PDA

View Full Version : Who all does grappling styles?

Jacki
01-07-2002, 07:42 AM
Hi Everybody!

I am just curious to see how many of you do grappling and would like to know more about the kind of grappling you do.
I pretty much went from TKD to BJJ so I don't know much about the other styles.

JKSmith

DelicateSound
01-07-2002, 07:44 AM
I used to be really into my Judo. Very efficient style, bit too sport-orientated for my liking though. I could never find a Combat Judo or Traditional Judo club anywhere..... shame really. :(

LEGEND
01-07-2002, 07:46 AM
I'm a 4 year white belt in BJJ( LOL )...I do loveeeeeeeeeee the heel hooks and different ankle locks in SHOOTO though! I'm starting to learn how to wrestle and it's hard hard technical work.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-07-2002, 09:28 AM
I have been practising BJJ for about 6 months now. It's alot of fun but alittle more sport oriented too I think

Jaguar Wong
01-07-2002, 11:51 AM
I'm not really a grappler, but I've had some experience in wrestling and BJJ (The BJJ was taught by a friend who's also a wrestler, so it was a pretty good mix of the two). One style I would love to learn is Shuai Chiao (if anyone knows of a good school in Vegas, I'm more than willing to go check it out). I also do a lot of work with Chin Na, but that's very hard to get to work. I know you're supposed to blend it with the strikes, but I have to get good at Chin Na first.

Judo is also very cool, because the Judoka that I've played with have some of the best balance (base), plus they had great takedowns (they were nice enough not to throw me onto the concrete) when I moved in for a clinch.

Of all my experience, though, I am still very interested in BJJ and wrestling. There is a high school wrestling coach that is studying Kung Fu at the school I used to teach in, and he's easily one of the most impressive grapplers I've seen. He's an older gentleman that doesn't look like a strong guy, but he's got some of the best leverage moves that I've seen. He's got no knowledge of submissions, but what little he has shown my brother and I, we were able to avoid many stupid mistakes on the mat when rolling with BJJ guys. I'm actually placing more emphasis on learning how to shoot and sprawl properly to control the ranges, as well as some basic positioning and escapes, but other than that, the submissions are more like "treats" when I'm learning them. I'm doing my best to give my strength (stand up strikes...kicking mainly) and edge by learning about the ground in order to avoid it when facing much better grapplers, and taking the fight there when facing much better strikers.

I prefer standing, though. I am bipedal after all ;)

Once again, though...I am still looking for a good Shuai Chiao school here in Vegas.

Badger
01-07-2002, 12:09 PM
I train BJJ. But I also combine it with Muay Thai,Boxing & Wrestling for Vale Tudo type training.

Badger

MonkeySlap Too
01-07-2002, 12:11 PM
As far as grappling is concerned, I started out in Judo and have played Shuai Chiao for some time.

Lately, a Sambo player joined my workout group - so I am learning as much as I can while he's here. Very similar to Shuai Chiao, just a different training doctrine, and as a result some really interesting groundwork. Ahhh - to be a beginner again. I love that feeling.

nightair
01-07-2002, 01:53 PM
I'm going to start studying Small Circle Jujitsu next week.:)