PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Austin board members-TIME TO FEED

JWTAYLOR
01-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Chang Style Novice and I are going to get a bite to eat today.

Anybody else in and around Austin want to come along?

Don't worry, the rumours of Chang Style Novie actually being a Wookie are slightly exaggerated.

JWT

Chang Style Novice
01-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Mraaaaaaaw!

Chang Style Novice
01-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Hello? Anyone?

Okay, Halfling is a teenage UT student, so she's probably out of town. GreyMystik was pming me yesterday, but I don't see him online right now. Future Man is probably at work. GGL I don't know much about. Who else is there...?

Come on out the woodwork, you Austinites. I promise I'm not Chewbacca's cousin, just a perfectly ordinary Sasquatch.

rubthebuddha
01-03-2002, 09:41 AM
i knew you were from the PNW!

speaking of austinines, what do the rest of us call ourselves in relation to the cities or regions we live in?

i'll go second (chang went first): i live in the city of bellingham, and we call ourselves 'hamsters.

next?

Chang Style Novice
01-03-2002, 09:48 AM
How humiliating! I typoed "Austinites" and now rubthebuddha thinks we're called "Austinines." I just hope I can save him from himself - oh, and me.

I am somewhat PNW, though. I was born in SF, CA and came to Austin when I was very short. Then I spent a few years moving around as an oil brat (and child of divorced parents with joint custody) that ended up with me living in Anchorage AK from 8-12th grade. Now I've lived here with only brief interruptions for about 14 years. I consider myself Texan, and if people born here don't like it, tough.

So, what kind of food do you want, Jon?

JWTAYLOR
01-03-2002, 09:57 AM
I may have to cancel, I let you know in a few minutes.
Trouble brewing.

JWT

JWTAYLOR
01-03-2002, 10:12 AM
I am a no go for launch.

Next week would be cool. Maybe that would give some of the other Austin folks time to plan.

JWT

rubthebuddha
01-03-2002, 10:13 AM
ah well. apparently captain dyslexia struck again, i dunno.

but austinines sounds kinda cool. just be careful that you don't accidentally forget the t, because then it's coming rather close to assinine, and we all know that that's reserved for houston. :D

Chang Style Novice
01-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Jon -

Sorry you had to cancel. It'd be good to see you again. I hope not to be moping around the house so much next week, but only time will tell. Let's keep kicking this thread to the top to try and get a good group together.

buddharubber -

It's not dyslexia on your part. When I saw your reply to my post, I went back and edited to correct the spelling.

And there's nothing wrong with Houston that raising it above sea level wouldn't fix.

rubthebuddha
01-03-2002, 10:23 AM
sea level? kinda like los angeles, no?

and i was wondering if you cheated or not. dāmn you!

GreyMystik
01-03-2002, 12:59 PM
sure i'm up for an austin gathering, the best times to catch me (if within the next week) are tomorrow (friday), saturday, sunday, monday (train during afternoon but otherwise free), tuesday... wed-sat i'll be working afternoons and evenings :rolleyes:
hope to catch you guys!

halfling
01-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Hello all..... I know I'm a little late responding to this but I just saw it. I'd actually like to meet some of you guys for lunch or whatever, (JWT, I'm trying very hard to find time to come up and observe your class sometime). Chang your right I'm out of town for a bit, back home in good old Midland, TX. I wont be back till classes start again. My boyfriend and I would enjoy meeting for lunch if you guys ever get together when we're there. He goes to UT also and trains the same system I do. He's better than I am though. :) anyhow, let me know if you guys plan on getting together and well try to stop by and mingle a bit. If not JWT, maybe ill show up at your class some saturday. thanks for the invite.

Chang Style Novice
01-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Okay, classes start the 14th, so you'll be back by then, right.

So, does week after next work for everybody?

Still lookin' forward to it.

-Austin

halfling
01-06-2002, 09:54 PM
Yeah, ill be back a few days before the 14th. I can't promise that I'll be able to show. Between classes and work I have a pretty full schedule especially around lunch time during the week. My boyfriend also is pretty busy during the days but maybe it will work out. Keep us informed. Thanks again.

Chang Style Novice
01-07-2002, 03:49 PM
Bumping up.

Hungry Texans, when and where (and less importantly, what flavor?)

When the desert cart comes, remember the Alamode!

Chang Style Novice
01-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Bumping it up.

Any further thoughts, chowhounds?

JWTAYLOR
01-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Hows about friday sometime?

JWT

GreyMystik
01-09-2002, 02:34 PM
howdy fellow texans... any time after friday the 18th works for me; however i work wed thurs fri and sat from 1:30 until the end of time, so if on one of those days would have to be noon-ish or earlier. any other day i'm pretty much free, so...

halfling
01-09-2002, 11:52 PM
I wont be home till friday afternoonish or so. I have a long drive and stuff..... also, my boyfriend wont be in town yet either and he would like to meet you guys too. soooo...... maybe if you get together at a later date, well try to attend. Isn't scheduling a *****? YES I SAY!!!!! ok, keep us notified.

JWTAYLOR
01-10-2002, 08:09 AM
That's cool, but I'll be hungry tomorrow around lunchtime.

Chang Style Novice/Austin, wanna get some lunch?

JWT

Chang Style Novice
01-10-2002, 02:25 PM
Doesn't look like I can make it tomorrow. Maybe next week? I'll have to check and post back later.

JWTAYLOR
01-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Well tomorrow, when you see that guy sitting by himself at lunch, muttering inanaely to no one, well, that will be Old Jong. But the guy sitting alone behind him trying to read his credit card number for the check, that will be me.

JWT

future man
01-16-2002, 11:18 PM
I'd really like to join y'all for lunch. However, I'll need a little lead time to work it into my schedule... How about sometime next week?

John

GreyMystik
01-21-2002, 10:58 PM
you guys still wanna do this? let's do it! :D

JWTAYLOR
01-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Sure, I just back from vacation at Big Bend. Lunch today or any other time this week is mucho bueno.

JWT

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Today doesn't work for me, but tomorrow's a good bet.

Have a good time in the 'mountains'? (As someone who has lived in California and Alaska, I refuse to call what Texas has real mountains.)

rubthebuddha
01-23-2002, 09:23 AM
there are no mountains in texas. hills, maybe. mounds? sure. but mountains? the nearest ones east of the rockies are in switzerland.

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Now Denali (http://www.ambuehler.ch/trip_reports/usa_1989-1990/denali.gif), THAT'S a mountian!

JWTAYLOR
01-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Denali was pretty cool. I had the incredible fortune of having a Denali guide as a next door neighbor for about a year. I got to go with him REALLY cheap one year with a group he was guiding. I had to drag some gear for a couple of folks too old to do that climb, but it was still incredible. Unfortunately, we were not able to summit. The guide and I could have, but his clients certainly could not. I would very much like to do it again.

Although I do enjoy the Chisos mountains and the Chisos basin, what I really go for is the Chihuahuan dessert of the east side of the park. There is nothing quite like it. I'm going back again in three weeks. I'm more than happy to set up a KFO dessert treck if anyone else is serious about it.

Oh, and I'll be hungry tomorrow again.

JWT

future man
01-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Tomorrow works for me... want to shoot for meeting around 11:30 - 12noon. Somewhere Central?

Any preferences?

John

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Yeah, tomorrow central works fine for me. My very favorite place to lunch these days is waaaay up north (Little Bombay) but I'm sure anyplace you guys choose will work fine.

Here's an email address I can check from most anywhere, just in case I don't get on KFO tomorrow morning

philisttine@yahoo.com

Notice the two 't's in philisttine.

JWTAYLOR
01-23-2002, 01:27 PM
El Arroyo at noon.

Any other central suggestions?

JWT

halfling
01-23-2002, 02:12 PM
i can't come tomorrow. I work all day. im not sure about my boyfriend though. get back to you later.

GreyMystik
01-23-2002, 02:22 PM
make it 11:30am, noon is too close to work for me (1:30pm)... where's El Arroyo?

future man
01-23-2002, 02:32 PM
There are several El Arroyo locations, but I'm assuming we're talking about the central one, off of W. 5th Street just East of Mopac at Lake Austin Blvd.

John

JWTAYLOR
01-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Yep, that's the one I'm talking about, the one actually built on an arroyo.

They always have a different sign out in fron every day. The owner is a big supporter of Governor Perry, so I visit there just about every week.

It's on 5th just west of that car wash that woman was abducted from a few years ago. And right across from the chainsaw repair store. Hmm, I never put those two together before...

11:30 is cool. See you there. Hope the rest of you can show up. Chang Style Novice/Austin is the one that looks like a wookie, and I'm the pretty one.

JWT

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Future man and I know each other, so no sweat there. As for the rest, if we give a kungfu salute to everyone who walks in the door, we may embarrass ourselves, but at least everyone will know it's us.

The GREat Ro0ster
01-23-2002, 08:41 PM
yo doods, i am really really gonna try to get over there for lunch if i can scrounge up a ride...........hope i can make it

GreyMystik
01-23-2002, 09:10 PM
where ya live bud i may be able to help... as i'm sure several people can?

The GREat Ro0ster
01-23-2002, 09:30 PM
well...............if you could pick me up at the UT campus somewhere, maybe at teh corner of mlk and speedway(congress) that would work, i could be tehre at 1130 sharp

GreyMystik
01-23-2002, 10:00 PM
email me GreyMystik@aol.com
i can probably work out a way to come get you if you can get a ride back..i'll have to go straight to work after lunch

The GREat Ro0ster
01-23-2002, 10:14 PM
well then 86 that idea, the only way im getting around right now is peeing in my shoes and floating (car dead), anyway, thanks for the offer though, ill try to think of something

GreyMystik
01-23-2002, 10:16 PM
you guys will know me by my tattoos and i'll wear a dragon shirt

rooster, man i'm sure someone there can give you a ride back... sorry i would but i can't cause i gotta be at work

The GREat Ro0ster
01-23-2002, 10:19 PM
ok cool i got a ride to and fro, but thanks alot for offering, ill be there prolly wearing a brown polo shirt and black jacket if its cold enough looking forward to it

Chang Style Novice
01-23-2002, 10:33 PM
http://www.capmetro.org

It looks to me like El Arroyo is right on the Lake Austin Shuttlebus route, which originates at Guadalupe & 21st and runs every 15 minutes or so.

JWTAYLOR
01-24-2002, 08:03 AM
Well, since I, like a dumba$$, decided to prove that I'm not a sissy and rode my motorcycle in this mornign, I'll be the shivering wet basta@rd with the helmet.

JWT

JWTAYLOR
01-24-2002, 12:09 PM
AZAA! I'm the first one back to post.

A good time was had by all. Once we got the Rooster's friends to finally shut up, everyone got along well.

Photos were taken. Hopefully someone will post them.

Hope we can do it again.

JWT

future man
01-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it was good to meet everyone in person. I would have liked to have been able to talk more with everyone, but it was kinda difficult with the long table. :-)

I'm up for doing it again next month.

John

diego
01-24-2002, 12:20 PM
rapstation.com you can even emial him and his good answers he posts up on his page, cool huh:cool:

GGL
01-24-2002, 12:33 PM
I just saw the whole topic and am sorry i missed it..... It would be kool if the Austin Kung Fu population could get together again..

anyway I would like for it to happen again sometime soon

Greg

GreyMystik
01-24-2002, 01:20 PM
definately was cool, i'll post my pic late tonight when i get home... after i censor JWT's rather..umm...lewd display ;)
seriously though , was fun we should make it a monthly gig or something...

The GREat Ro0ster
01-24-2002, 02:48 PM
that was cool, i wish we had more time to just sit and talk, but we should try to make this a monthly thing

halfling
01-24-2002, 07:25 PM
Hello, I talked to my boyfriend and he said you guys had a good time. I wish i could have been there. YOu guys have to do it again so i can come next time. Im glad you had fun, looking forward to seeing the pictures. Talk to you later.

GreyMystik
01-25-2002, 01:14 AM
ok guys here's the pic of us all... from left to right, JWT, GreyMystik (me), Chang Style Novice, FutureMan, TheGreatRooster,2 of Rooster's buddies (sorry don't remember their names hehe) :D :D :D

sorry so small, the board wont' allow anything over 100k :rolleyes:

Chang Style Novice
01-25-2002, 07:45 AM
Yeah, that was a good time alright.

But what say next time we hit a place where they cook the food, not the clientele?