PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Ball Routines

Johnny Hot Shot
01-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Does any one here Use a Medicine ball in their training? If so

What types of drills do you do?

If you know of any good books or websites please post them.

Thanks in advance

:D

Ish
01-07-2002, 05:17 AM
I dont use one but thats probably cos i dont have one. You can use it to condition yourself by dropping it on your stomach from different heights or hod it when doing situps. Im sure you can use it hundreds of different ways thats just a couple i heard of.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-07-2002, 02:02 PM
thanks for that tip...:rolleyes:

Ka
01-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Hey When I was boxing we used it in situps as an extra bit of weight and twist with it to each side at the top of the situp.We also used to stand back to back and pass the ball to left ,then right creating a circle this was more a warm up for the waist. :)

MightyB
01-08-2002, 02:34 PM
One of the other guys clued me in on this site but check this out:

http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=IJBV%202&variation=&aitem=20&mitem=50

anerlich
01-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Stand 5 to 10 feet from a partner and pass the ball back and forth, trying to catch and return as quickly as possible. Depending on what your training aims are, you can use a push off the chest and catch, or throw it from overhead and catch, or a rugby style pass, catch and twist at the waist, then pass back, or any other way you think might help. Can do it with >2 people in a circle and pass randomly to help perception speed - for real fun try it with two balls at once.

Lie on your back and push/throw and catch the ball vertically, catching and releasing again ASAP. Consider wearing a helmet .:p

Lock ankles with a partner, both sitting on the floor. One of you has the ball. You both lay back and sit up, taking the arms (with or without the ball) back to touch the floor. Both sit up and pass the ball to the other person. Down and situp, pass, down and situp,pass. Do in 2 or 3 minute rounds.

Lie supine. You partner straddles you holding the ball, and pounds you midsection with it for a predetermined count or interval. The person on the ground determines how hard and fast. Turn on your left side and then the right. Swap partner positions. You can drop the ball on your own midsection, but it gets faster and more intense with a partner. More a tempering drill than an ab workout.

Leg raises gripping a not-too-heavy ball with your feet.

Push up position with both hands on the ball. Pushup, put one hand on the floor, pushup, both hands on the ball, pushup, other hand on the floor, pushup ...

The behind the back pass drill mentioned by Ka is good.

IronFist
01-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Cut one open and take out all the insides. Refill it with steel shot. This should make it weigh 40-50lbs. Now, stand straight up and hold the ball at arms length above your head and drop it on your head. With any luck, you will knock yourself out and won't have to worry about training anymore :)

Dude, I'm totally kidding. :D
Do what anerlich said. Those are some good workouts.

Iron