PDA

View Full Version : vitamins

marycatherine
01-03-2002, 08:26 PM
Hey All,

I know nothing about vitamins, so I'm really hoping you can help me out: I just ran out of my multivitamin and was wondering if anyone has a good multivitamin they can recommend...or is the idea that one can get enough vitamins in one tablet a myth? I've heard many mixed theories on this, so I was hoping for some input. Thanks!!!

marycatherine

prana
01-03-2002, 08:28 PM
multivitamins gives you stones.
How about just moderation and balanced diets ?

Silumkid
01-03-2002, 08:32 PM
marycatherine,

My personal fave of multis is "Max Complete" from MaxMuscle. They are gelcap type vitamins and made from food sources, although honestly, your body does not really differentiate between a vitamin from a lab or a vitamin from an apple. There are phytochemicals and nutrient differences of course but as long as your diet is decent and are looking to supplement, I stand by Max Complete.

marycatherine
01-03-2002, 08:34 PM
Prana,
You mean gallstones?

marycatherine
01-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Hey SilumKid,
Thanks for your input! I'd say my diet is decent...could always be better...this supplement isn't going to make me bulk up or anything will it? I mean the company's name is "max muscle", and I'm a 5'3" female...not a lot of height to carry bulk, ya know?

marycatherine

Silumkid
01-03-2002, 08:53 PM
marycatherine,

Nah, you know these supplement companies....they need a slick name and MaxMuscle sounds pretty cool!

The vitamins are just that...vitamins...if you were looking for a bulk/strength gainer I'd recommend some other stuff.

prana
01-03-2002, 09:09 PM
mary

gallstones, kidney stones, urea crystals... plus unless the proper enzymes are consumed with the vitamins, they are difficult to adsorb.

I bet 99% of American people (except the homeless) need have no use for vitamin supplements.

IronFist
01-03-2002, 09:19 PM
There's a generic WalMart brand called "One Daily." Don't take these, because I think they're not what the claim. It's a very low dosage multivitamin (100-150% of everything) and every time I take one it makes my stomach hurt.

GNC's mega man is supposed to be good.

If you're a guy, make sure the vitamin you get does NOT have iron, as men don't need extra iron (women do). Extra iron will make you constipated, and can do something to your joints, too.

Here's some vitamin info, so you understand what the label means. Ok. You will probably see high dosages of vitamin C, and also possibly B vitamins, which might be called B6, B12, etc, or maybe by their names, like Thiamin <sp> or whatever.

Now, these vitamins (vitamin C and all the B's) are water soluble. This means all your body needs to process them is water, which also means that any you don't use will be urined out.

The rest of the vitamins (A, K, D, etc.) are fat soluble. This means your body can't use them without fat, which is why you should take a multivitamin AFTER a meal (that had fat in it), otherwise your body won't make use of some of the vitamins in it. Also, fat soluble vitamins are stored in the fat... so, it is possible to overdose on such vitamins, since your body doesn't excrete what it doesn't use, so the dosages will probably be a bit less.

One way to "see" the effects is to take a vitamin with high levels of vitamin B. The one I use has like 1800% of some B vitamins per serving, which is two pills, but I only take one so that's 900%. Anyway, a few hours after I take one my píss is bright yellow. That's excess vitamin B. I'm not trying to be gross, I just don't want you to think you're dying if you take a multivitamin and then your pee turns a weird color.

Iron

IronFist
01-03-2002, 09:21 PM
then again, your name is marycatherine, so you're probably a chick, which means:

1) you need iron in your vitamins
2) you probably don't see your pee so you wouldn't know if it changes color :P

:D

Iron

ElPietro
01-04-2002, 07:39 AM
If you are a girl please don't be afraid of getting bulky all of a sudden. It's pretty much not possible without additional hormone supplementation. There's a little know thing called testosterone that guys have that girls don't. This is what causes us to grow. So unless you start taking some added testosterone you won't get much bigger. And you'd prolly be more concerned with the moustache at that point anyway. :D

Many multis have a coloured coating on them that is indegistible in many people. I would check your tablet and your urine as well. If your urine has changed colour as excess b-vit is flushed you know you have taken advantage of the multi. Hope that helps.

marycatherine
01-04-2002, 07:45 AM
Hey Iron Fist,
Thanks for your input!! Yes, I am a female, so I think it would be a good idea to have an extra source of iron. I'm usually kinda wary of generic vitamins because companies like Wal Mart make these to make money, not really because they know a lot about nutrition. But thanks for the advice...so do you mean that taking a 900% dosage of B complex is okay to do...I won't overdose?

Hey Silum Kid,
Thanks again for your advice, is Max Complete found at GNC?

Hey Prana,
I appreciate your concern, and I will keep in mind your advice.

Thanks!

marycatherine

"sometimes when I get nervous I stick my hands under my armpits..."

Brett Again
01-04-2002, 09:30 AM
There ARE adverse affects to "mega" dosing on some vitamins. I don't think 900% counts as megadosing... but thousands of times the recommended amount can be done quickly when taking vitamins in pill form.

However, a good quality multi-vitamin for women should be more than sufficient. Don't get the cheap store brand, but rather opt for a something like Shaklee that is well known for its quality.

However, assuming you have a decent diet, I think multivitamins are not much use, nor do they do much harm. However, this is probably the easiest way for you to get an iron and calcium supplement which IS important, so go for it.

Aramus
01-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Vitamins are good because most of us eat good, but we don't eat all we should. For a static lifestyle you are suppose to have 6-8 grains, 6 fruits, 6 vegetables (notice it isn't 6 fruits AND vegetables ...they are separate), 2 meats (or is it 4?), and 2 dairy...the last part all leave out...we all get enough oil, salt, etc. (assuming you are in the US). If you smoke (you'll need more vitamin B and I think C), exercise (more calcium...calcium is released when muscles work and need for other stuff), imbibe alcoholic beverages, etc...things change to some degrees. As Ironfist pointed out...you don't need iron in your multi-vitamins(minerals) for a guy, women may or may not need more. Vitamins and minerals sometimes are needed to work together to have an effect. In other words taking some vitamins in the same combination will not be as good as taking the right combination of Vitamin A, Vit C, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, B6, B12 (low blood pressure people like me...B12 is a good thing), Calcium, etc. Vitamins and minerals do not exist in a vacuum and taking the same amount is not necessarily a good thing. You may be decreasing the effectiveness or the impact of one vitamin or mineral or more. Watch out for generic multi-vitamins that could lead to the problems Prana pointed out.

I don't like to do the math, I let a company do that for me, I take a Mutligencis "Multi-vitamin/mineral" supplement by Metagenics. It says to take 4 a day with meals (Ironfist...soluable in water, fat, etc.)...the chiropractor says two will be fine...I'm doing two and I'm doing fine.

I'd tell you to ask a doctor, but I don't think many doctors would agree on what you should be taking...a nutritionist may have a different idea...good luck.

Peace.

Silumkid
01-04-2002, 10:04 PM
marycatherine,

No, Max Complete is only available through MaxMuscle....try www.maxmuscle.com for a store locator.

I also checked and Max Complete does not have any iron. However, they may carry a female blend...the website should have a complete rundown of their line as well. Hope that helps.

marycatherine
01-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Whew! So much valuable information!!! Aramus, I had thought of going to my dr. but as you brought up, the conflicting theories out there with vitamins/nutrition etc etc...The basic point of all this is that I want to make sure that my body is getting what it needs throughout my training and life. I'm not sure if my health insurance will cover a trip to a nutritionist and I'm not sure about how to pick a good one. I think with all the information I've been provided I'll also have to do a little trial and error with brands and types of vitamins. I just didn't want to humm dee dumm over to the store and pick a crappy vitamin that won't do me any good. Or, as Prana pointed out, cause me health problems in the future. And, Aramus, just as you pointed out, I try to eat healthfully but I don't feel I'm eating as healthfully as I could be.

ElPietro, what's testosterone? ;) You mean women shouldn't have moustaches? The surgeon told me that it was okay!! :D
just kiddin'!! Thanks for clearing that up, though, again I don't know much about all this stuff.

IronFist
01-06-2002, 12:23 AM
marycatherine said:
But thanks for the advice...so do you mean that taking a 900% dosage of B complex is okay to do...I won't overdose?

Sorry for the delay in replying. To the best of my knowledge, with water soluble vitamins, it is possible to overdose, but not likely. 900% of B is ok for most people. Besides, it's generally only the like "super sports" vitamin varities that are that high in doses. If you took 10 pills that were 900% every day for weeks you might have some bad consequences, however. If you're concerned you could always take one every other day.

Just be sure to do 2 things:

1. Always take one after a big meal
2. Make sure that either with the meal or after the vitamin you drink at least one full glass of water. But if you're being active anyway you should be getting enough water as it is.

Hope this helped,

Iron

marycatherine
01-06-2002, 03:46 PM
No problem with the "delay", I appreciate your input. Thanks a lot!!

MKG

TjD
01-07-2002, 01:33 PM
i usually get spectravite chewables from CVS... because theyre tasty :) mmm mmm

i find i have a hard time getitn myself to swallow a vitamin in the mornin, but those chewables taste like candy!! MMM MMM :) (im serious - i like em a lot) hehe

i figure theyre good enuff to round out whatever mistakes im making in my diet

hehe

peace
travis