good revolver guy can explain this better.

rogue
01-03-2002, 09:18 AM
I used to carry a S&W Model 36. I'm not looking to get into a gun fight, just defend myself.

One problem that I've found, even though I live in a state where I can carry on the street, many companies now have a no guns on premisis rule. One reason why my gun is now locked away. :(