PDA

View Full Version : Openers for a fight

buksing_king
01-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi everyone

I was wandering what openers you guys use when you spar with someone or if you were to fight someone

I am especially interested in Choy Lay Fut Buk Sing openers since I currently practise that art

The opener I use is a Gwar to a charp to a saew

Which is basically an attack sweeping a way there guard followed by a charp chui ( punch with fore-knuckles) followed by a kind of hooking punch

By sharing openers it opens up a whole new depth on opening a fight ....... just thought I'd like to share that

Buby
01-03-2002, 10:24 AM
"attack sweeping a way there guard"? Can you give a better description, so that I can ge a better visual.

Thanks in advance!

Buby

nospam
01-03-2002, 05:29 PM
I'll bite.

I normally will move in (forward) with a sai ping ma shuffle (right side forward) while my right hand circles up and attacks high (yum tsap choi)- as this maneuver is either blocked or countered, I shuffle forward again while the same lead hand circles backward and targets the neck (ping tsap choi or a stadard level-leapard-choi). From here, the interaction is too dynamic to go further and will vary depending on my opponent. This is my fav technique. I might substitute the ping tsap for a left hand jick choi (straight punch-ding gi ma).

I like doing a gwa choi to clear my opponents mitts- as I step forward. Almost all movements are accompanied with some forward motion- attack! attack! attack! is the best defense :-)

A standard attack taught is also a step into ding gi ma-straight punch, followed by sai ping ma shuffle-straight punch. This is usually a high/low attack.

Sui gwa (back fist) - straight punch - sau choi.

That's enuff for now.

nospam
:cool:

anton
01-03-2002, 06:45 PM
It's pretty hard to defend against a well timed and well executed gwa-charp-sow combo.
If they're a bit dayzed and you wanna be a smartass you can chuck in a jumping (can't remember the proper name) been-chui.

Sow Choy
01-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Hello everybody,

Good post, well in sparring or sanshou, I usually get my opponent to shoe me their technique.

If they are a good kicker, I might check the leg with a side or sweep kick, followed by unrhythmical straights, sow's and cup choys.

Puncher, I like to counter while they retreat or again jam them with a kick.

Mainly using different angles, different timimg, and adjust according to my opponent.

My other favorites...

For me to know and my opponent to find out! ;)

Real fighting, unfortunately I was jumped by 5 guys in a nightclub recently. I was suckered punched form behind, and then 4-5 of them started punching me in the face. I went down for a moment and was stunned really bad. I knew my face was a mess, but it didn't bother me much, got up and started fighting back. Busted at least one of them pretty bad, created a circle they backed off, and I used Run Fu and split.

I'm not bragging at all, could care less about real fighting. But CLF saved my ass. Used many Gwa Choy Jik Choy, Gwa Choy Sow Choys (which busted someones nose). I had a black eye, and a busted lip which needed 5 stitches. I felt horrible teaching looking like Rocky Balboa.

So now, I try and train for the unexpected more, and do more 2 on1 or 3 on 1 sparring.

Thanks for reading my post.

Peace

Joe

buksing_king
01-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Hey there good replies

I think it faire to say that it is un-productive and typical for someone to say " you think a "player" is just going to let you do that"

I mean come on....... CLF never ever fight CLF in the street so I think that if it turns physical and you have drilled a good opener it will work

I also especially like the attack " charp-chui from din gee ma to a sinking charp chui or punch sliding in to say ping ma "

Also do you guys ever open with a punch - kick combo? I see people in advanced levels do it all the time but i am not even mid-way through our system so i dont know any !!!

Thanks for all the good replies its nice to know what people on the other side of the world are starting fights with !! :D JUst kidding :p

alecM
01-05-2002, 11:56 AM
buksing_king
That combo is one of my favourite moves. I also use it with a tiger claw instead of a chap choi or yum chap choi instead of sow choi.

nospam
I will reply to you email about yat mun kuen when I've learned a bit more about it's history.

anton
01-05-2002, 04:01 PM
Are you talking about the one where you do a sow chui and a kick at the same time in a sort of "scissor action" -- that used to be one of my favourites, its mad ****. I used to start of in horse, then do a gwa chui followed by a tiger claw to set them up for it and get the full twist in my waist, then follow though with the saow and the kick.

nospam
01-05-2002, 10:37 PM
alecM,

Much appreciated.

I'd be interested in how yours looks. Perhaps, as I did in my e-mail, you might describe the first couple of moves.

nospam.
:cool:

buksing_king
01-06-2002, 03:06 AM
Is to do a Gwar with your left hand followed by a charp-chui with the right aswell as a bak sow(thigh kick) with your right leg

Thanks for the replies :)

tnwingtsun
01-07-2002, 02:25 PM
For Attack and defence...........

Advance with hand and foot.