PDA

View Full Version : Boston Kung Fu Role Call

Ford Prefect
01-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering how many people are still on here from Boston and how many new Bostonians are on the forum. Where do you guys train? Any of the old members go to see Rev's comedy act any time lately?

Myself, I currently train JKD and BJJ with Joe Maffei. I trained BJJ and got my blue belt from Roberto Maia (boston bjj) and was captain of my college's boxing team for a year and just a member for another. I also trained Kempo Karate for a few years when I was a wee tike, but I don't really count that. ;) Oh, I also trained with Park Bok-Nam's Ba Gua group for 6 months before leaving it for BJJ. Other than that, I've dabbled with Folkstyle Wrestling, Judo, and Muay Thai.

Ky-Fi
01-03-2002, 03:40 PM
Hey Ford,
I'm still around here. Currently taking Taiji saber weekly with Dr. Yang up at the North Andover branch. I had been doing the weekend seminars for a few years at the Boston school, but living on the North Shore, I've found a 30 minute drive through country roads up to North Andover MUCH preferable to a 50 minute drive through hell down to Boston :). Also, weekly classes give me more time to absorb stuff---those weekend seminars are VERY intensive, and sometimes it's hard to keep the mental focus by day 3. What with work and some grad classes, I'm not training too hardcore, but I enjoy it a lot. This class goes on for another couple months, then I think he may offer a class on Taiji staff, which I would be very psyched for.

There's so many other martial arts around here I'm interested in, but man, I feel like I barely have the time to practice what I should be practicing in Taiji.

I haven't been in to see the Rev since we went in 2000---is he still doing the shows? Why did that bum quit posting here :)?

Ford Prefect
01-04-2002, 07:36 AM
I hear ya. I work in Waltham and live in-town, but I'd still hate to have to drive to Hyde Park... You ever get to that fencing class? I have no idea what happenned to Rev. I saw a couple more times at the Hong Kong, but I'm not sure if he's still doing a show there or why he stopped posting. Maybe he's preparing an HBO special. ;)

Ky-Fi
01-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Ahh, the fencing class. Funny story there. It was late last Spring when I got the flyer for a summer-long fencing class put on by the town’s Recreational Dept. It looked pretty cool, and it wasn’t too expensive, and I thought it would be a good way to get the basics and see if I wanted to pursue it further. The instructor gave a demonstration in the park the week before the class was to start. He brought out a bunch of swords, shields and armor, and proceeded to give a good lecture and demo on the history, applications and evolution of English swordfighting, and it ended with a modern fencing demo. The problem is that there were about 15 other prospective students there, and except for some parents, I was the only one over age 12 :) . When he had to tone down his description of a pommel strike to the forehead to “bonk him on the head” for the kiddies, I knew I couldn’t take 8 weeks of that. So, I opted not to sign up. It’s too bad though, because the guy seemed to really know what he was talking about---I’m going to keep an eye out if he offers any adults-only classes.

Ford Prefect
01-04-2002, 02:32 PM
LOL! You could have at least been the class sparring terror! ;)

Ky-Fi
01-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Ky-Fi: "What's the matter, Timmy? That move you used against your little sister didn't work too well on me, huh? So WHAT if I'm a grownup and outweigh you by 100 lbs--get up and quit cryin' you little wuss!

ANYBODY ELSE WANNA TRY ME?!

:) :)

jun_erh
01-05-2002, 08:21 AM
Hi. I'm Chris. I'm starting with Calvin Chin this spring. I 'm a total know nothing who's been training and reading on my own for about a year or so. Doesn't stop me from talking **** in these forums ba hahah! Seriously, I like all of it. I'm buying a gracie book just because everyone talks about it here so much. Lately I've been reading old boxing manuals. There's one at the BPL that's an old bare knuckles boxing book that's just amazing. It's from 1900 or something. Have you guys ever been to Silky Way? I go there to browse alot. In Chinatown. Also, Video Oasis in Cambridge has several hundred martial arts titles, new and lots of stuff from the seventies (my preference). :D

Ky-Fi
01-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey Chris,

What style does Calvin Chin teach? That's cool that you're going to be formally studying under someone---I've done some training on my own, and it's always enlightening when you contrast that with some serious instruction from somebody who really knows what they're talking about.

I don't get into Boston all that often, and it's been a couple years since I went to Silky Way--cool place, though. But as far as Chinatown, I always have to put in a plug for dim sum at Chow Chau City---man, I could eat that every day of the week!

TaoBoxer
01-05-2002, 03:17 PM
I just got to Boston 6-8 weeks ago and I have been visiting schools. I am looking for Ba Gua but no luck so far.

I have been doing some Ko Ryu Ju Jitsu in Allston with an old buddy of mine, and looking at starting some Hung Gar here in Quincy.

I am also teaching some tactical first-aid classes at the Sig-Arms Academy in New Hampshire, and some knife stuff as well.

I am considering starting a small Ba GUa Group here...anyone up for it???

Bill

jun_erh
01-06-2002, 10:03 PM
Bagua sounds interesting, I've read a couple Robert W Smith things and seen legend of Donxiu feng however you spell it. I'm very much into basic Shaolin at the moment and learning that, not really at the level where I could do Bagua I don't think. Yeah, it was tough picking a school. I used to be a skater (skateboard)and am a self taught musician. Musical instruction is much different than MA instruction. It's completely useless in generel, I learned by doing. So I was cynical about Kung Fu instruction. Before I forget Calvin Chin teaches Hung Gar and also Wu Style Tai Chi. Alot of the students there do both. He has two schools, one of which I think has a little more sparring and stuff. Anyway, yeah I didn't want some guy with a mullet barking at me or some ****. But, my instinct is that I'll waste more time trying to figure out stuff some one with experiance could show me in 2 seconds. The first book I ever bought was Leung Ting's volume on the Drunken Monkey form. A great introduction to the martial arts:D

Ford Prefect
01-07-2002, 10:41 AM
Ky-Fi,

I knew you played out at least a couple fantasies about it! ;)

Jun,

I've never visitted Chin's, but he teaches Hung Gar right? It's always good to get the formal instruction under your belt. Plus, you get to fight people. :) Silky Way is a **** good MA store, BTW.

TaoBoxer,

There is Ba Gua student group of Park Bok-Nam's in Watertown, which is right outside Boston and about 2 miles off exit 17 on the Pike. Park's web page is http://www.pa-kua.com I hear as far as Ba Gua goes, Park is one of the best around in the States. He gets to the group about 3-4 times/year. I trained there for a bit and even met and went to lunch with Park. He's a good guy and so are the other people in the group. It wasn't my bag, but if it's yours, I'm sure you'll have a good time there.