PDA

View Full Version : Soy, not all it's cracked up to be...

Cyborg
01-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Here's a pretty good article on diet in general. Enjoy.

http://www.rense.com/health/soyitisntso.htm

fa_jing
01-07-2002, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the link, very interesting, somewhat scary.
-FJ

fmann
01-07-2002, 03:17 PM
Very interesting and very biased.

Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. In diet, exercise, etc.. Why go to the extremes?

I find it funny on the ethical justification for eating animals: You're eating sentient beings and that's wrong! Well if animals are sentient beings and some animals hunt and kill other animals, then there's a dilemma somewhere in there.

Overall, it's just too sprawling and too broad and too unfocused.

I'll have my beef and tofu, thank you. But not slabs of them at a time.

prana
01-07-2002, 04:17 PM
right on !

I think the secret is, if you are going to eat sentient beings then eat for your health sake, not for tastes sake.

Cyborg
01-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Yeah it was biased and I don't agree with everything. Least of all the "animals are people too!" nonsense. But I was looking for some stuff on Soy since it's been highly touted in here before.

"Everything in moderation including moderation". Does that mean we should run to extremes sometimes? :D

fmann
01-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Cyborg
"Everything in moderation including moderation". Does that mean we should run to extremes sometimes? :D

Yes. For example, you have to test your abilities and challenge yourself sometimes. But doing it all the time invariably ends up hurting someone or yourself.

anerlich
01-08-2002, 03:21 PM
The first thing I saw when I opened up the article was that the email addy for the writer was

astrology@earthlink.net

For some reason, this made me suspect that what was to follow would be fairly flexible with its application of hard science, and it looks like I was correct.

Anyone who regards the content of this article as scientific fact does so at their peril. The selection of studies quoted seems highly selective and weighted. That stuff about comparing the facial features of older vegetarians and meat-eaters is obvious rubbish.

Did you check out the home page? It's got lots of UFO, paranormal, fringe science stuff on it. Hardly gives me confidence as to the scientific veracity of anything therein.

FWIW, the author of the old "Spoonful X diet" page, and advocate of a paleolithic diet (mainly meat and raw vege's) - a nutritionist - called soy an "anti-nutrient". Unfortunately this page seems to have vanished from the web.

Ka
01-08-2002, 05:14 PM
hey wondering if you have ever looked into Spartan Health,if yes any commennts?Also noticed that you train CQC ,I have meet Glenn before and was impressed with his attitude but have never trained with them.Seems petty reasonably priced,how"s the training?Cheers:)

anerlich
01-08-2002, 07:13 PM
I've seen Spartan Health advertised incessantly, but have so far resisted the temptation. I think my Sifu was into it at one stage, I'll ask him what he thought.

While I'm no paragon of nutritional virtue (beer, chocolate, corn chips, etc....) the Paleolithic diet makes most sense out of the reading I've done. Just do a Google search on "Paleolithic Diet", there's some good sites out there.

As for the CQC training, to be honest this is a part of training at our school which runs a bit hot and cold. We're primarily a Wing Chun school, but we're also a Will/Machado BJJ affiliate, plus we practice boxing and kickboxing as well (my Sifu had over 30 pro fights), plus the CQC weapons training has been part of the curriculum for a couple years now.

What is taught is Hock Hockheim's systems of knife and stick combat, and my Sifu as I understand is licensed to instruct that system, but with so much other stuff going on it doesn't get focused on all that often, more's the pity. Hock's system has a grading structure and we work through it - so far only knife and uno baston dos manos (one stick two hands) so far. What I've trained in so far is excellent stuff, simple yet sophisticated and IMHO obviously better than traditional KF weapons practice for real self-defence. Shows you how scary and dangerous knife fighting can be.

My point is that if you just want to learn CQC with weapons, you'd be better off looking for a fulltime CQC or FMA school. we instead try to cover a few more bases and still consider traditional MA's and the attitudes they instill to be worthwhile, but you have to look at renovating them from within and without as society and crime change, and as new information becomes available. It's bloody hard to keep up with so many diverse skills and some haven't been able to handle it, but I'd much rather do it this way myself.

David
01-09-2002, 04:08 AM
The one thing I got out of it was about soaking and sprouting seeds/beans.

I'd previously understood that allowing the food to sprout (or to begin to sprout) "released a lot more vitamins & minerals for the digestive process".

The article said that sprouting removed the chemical which otherwise "restricted uptake of minerals".

I think I'll go with the idea of soaking stuff for 2 hours. Whichever idea is correct, sprouting is best.

Similarly, I eat a helluva lot of nuts (a kilo a week). It's been suggested to me that I soak nuts overnight before eating them. Drying them out again is apparently fine (who wants soggy nuts?).

The article has given me concerns about soya milk and bread which I will have to look into... I do make a lot of my own bread so letting it stand as dough for a couple of hours at 100C to fix it won't be such a hassle.

Ka
01-10-2002, 03:54 AM
I take it you train under Rick Spain,I didn't realize He taught CQC.He must certainly be the most progessive instructor in Aus.The dudes I was refering to was Glenn Zwiers who has CQC classes up here once a month at City Gym,cost about $45 for the Half Day.Check him out at www.cqctactic.com He represents Hock as SFC cheif instuctor,You just missed Hock who came out in Dec.I met him (Glen) informally but was convinced enough to make sure to go to the next one day course.Unfortunatly they don't have any full time instructor up here.At your school is the primary training WC or do you start with Boxing /Kickboxing?

anerlich
01-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Training emphasis and priority is in the following order (approx):

Tradtional Wing Chun

Kickboxing and boxing insertions into WC structure / Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (about the same priority)

CQC style knife and stick

I've heard of Glen Zwiers, but never met him. I certainly have no reason to doubt his abilities or credentials. As for the seminars they sound great, but it's a matter of priorities. I train at Sifu Spain's kwoon 3 or 4 days a week, and do a few extra BJJ seminars, if I went to every seminar I wanted to I'd have to quit my job and probably end up divorced.

Assuming GZ follows the Hockheim curriculum, which he almost certainly will, I'm sure the training would be most valuable.

Rick Spain will have an article in Australasian Blitz in the next few months detailing his progressive and eclectic approach to MA. I don't know exactly when, but I know for sure the article's been written and most of the photos done.

Mister Hansome
01-15-2002, 03:56 PM
Check this out, don't know if it's important but check it out:

http://www.mochasofa.com/health/program/articles/02january14a.asp