PDA

View Full Version : how to do deadlifts, lunges

lowsweep
01-05-2002, 03:54 PM
I have a pretty good workout for upper body but I am thinking of adding deadlifts, lunges, and squats to hit some of the muscle groups I am missing with my current workout. Could anyone describe how to do deadlifts or lunges or know any sites that do (I know how to do squats) I will have someone at the gym show next time I go but until then I could really use some advice on how to do these.
thanks,
adam

ElPietro
01-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Deadlifts are awesome. If you want to add more focus to your hamstrings I would recommend stiff-legged deadlifts. Either are a great choice. Add them either to your leg or back day.

Deadlift:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

Straight-legged Deadlift:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

Lunges:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBLunge.html

Enjoy! :)

harry_the_monk
01-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Lunges I find help a lot with balance, and also help build some good definition as well, also i find that as it hits one leg at a time it is a good builder for those kicking muscles...(yes, it does help them before i get any comments about specificity training.):)

make sure you have a strong back if you intend doing stiff-legged dead-lifts as you could damage your erector spinae muscles.normal deadlifts i will agree are cool.
Peace.

lowsweep
01-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys!
I'll be adding the deadlifts to my workout on my next leg day. I'll try out the lunges and maybe add those too.
thanks,
adam

lowsweep
01-06-2002, 03:58 PM
a couple questions I forgot to ask...
My workout is a simpler version of the one destrous9 posted here (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6228&highlight=my+advice+from+an+expowerlifter) . Could I do the same sets and reps I use for bench, curls, etc. for deadlift? (A set of 10-12, two sets of 7-9, and a set of 4-6 with the heaviest weight I can do the sets with) Also, could I do deadlift with dumbells or am I just better off with sticking to the bar? I was thinking it might do more stabiliser muscles with the dumbells, but it might not, I havent tried.
thanks,
adam

harry_the_monk
01-06-2002, 06:00 PM
yes, it is possible to do that, it is known as pyramiding, some people also train it the other way, which is called drop-sets. As long as you change the way you train every couple of months you will constantly confuse the body and help stop it plateauing:)

personally i like to mix'n'match between different lifting systems but allways take it to overload, not sure about the dumbell thing, can't see it not working though, but give it a try. obviously keeping your back upright and straight at all times and making sure its your legs doing the lift

peace.:)

ElPietro
01-07-2002, 07:32 AM
Doing sets like that are fine. Using dumbells are fine although you will have difficulty finding heavy enough dumbells. You will find out that you can do quite a bit of weight on deadlifts. Don't switch up your routine every couple months, only when you have had absolutely no gains in strength over a few weeks time. The gains you see from switching have very little to do with muscle strength. I have posted enough on this subject that I won't keep explaining it. Do a search.

If you are doing dumbells for stabilizers I wouldn't worry...deadlifts hit so many muscles in your body including many stabilizers regardless of the barbell or dumbell...

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-08-2002, 09:34 AM
i have had deadlifts confused with clean and jerks for a while now . .. thought they were one and the same.

you guys got any advice for clean and jerks?

harry_the_monk
01-10-2002, 05:14 AM
also trains upper body, as well as different stabalisers as the clean movement and jerk(press) movement normally follow the deadlift.[bar to shoulder area, then lift above head...hard to describe really:) if you go to a gym i'm sure someone can show you the safe way to perform it.]
this movement is sometimes done by people who are getting the bar up for squats without a rack(although i wouldn't recomend doing it without a spotter!!)
the deadlift is primarily lifting the weight up off the floor.

sorry about the advice on periods to change, i meant that its what i like to do personally.el pietro is right as ever :) you only really need to change what youre doing when you feel you are on a plateau.

peace

IronFist
01-10-2002, 10:58 PM
I think my computer is retarded. none of the links elpietro posted work. wtf?

anyone else have this problem?

Iron

ElPietro
01-13-2002, 05:11 PM
They worked when I tested them but now they aren't. The site is www.exrx.net . I've been having DNS problems so having trouble getting it loaded...if you still can't get to it repost and I'll try and find out what's going on...

...stupid internet...