PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to learn SLT?

IronFist
01-06-2002, 05:07 PM
Alright, I don't want any "it takes a lifetime to master" answers. :D How long did it take you to learn the SLT form to the point where you could beneficially practice it on your own (meaning, without your sifu having to make corrections).

I think this is the second shortest form I've ever seen (in terms of moves, not time to complete). The shortest would be the first Isshinryu form I learned, empei <sp> kata, when I was 8.

Thanks for the input,

Iron

Jeff Liboiron
01-06-2002, 05:10 PM
i learned it in about 2 or 3 days.

Martial Joe
01-06-2002, 05:53 PM
Me too...

kungfu cowboy
01-06-2002, 06:06 PM
About a month and a half or so.

rogue
01-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Enpi in Isshinryu? :confused: Did you mean Wansu?

CanadianBadAss
01-06-2002, 06:45 PM
I learnt the movments of the form in a day or 2. But it'll probaly be along time befor i don't need my sifu to make "corrections" any more.

Mokujin
01-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Over a month!

Of course, when you see your instructor maybe two times a week, that doesn't help, either.

Gotta admit- it's my favorite form.

Peace!
:D
Mokujin

whippinghand
01-06-2002, 08:29 PM
still haven't arrived at the point

jesper
01-06-2002, 11:37 PM
I learned the movement in a couple of days.
But learning the mechanical part is only a smal part of learning SLT.
So in essense, im still learning to do it properly.

Martial Joe
01-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Whipping Hand just reminded me that I have only learned the moves...I will forever be learning slt...

IronFist
01-07-2002, 01:36 AM
yup, enpi in isshinryu. I don't think we had a Wansu. If you want I'll go check in my box of old karate stuff (if i can find it) for the list of forms we had. I only learned the first 4. Let me see if I can remember the names...

Empi (or Enpi)
Seisan
Seiuchin
Nihanchi

Yeah! Those are the 4 I learned. Ahhh, back in the day...

Iron

Ish
01-07-2002, 02:42 AM
It took me about 7 months to learn all the movements of the first form. This seems a lot longer than all the previous replies but i had to be able to do it correctly before learning more. did anyone else learn like this or did you learn the whole form then improve the whole thing when you practice.

dezhen2001
01-07-2002, 02:45 AM
i've been training wing chun for around 18 months now. I know all the gross 'movements' of SLT but i am still trying to refine everything, use the correct energy, develop my stamina (in doing SLT) etc. I don't think i'll ever get it right!:eek: Each time i go and see my Sifu (which is about once a month right now :( ), i get corrected, so have more to work on.

I just wish i had someone i could train chi sau with! Being away at Uni sucks!

david

black and blue
01-07-2002, 03:15 AM
Where I train you're taught the form in three sections, and progress from one to the other (errr... naturally).

I recently had the chance to perform the second and third section of SLT while alone with my instructor. I thought I had the movements covered (reasonable form/structure, correct use of energy)...

I was so wrong it hurts :) Many, many minor points I was pulled up on. I've been training for less than a year, so I can't grumble, but theres a long way to go.

Learning the sequence of movements is a quick process, but it seems performing them at a respecatable level takes... just a little longer :)

I don't even want to think about CK until 2003! If I have problems standing still, how the hell am I gonna move!!!:D

yuanfen
01-07-2002, 03:37 AM
I learn something everytime I do the slt. Mastery- I dont know what that is. A wingchunform is something different from a karate form. We have only(most of us) 3 inter-related very deep forms.
Learning the sequence of the slt and learning slt are quite different things.

Ish
01-07-2002, 05:59 AM
dezhen2001
Which uni do you go to?

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
01-07-2002, 07:15 AM
Iron Fist:
I was probably a month or more into my training before I had learned all the gross movements. However, I still want and recieve corrections on my form from my sifu, and probably will for many years still.

red5angel
01-07-2002, 10:00 AM
I think it took me a few days to learn the motions of SLT, but I find that everyday I have to adjust something, my sifu has to adjust something, I find that I am doing something wrong, too tight, to fast, too slow, elbow not in enough, elbow too in, stance not deep enough, yadda yadda.
I have a feeling it will be that way for the rest of myself! :)
But if I understand your question, you are looking to find out when it is 'safe' to practice it on your own? I say when you feel comfortable with it, if you go to class regularly any mistakes you may make should be corrected by your sifu or sihing as you go along.
I personally dont like to look at it as mastering the form, I think getting the motions down just takes alot of practice, getting the form right, a lot more, in a year or so, most people seem to be doing it right, its just understanding it that may take a lifetime!
Am I way off here?

BeiKongHui
01-07-2002, 12:47 PM
My first flavor of WC (non YM) it took 1.5 years.

My 2nd flavor of WC (YM) the average time seems to be about a month.

old jong
01-07-2002, 12:57 PM
Learning SLT is not difficult but it takes lots of times and practice before someone begins to learn FROM it (It depends greatly on the individual).And,I think once it is started it never ends!;)

red5angel
01-07-2002, 01:34 PM
nice way to put that Old Jong, that is what I was trying to get at!!!

rogue
01-07-2002, 01:53 PM
Sounds about right IronFist except for using Empi which is the Japanese version of the Okinawan kata Wansu. Did they start you with Empi?

dezhen2001
01-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Hi Ish,

i go to University in Wolverhampton, but am originally from SW Scotland! My Sifu is in Manchester though which is totally confusing huh!

There are some WC schools around, and also in Birmingham, but because i'm very much a beginner, i really need my own (Sifu's) class. I don't understand the principles enough yet (don't listen enough), so i'll probably pick up bad habits otherwise......i'm always up for 'playing' chi sau though. Where r u?

back to the topic:

I think that learning SLT depends a lot on the Sifu also. For some it is very important, but for others they are more interested in 'fighting'. I guess it depends on what you want.

david

[Censored]
01-07-2002, 02:51 PM
How long did it take you to learn the SLT form to the point where you could beneficially practice it on your own (meaning, without your sifu having to make corrections).

The laws of physics are always there to correct you, even if your teacher is not.

Also, performing SLT with big mistakes is a necessary precursor to performing it without big mistakes, therefore any practice at any time can be beneficial. IMO, the important thing is to keep the right mind during practice.

IronFist
01-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Rogue,

Yup, they started me with empi. The one where it's almost all elbow strikes into your other hand. So that's the same as Wansu, eh? That's strange.

Those kata that I listed were the order in which I learned them.

Iron

S.Teebas
01-07-2002, 08:29 PM
For some it (SLT) is very important, but for others they are more interested in 'fighting'. I guess it depends on what you want.

SLT is step 1 of 3 to learn how to fight WC method.

S.Teebas
01-07-2002, 09:04 PM
For some it (SLT) is very important, but for others they are more interested in 'fighting'. I guess it depends on what you want.

SLT is step 1 of 3 to learn how to fight WC method.

Ish
01-08-2002, 05:16 AM
Hi dezhen2001, I live in Newcastle not too far away. Who is your sifu in manchester, have you trained with sam kwok, i went to a seminar in manchester where he was translating for ip chun. I,ve met him a couple of times he's really good. If you can ever be arsed to come up here i'd love to do some training with ya.

dezhen2001
01-08-2002, 10:14 AM
S.Teebas:"SLT is step 1 of 3 to learn how to fight WC method"

Of course it is. But what i was meaning was that different schools put different emphasis on forms training, chi sau and sparring. Why do some schools so SLT for only 5 minutes, while others can spend 1/2 an hour or an hour doing SLT? (cast your mind back to the SLT Contest thread we had b4 :D)

I know i would much rather dvelop my posture and structure to be very good, and then develop my sensitivity in chi sau, then move in to applications when i have a good foundation. Otherwise what's the point?

Ish: Hi, i already have a good Sifu (i am with the Tse Qigong Centre), but what i mean is that I just don't get to see him very often. Once a month if i am lucky. Also there is no one who does good WC at my Uni, so i have no hands to play with :D I don't want to pick up any bad habits as i'm only a beginner......I too have been to some seminars with my Tai Sigong Ip Chun. Very amazing to see such a high level of skill :)

I'll let u know if i'm ever up that way, cheers :)

david

rogue
01-08-2002, 09:04 PM
IronFist, that's a weird progression. Traditionally Isshinryu starts with the 13 upper body excercises and the 15 lower. The first two kata you learn is Seisan, then Seiuchin. What lineage?

How would you compare the two styles?

Sihing73
01-09-2002, 03:53 AM
Hello,

While it is interesting to discuss other arts to a point I have to point out this is a Wing Chun board. If you wish to discuss other forms of MA then I would ask that you take that "specific" topic off-list either via private e-mail or to another more generic board. I have enjoyed the topic and some of the posts. However, as I pointed out this is first and foremost a Wing Chun board and is geared towards discussing that art.

Peace,

Dave