PDA

View Full Version : NSW Kung Fu competition in June 30 2002

friday
01-03-2002, 09:31 PM
I am not quite sure what the name of this competition is but i have seen it advertised each year in Blitz etc magazines and it usually takes place on the 30 June in a big gymnasium in Liverpool NSW Australia. there are usually demos and sparring and routine competitions from different martial arts styles so i m not even sure whether its a kung fu comp.
ppl like former kung fu champion Rick Spain, Jin Wu Koon's Chan Cheuk Fai have provided demos in.
I was wondering about how good this is and whether ppl can give me some more information on this competitioin

diego
01-03-2002, 11:29 PM
did you get the email with the hopgar book first two punches???
every1 else recieved they copy!!!

fiercest tiger
01-04-2002, 01:21 AM
hi mate,

i have a friend sifu andy troung that has demo'd his school is wah nam and his guys got out there and did some baak mei last year.

ill ask him what he thinks, i may try and get my guys to demonstarte this year if they are up to par!:) :(

is it the martial arts spectacular?

friday
01-04-2002, 02:03 AM
thanks FT
yah something like that

if i can i would like to participate this year in the competition
just want to find out some more info on it such as
degree of difficulty, standard of the competition, styles involved, rules etc

whatever i can find out i guess

fiercest tiger
01-05-2002, 03:20 AM
The bad thing is they have KARATE people that judge your form etc how do they know the principles on Pak Hok?

Do they know what to look for?

but if you are going to just represent and get the name out it doesnt really matter!!:)

take it easy
Garry

friday
01-05-2002, 04:08 AM
Hi FT,

Actually I was considering competing not just doing a demo. Thats a fact I will take into consideration (that they are karate judges). I guess karate judges should be able to see whether a form has been done well even if it is from a different style with different principles - but I will have a rethink about it cos' i would like to have a chance at getting a place in any routine competition i enter.

thanks

Friday

Aussie John
01-06-2002, 02:26 PM
Good'ay Friday and Garry,
Happy New Year to you blokes.
Don't bother with that comp, it's all money making exercise for the Karate people. Andy went on it with his team last year, but they didn't felt they were treated properly afterward. Although the crowd went wild after their performances, it is still a karate based comp and I don't think they understand and appreciate the high ability of performing Kung Fu.

Cheers,

Aussie John.

Friday: How are you going??

fiercest tiger
01-06-2002, 03:38 PM
yeah as i thought! Andy sifu told me the same....happy new year mate!:D

joedoe
01-06-2002, 05:48 PM
If it si the same one I am thinking of, one of my training brothers won the men's forms competition a year or so back. Mostly Karate and TKD competitors though.

friday
01-06-2002, 08:11 PM
Thanks John

I don't think I will bother with that competition then. Originally because of the presense of relatively well known kung fu ppl at that competition I thought there would be many kung fu participants.
btw Would anyone know of any good reputable competitions for kung fu that take place in about 6-8 months.

Hi John

i m doing ok. my physical problems are getting less and less thanks to that doctor you recommended. Anyway he thinks i can probably start training again at the end of this month if i keep training now the way he has suggested. he is also monitoring how my body is taking the strengthening exercises he has told me to do - Anyway, what can I say he is pretty good. Once again thanks John.

how are u doing John? how are the classes or are you have a break during the school holidays? I would like to drop by in bankstown later to visit you when you have a class and take a look if you don't mind.

friday

Aussie John
01-07-2002, 06:12 AM
Hi Friday,
Glad your physical condition is improving, Simon is a really good doctor, his father's new and old injury ointments are just fantastic. It is very popular in Hong Kong, actually I picked up a few tubes for myself a week ago.

I am starting my classes on the 14th, just give me a call if you wish to visit.
Or you could come to my house on Sunday morning to do some training with me and my brother. I teach my daugthers and a few young students on Sunday, and may be we could go to Yum Cha in Bankstown afterward.

Cheers,

Aussie John

friday
01-08-2002, 12:13 AM
hi John,

thanks for the invitation. if i come on the sunday i won't be able to train or take a lesson at the moment but I wouldn't mind watching. btw u said your classes start on the 14th? so do u have a class this coming sunday?

regards,

friday

Aussie John
01-08-2002, 04:58 AM
Hi Friday,
This Sunday I will train with my brother and probably with some students returned from the break, so if you are free just give me a call.

Cheers,

John.

friday
01-11-2002, 12:22 AM
hey John,

Sorry I won't be able to make it this sunday but i will call u in the next couple of weeks for a visit

thanks,

hve a good weekend too

Friday