PDA

View Full Version : Relaxation Increases Blood Flow and Comfort

Nexus
01-04-2002, 11:04 AM
As many of us know, t'ai chi can help with circulation and increase of blood flow and so forth. Recently, over the last 6 months I have been adding neck exercises to my qi-gong warmups and workouts. Just recently, my neck opened up completely so to speak, and I now have complete free range and use of my neck where before there was tension when I bent it back all the way, or rolled it around. Now during my t'ai chi I get a sensation of my neck being completely suspended in an energetic sense where before as we all experience it as a muscle tension holding it up.

The reason this topic is about blood flow though is because recently when the neck opened up completely, I started getting slight headaches which I believe to be energy flowing to the third-eye more freely.

I just thought I would share this little piece of information because the neck exercises proved to be invaluable to me in gaining comfort in not only my t'ai chi but my life in general. Some of this plays into looking over your shoulder while driving, glancing to the side which we do all the time, and just general stuff. Not only that, but those kinks in the neck, gone, and that is a breakthrough for someone who sits in a chair programming computers 50% of his life.

The exercises are as follows: In standard standing post, wuji posture, feet shoulder length apart pointed forward, body relaxed etc.

1. While breathing to the dantien on the inhale look over the shoulder to the left, exhale bring the head facing forward. Then repeat process to but to the right, and continue for 15 breaths on each side or whatever is comfortable.

2. Allow the neck roll around slowly going from left to right, inhaling while you roll from the center forward position to the back of the neck and then exhale on the second half of the rotation. 15 breaths, and then reverse direction.

3. Lean the head back all the way while inhaling, and then lean forward slowly on the exhale. 15 breaths.

These 3 exercises over the course of 6 months have increased the ability to relax my neck and upper-back regions due to how neck muscles pull the muscles on the back up (Trapezius I believe which needs to be relaxed in t'ai chi as it is).

Simple exercises, and yet the benefits have proved to be most excellent, and I hope passing them on can be of some benefit to those of you looking to find relaxation and some sense of sung in these regions.

- Nexus

EARTH DRAGON
01-04-2002, 11:12 AM
It sounds like our basic warm up. We do a head to toe stretch before every tai chi class or practice. You must have complete relaxation mentally and physically before starting the set. I would think that you would do this excersise before you learned the second or third movement in the set? Have you not performed this excersise before as part of your warmup? Just wondering why you havent? thanks

Nexus
01-04-2002, 11:22 AM
Actually this warmup was taught since I first began, but I never included it as a personal warmup that I did on my own time. I would do it on Wed & Sat classes, but never on my own time. My emphasis on this thread was the gains I made from doing it daily, during my own warmups that I design on my own from the many different exercises I have to choose from.

Yes, during our warm up we do a exercise also where you rotate the hip, knee and ankle all in one circular motion on each side. We also do an exercise where you rotate the hips to the four corners of a square but in a circular fashion, nw, ne, sw, se corners so to speak.

Thanks for your interest, and good luck in your training.

- Nexus

EARTH DRAGON
01-04-2002, 11:26 AM
wow fast reponse, I have a tibetan excersise that you will love if you would like me to try to explain it over my post but it might be hard.. but just let me know. you can feel chi in a matter of minutes with this technique

CD Lee
01-04-2002, 11:30 AM
Guys, not to get off topic, but I thought you may be able to comment. You brought up standing post Wuji, and relaxation. I am new to Kung Fu, and have been practicing for three months with without sensations. I continued anyway, having faith that I was learning something.

Recently, whenever I stand in post, as I align my back and tuck in, I get an immediate warm tingling in my arms and hands. I was freaked out a bit at first by this, but I can feel this everytime, and it starts as soon as I get into the posture. I make my kids come over sometimes, and then I place my hands on them and they can feel the warmth. Pretty cool.

I am embarrassed to ask my Shifu, but what is this sensation? I have thought it may be Chi, or just that I am becoming more aware of what was already there? But I only feel this in my arms and hands.

What do you guys think?

Nexus
01-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Proper body alignment allows the qi to flow. When you tuck in the buttocks, and align the back, qi flows up the spine and throughout the body. You are likely starting to feel energy.

On another note, it would be to your benefit to work over the fear of asking your shifu questions. They should be open to any question that you have, and are likely to be comfortable embracing any type of question you approach them with. A good teacher will try to embrace the state-of-mind you approach them with, and will attempt at answering questions you have as well as they can, before laying any sort of judgement on the questions that you come to them with. That is their job, that is what they are there for, and the reason that they know the answers to those questions is because they once asked them themself! There will be things that only your teacher can show you in person and if you are ever in a teaching position. Of course, that is your issue to deal with, and you may just be more comfortable asking questions over time and as your relationship becomes more foundational with your teacher.

- Nexus