PDA

View Full Version : do you hakka and related systems use iron rings?

10-07-2000, 07:37 AM
in my training and teaching, we use the iron rings during form practise.
do you? and if you do ,do think that its useful?
what are your views on this ?

peace

LIN Q
10-08-2000, 03:27 PM
Iron Ring training is an integral part of our training(YAU KUN MUN that is). Form practise with rings for strengthing the arms,shoulders and certainly helps the stance . Conditioning is another reason for the rings. It is used every training session and some do use them at home .I find they benefit the overall speed also, especially after a form five times or so and then taking them off, can not keep up with your hands.
Anyway the rings are only one part of the conditioning tools we use. Do many schools use the rings regularly too, what else is used?

David
10-09-2000, 05:00 PM
Some southern mantis schools use iron rings, rulers, sandbags and iron bars to hit(!). Mine doesn't have any of that so I can't comment further.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

10-09-2000, 11:59 PM
thanks david,
what style are you southern mantis? i have a friend that trained in the uk under sifu tony leung called steel wire mantis at the temple school of kung fu.
ive seen tony leung in action his ging is very strong. his teacher is ip suo.(cant spell)
thanks for your post... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

David
10-10-2000, 12:10 PM
ft,
my mantis is Chow Gar under the Ip Shui lineage.

I know quite a few students of Tony Leung though I've never met him myself. All of them attest to his power. As far as I know he's not teaching in the UK anymore and his students have redistributed themselves amongst the Chow Gar schools.

(Steelwire Mantis is an amalgamation of Chow Gar and Hung Gar)

-- Hong Kong Phooey

10-10-2000, 12:59 PM
david is your sifu paul whitrod?
why is tony leung not teaching anymore? i know that his mixed hung gar tit sin into mantis he is quite strong.

i use to follow his write ups on the roots of kung fu, about 8 yrs ago. i know him and whitrod didnt get along if im correct. i think he was whitrods si hing?

thanks for post!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pablo
10-10-2000, 08:02 PM
In my school there are iron rings, but I haven't learned to use them yet. They look kind of small, about 2.5" of diameter. Is this a standard size?
Someone know about the big iron ring, about 16" of diameter?

Does someone knows a good store on the web with training equipment, specially concerning the strenghtening of the tiger claw?

David
10-11-2000, 05:08 PM
Pablo I dread to think what those 2.5" rings are for!

The 16" ring sounds like a version of the rattan ring - which I've only ever seen in a Jackie Chan film when he was learning snake style.

ft, Sifu Paul Whitrod isn't quite my sifu My teachers (who aren't sifu's) are training with him these days. He has exceptional skills and power.
I don't know of any issues between him and anybody else.

-- Hong Kong Phooey