PDA

View Full Version : Blatant Liars (warning-I'm pi$$ed)

Water Dragon
01-07-2002, 06:04 PM
WTF is the deal with people trying to grab on to a name to gain legitamacy? There's one individual I know of who has probably 20 to 30 people claiming to be his student. Bull$hit, the man has one student only. Just because you attend a few seminars doesn't make you a student. Even if you get invited to what happens after the seminar, that doesn't make you a student, just lucky.

Why do people have this need to make false claims. It's not like they don't know. If you're at a point where you can even begin to think about teaching, you know dang well where you stand in the lineage, believe me.

For the record, the "student" is not me. At most, I could be a student of the student of the student of the teacher, and that's giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Shaolindynasty
01-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Fill us in on the story!

Water Dragon
01-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Not really a story, and I'm not at liberty to name names. Just sometimes, I'll browse the web and run into someone who says I'm a student of *****. No you're not. Or, I studied with ***** for X years. No you didn't.

At most, they hit a few seminars. That's a far cry from real teaching. Like it or not, it's still an exclusive club as far as CMA is concerned. They will let you in, but you're **** well for sure going to pay your dues first. Depending on the teacher, that can range anywhere from difficult to **** near impossible.

joedoe
01-07-2002, 06:21 PM
Why get worked up about it? If you can't do anything about it, then there is no point in getting upset.

Water Dragon
01-07-2002, 06:22 PM
True. Sometimes I just need to vent.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-07-2002, 06:29 PM
"Sometimes I just need to vent."

word.

Daniel Madar
01-07-2002, 06:29 PM
There's a pretty well know wu stylist who claims to have been a disciple of Mah Liu Liang, and runs around giving seminars. Gets lots of write ups, etc. Aggravating, but eventually I came around to the "who gives a ****" POV. Even without coming down to combat, his students and what they buy into are not my problem. Odds are I'll never teach anyone but my kids anyways, so I'm not in any competition for business. Let ignorance lie, I say.

prana
01-07-2002, 06:40 PM
one of the 5 poisons : pride

Black Jack
01-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Water Dragon,

I soooo know what you mean, you can see a lot of that going around in the Kali circles, somebody attends a semniar for two days, gets a few pics of the teacher and them together, and starts incorporating what they call "kali"' into their national karate chain or McDojo.

It happens whenever you get a system that either is closed door, borders on being closed door or because of the fame of its teacher, rarity of instructors, unquie history and lineage, or word of mouth as a rough and tumble fighting art, it somehow attracts those that believe if they add that art "name" to their brochures they will be able to get a little more green.

You can see it with some of the fringe systems.