PDA

View Full Version : Internal aspects what do Wing Chun and Hsing -i have in common

dre_doggX
01-05-2002, 10:43 PM
both use simply movements and have forms that are done slowly.

In wing chun I am refering to sil lum tao.

now I dont know much about Xing-yiexpect that it and yi quan(a martial art that came from it) makes use a yi(intent) and imagery to build and control qi.

some wing chun kungfu schools from what I hear lack internal aspects and/ or do not have great depth so you think studing some of yi quans and Xing yi quans stuff can help amplify wing chuns internal side.

Sam
01-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Fut Sao Wing Chun utilizes full body tork from rooted horse to issue power (jing). Hei/Nei kung breathe control and loose hand movments. Sensitivity and chi transferance throughout the body.www.buddhapalm.com

anerlich
01-06-2002, 02:42 PM
It depends on your definition of "Internal".

I did about five years of Xingyi. My then-instructor's definition was that an "internal" art is necessarily based on the principles of TCM, specifically in Xingyi's case, the five element theory. Each of the five basic strikes correcponds to one of the elements, and attack and defense make use of the nourishing/checking cycles of the elements. Each movement stimulates a set of spinaL nerves which in turn work on the organs associated with the element concerned.

In my experience, Xingyi is not done slowly or softly. It may be internal (definition), but it can be as hard as a fist of diamond. The stamp of the back foot is used to deliver power and also to addd extra stimulus to the spinal nerves with each strike.

So, by this definition, there is nothing at all internal about Wing Chun. By other definitions, maybe.

If you want to develop "internal" attributes, take up one of those arts or Chi Kung. If you want to improve your WC, practice Wing Chun.