PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dit da jow...

Jeff Liboiron
01-05-2002, 11:58 AM
I have never used jow before and bought some yesterday. I thought it would be rub on stuff, but it was a liquid.

Is this the same thing as rub on jow? What's the best way to apply it, and how long should i apply it to my injury?

David Jamieson
01-05-2002, 12:45 PM
Hi jeff.

To apply Dit Da Jow.

Put a little in the palm of your hand and rub it over the affected area (no open cuts!)

after you have covered the bruised area, use your thumb and press in a circular motion from the center of the bruise to the outside with as much pressure as you are able to endure.

If you are using it after sam sing drills , mook jong drills, or Iron Palm training, then apply it and rub it in until dry.

peace

Jeff Liboiron
01-05-2002, 01:11 PM
does this apply to the liquid form of dit da jow as well? or just the cream type rub on stuff?

Majic Sam
01-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Hey Jeff,what happened?Hurt your hand beating Carlos at pool yesterday?Or did you strain your neck checking out the honey's at the mall?J/K!Talk to you soon...

David Jamieson
01-05-2002, 05:19 PM
dit da jow (iron hit wine) is generally a liniment with and alcohol base such as rice wine or white alcohol.

the term Tieh Tah (dit da) is also used for all external liniment, salves and balms. But when we're talking about iron hit wine it is a liquid and not a cream, salve or ointment or unguent.

the pastes and salves are not iron medicines but are usually for other maladies not related to bruising.

boneset medicines which can contain many of the same or similar ingredients that have similar efficacy are often times a paste or ointment.

what sort did you buy? there are only a few varieties one the market, most recipes are handed down from teacher to student, but they are common now.

some are effective ad some are not so effective.

Zheng Gui Zhi is very popular and has a lot of camphor in it. But it works even though it is for very deep bruises and bone bruises, many who do not possess another type of bruise liniment will use this brand.

My Si Fu makes his own particularly potent brand that has proven very effective for relief of hematoma.
I also use a Buddhist Masters recipe dit da jow that is also very effective and occaisionally Zheng Gui Zhi.

anyway, rub it in, press your thumb at the center of the bruise and work to the outside of the bruis in a counterclockwise motion to break down building scar tissue from the hematoma. The herbs in the medecine will alleviate blood stasis and the alcohol is a speedy vehicle for the herbs.

Don't put to much on especially before you are getting ready to sleep as this will increase your blood flow and will likely cause you to not experience a restful sleep.

peace

Jeff Liboiron
01-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Majic Sam
Hey Jeff,what happened?Hurt your hand beating Carlos at pool yesterday?Or did you strain your neck checking out the honey's at the mall?J/K!Talk to you soon...

Hey Steve :)

No my arm is still hurting, and i tried out the jow today. See ya man :)

Oh and there were tons of honeys, but i did a full body rotation to check them out so i wouldn't hurt my neck :)

Jeff Liboiron
01-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Thanks man, you're an encyclopedia :)

I don't know what type of jow i have, but it is not a heated jow, it's a cold one. Does this matter?

The reason i'm using it is because my elbow hurts, and i hope the jow will speed up it's recovery because it's been injured for 3 weks now. I hurt some tendons, and it amy be another 2 weeks until it's healed

Jeff Liboiron
01-05-2002, 06:48 PM
also how many times per day should i apply it?

David Jamieson
01-05-2002, 09:41 PM
hi jeff.

the amount of applications depends on two things primarily.

1. the severity of the injury

2.the strength of the jow.

heated will penetrate more rapidly, cold will take more rubbing.
keep in mind that heated must be applied and rubbed in quickly because the alcohol is evaporating more rapidly due to the heat, if you don't get it in quick the herbs won't penetrate deeply. It is the herbs that have the efficacy while the alcohol is the vehicle.

From my own experience, I will appply Dit Da Jow to an affected area 2 or 3 times daily.

If the bruise is severe, or if a ligament or tendon has been strained I will apply with more frequency to relieve the immediate pain and to keep the blood from stagnating due to cell build up which causes the formation of scar tissue.

If you have a good sense of your body, and the injury, you'll be able to tell according to the amount of pain and the size of the bruise.

If the bruise is coming out and you have a large purple "blossom", then this is the rising of the hematoma and it is healing.

If it is damage to the tendon, be more gentle as the cell structure is different than muscle tissue and will require more time. Ligaments and sinews a little more as the cell structure is denser and of course bone the longest amount of time because it is even more dense than these.

peace

CrushingFist
01-13-2002, 12:20 AM
i have been taught that one should rub for atleast 5 minutes on the spot, with their thumb, LIGHTLY. from what i was taught you do not press as hard as you can endure. you just put a little bit of pressure and rub until dry, and put more coatings on for atleast 5 minutes. another technique that is used is soaking. soaking fingers or hands in the jow if you have a lot.

also, rub in circular motions. and don't go too fast, say, if the bruise is the size of a quarter, then rub in a circle around it like 1 circle per second. I'm not saying EXACTLY, but just, take it slow, if it's fast it's no good.

I dunno, you can take my advice or kung lek's im not sure who is correct. but i just know that the guy i learned from is an herbal doctor back in HK in the 60s and 70s, so i think his technique works pretty well, and it works when i use it on myself.

maybe both kung lek and i are correct? maybe it dun matter, who knows.

David Jamieson
01-13-2002, 09:48 AM
one aspirin, or two?

Crushing fist, there is nothing incorrect about your advice.

The training I received, and advice about Dit Da application methods was relating to strength of the jow and severity of the injury.

Yes, light pressing if the injury is severe and painful, light pressing would be all that the average person would be able to handle.

If the injury is very deep, say , throught the tissue and effecting the surface of the bone, then the press must be deeper to penetrate the entirety of the injury.

If it is a surface bruise, then deep massage is not necessary.
As most bruises are not all that deep, then light pressing will do the trick.

But if it's a bone bruise, then the process takes a little more effort and hence the advice to press as hard as one can endure to ensure the deepest penetration of the substance.

deep pressing also helps to break up blood stasis.
light pressing is when you are relying more on the herbs to break up the blood stasis.

If the liniment is potent it may work in this way, if it is a lighter liniment, it won't do much good if it is not acting at the root of the injury.

Jeff, is unsure of the type and quality of his jow. So I gave the better safe than sorry advice :)

I also do not know Jeff's pain threshold. But common sense dictates that one would not inflict injury further upon themselves when they are seeking a remedy.

peace

NPMantis
02-21-2002, 07:41 AM
Hi Kung Lek,

I was wondering if you knew whether there are any negative / bad long-term effects obtained with Zheng Gu Shui - I am new to TCM.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Take care,

Mantis

dzu
02-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Here are a couple of
links:

http://www.chusaulei.com/health/006_jow.html

http://www.chusaulei.com/health/004_trauma.html

http://www.chusaulei.com/health/005_chest.html

Dzu