PDA

View Full Version : Aikido demo clip - Hiroshi Isoyama, 8th Dan

shaolinboxer
01-03-2002, 09:37 AM
http://www.aikidojournal.com/Video/Isoyama_1983.asp

Nice iriminage!

Daniel Madar
01-03-2002, 01:45 PM
With no comment at all about the guy's technique, just once I'd like to see an aikido guy go up against someone who has even a basic idea of how to actually use a knife.

shaolinboxer
01-03-2002, 02:19 PM
It is interesting that you assume he is imitating a knife attack.

GreyMystik
01-03-2002, 02:43 PM
i don't see any assumption, he just said he would like to see for once someone go up against a competent knife user...?

shaolinboxer
01-03-2002, 02:57 PM
ok, fair enough :)

Ka
01-03-2002, 03:34 PM
While I have nothing but respect for Aikido ,mainly for its purely defensive nature I see the use of fully committed attacks as necessary for the training of techniques,interesting to see the use of atemi(i think its called that)strikes which I have noticed that some modern schools don't seem to teach or they have fallen into the "its a higher level thing" deal.Just I feel there is always an overemphasis of the over hand strike in a lot of there demos.After saying all that I don't know of many taichi guys over here who can throw so fluidly. :)

Fu-Pow
01-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Did anyone notice that the guy was totally off balance before he ever got thrown.

What would an aikido player do against someone that was on balance and rooted down.

It seems like it wouldn't work.

Ka
01-03-2002, 08:29 PM
Its not so much as overbalance as comitment to the target without tracking to his evasion.This is aided with momentum,you will notice that all attacks start a good 4-5 m away.No fast probing jabs here. :)

shaolinboxer
01-04-2002, 08:07 AM
You cannot root too much in a fully committed attack while being an uke. It hinders your ability to take ukemi (safely absorb heavy blows and throws with your body). However, much aikido training is spent developing a strong root and learning to counter a strong root. But again, giving up your root for your own safety is part of this kind of training exercise.

Avoiding jabs is easy. You just stand out of range ;).
I learned that kicking boxers and boxing kickers.

Ka
01-04-2002, 11:03 PM
True but ususally trained frighters don't throw a jab unless the target is in range :)