PDA

View Full Version : Streching methods.

Cipher
01-07-2002, 11:14 PM
What do you guy/gals do to help make you more flexable? I am always looking for good way to increase my speed most importantly in striking with the hands. Here is a method I have found really usefull for doing the splits.

Lay on the floor with your butt next to the wall and your feet straight up, so your legs are flat on the wall and your back is flat on the floor and then open your legs up like a big V and let them slide down the wall as far as you can go, make sure you have a good book and relax as much as you can then when the pain goes away ease you legs down a little more annd continue every day and go a little further each time. I did this the other day for about 40 mins, it killed me getting out of that possition after being like that for so long but I can already feel the added flexability in my legs. I am far from doing the splits, but getting there. Anyone have other good methods for streching any body part?

Does anyone do certain streches to increase striking speed?

Ka
01-08-2002, 02:03 AM
I know this may seem petty obvious but I do lots of (Ballet stlye)leg swings.I have heard arguements for and against,but it does seem to work for me,and no bad effects yet. :)

ElPietro
01-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Don't limit yourself to static stretching. I personally think 40 minutes is a bit overboard and you prolly aren't gaining much benefit after the first couple minutes. Dynamix stretching is good...lean against something and lift your leg out to the side a buncha times, then front, then back. If you want to strike quicker practice striking quicker. The more you kick and focus on kicking just a bit higher each time out will help you become flexible quicker.

Robinf
01-08-2002, 09:49 AM
40 minutes to me seems to be a bit much to stay in one position.

Try this one for splits. Get into a front split, as much as you can, then go down on your elbows. If you can, put your head down on its side and spread your arms out to the side (I call this one "splat" in the kids class--you look like roadkill).

Robin

Cyborg
01-08-2002, 10:48 AM
For me, stretching beyond 60 sec. is pretty much worthless. I try to stretch the same part 60 sec. a couple of times during the day. And the key to speed is to relax everything that's not helping the push. Just "flick" it out there and tighten right before you hit.

Cipher
01-08-2002, 11:57 AM
I have found though that holding a certain possition and relaxing and slowly working your way down more if helpful. 40 mins is way too long though, probably just a few minutes at a time is good enough. It did help strech me out though. I have mostly in the past done the kind were you sit down and just spread your legs as much as you can and then try to touch your toes for 5-10sec and then switch. I will try to do the thing were you get down on your elbows.

I have heard before people talking about one of Bruce's methods for gaining speed is to work certain mucsles, like slow twitch and fast twitch or something like that. Does anyone have any info on this or know how you work the fast twitch muscles to gain speed and power. I am not to sure about this so I may be totaly off.