PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun blocks

IronFist
01-02-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi,

Is there a list somewhere of Wing Chun blocks? Hopefully a website with pictures? I ask because all the "lists" I've seen so far are kind of incomplete... I have a few "wing chun basics" tapes and they all have a few in common, but some leave out ones that others mention, and vice versa. And then I borrowed a book by William Cheung and it has a bunch that neither of my videos have. I want a complete list but I'm having trouble compiling one from my sources.

Thanks,
Iron

Wei Sui
01-02-2002, 03:16 PM
Here's a link that I stumbled upon (offensive/defensive hands of wing chun).....but, to me it seems to me more of a TWC site. I don't have use for it, perhaps you do.

link (http://www.wingchun-kungfu.com.au/photos/)

IronFist
01-02-2002, 03:28 PM

Iron

Wingman
01-02-2002, 06:10 PM
What is TWC?

Traditional Wing Chun

S.Teebas
01-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Some think of constantly rotating a sphere (throw a pebble at a spinning basket ball..it will bounce off no matter which angle it enters from).
It is unlikely we will walk around the streets with a sphere... but tan, fuk and bong when in motion can trace circle and cause the same effect. ...chi sau training this???;)

Dont think in static terms of: use this block for this strike...a universal solution is better (ie can protect from infinate posibilities).

Who are you learning under Ironfist?...

anerlich
01-02-2002, 07:30 PM
wingman is correct.

just to elaborate, Traditional Wing Chun is the trademarked name for William Cheung's style of Wing Chun.

AN

hunt1
01-02-2002, 07:46 PM
Subject says it all.

Wingman
01-02-2002, 08:18 PM
There are no blocks in wing chun. Wing chun's tan sao, fook sao, bong sao, etc. does not stop the punch just like karate's blocks. It merely redirects the force of the punch (change its direction).

whippinghand
01-02-2002, 11:11 PM
Anything else, Wingman?

S.Teebas
01-03-2002, 01:02 AM
I though i just said that???..... :)

IronFist
01-03-2002, 01:28 AM
Who are you learning under Ironfist?...

Well, since there are no WC teachers within a 1 hour radius of where I live (but like 15 Tae Kwon Do schools), I'm learning under my VCR :) There's not even a WC school within 1 hour of my university. Booooo!

Seriously tho, most of the tapes I've seen are pretty crappy, but I'm trying none the less.

Before anyone jumps down my throat for studying from tapes, I've had a background in Isshinryu since I was in 2nd grade, and I studied Hapkido for a short while in high school, so I'm not a total newbie.

I'm just finding it hard to find clear cut basic techniques of the system.

Iron

Sihing73
01-03-2002, 03:55 AM
Hi IronFist,

I know what it's like to not have Wing Chun instruction near me :)
Although I don't advocate trying to learn from videos, too many nuances can be missed, here are some recommendations.

1) Chung Kwok Chows series of tapes.
Some of the most detailed I have seen. He gives a good explanation of energy and techniques.

2) Augustine Fongs videos
He goes into a fair amount of detail as well and has more of the "solo" type of drills on some of his tapes.

3) Randy WIlliams videos
Although I have not seen these one of my students liked them. He says they are very detailed. If nothing else he is quite prolific ;)

There are many others available but at least the first two above are my suggestions. Of course, I am biased as I train under Chung Kwok Chow :D Good luck.

Peace,

Dave

IronFist
01-03-2002, 10:48 AM
sihing73,

actually, I have the first Chung K. Chow video, and 4 videos by Augustine Fong (Basics, Sil Lim Tao, Sparring, and Wooden Dummy). I've got a dummy, too, since I don't have anyone to practice with, I built a dummy cuz I figured it's better than nothing, right? I'll post a few pics of it on KFO because some people wanted to see it, but I need to wait til this roll of film is done :)

One thing about Fong's videos is that (at least on the ones I have) he never says "ok, this is a pak sao. This is tan sao." etc. That's kind of what I want. Chung K. Chow does do that, in fact he goes through 9 different blocks, but from other sources I've read or seen I'm thinking that his list of 9 is not complete. Plus, two of them look the same (maybe it's the angle).

That's why I bug the people here so much with my questions :)

Iron

Sihing73
01-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi Iron Fist,

Being that I am a student of Chung Kwok Chow you can feel free to e-mail me with any questions about his approach. If I can't answer it I would be glad to ask Sifu about it. If I remember correcty the first video he put out was on Free Sparring, is this the one you have or do you have the Sui Nim Tau one?

The exchange of knowledge is what this board is here for so as long as we can keep personal differences out of it this is the place to ask questions.

You can e-mail me at either of the below but I check the second one more frequently.

sihing73@juno.com
dmcknight@rcn.com

Peace,

Dave

IronFist
01-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Sihing73, yeah, his first video is Combat applications of Wing Chun.

I might pick up a few more of his videos, despite the fact that they are expensive, because his do seem to be more comprehensive than the Panther series.

Thanks for your help, I'll probably email you soon with q's ;)

Iron