PDA

View Full Version : Mantis and the UFC

Syre
01-08-2002, 06:54 AM
Earth Dragon previously mentioned that an 8-step Mantis stylist won UFC 6 and 7 (I can't find the messages where this was mentioned because the forum search engine has been set up incorrectly and won't index 3 letter words... like "UFC" "won" "VII", etc.).

Anyway, I was looking to get videos of this and it is true that Joel Sutton won two fights, but he didn't win the competition in general. UFC 6 was won by Taktarov (see: http://members.aol.com/WSandT/cards/usa/nhb/ufctny.html#vi) and UFC 7 by Ruas.

Also, after UFC 7, Sutton lost his next three fights (at Pancrase - Alive 5, IFC 6 - Battle at Four Bears, and WVC 6 - World Vale Tudo Championship 6) and then apparently stopped fighting. See: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=107

So what does this mean if anything for 8-step Mantis?

Also, does anyone have the videos of UFC 6 and 7 and can they tell me whether Sutton's fights appear on them?

Stacey
01-08-2002, 11:37 AM
To my knowlege, he was fighting under Master Sun, then he thought he was king of the world and could do it on his own..... and I guess he couldn't. His ego got in the way and he got fat. He was away from Master Sun and not living the disciplined life of a fighter. The end.

What other traditional kung fu styles have appeared and not gotten demolished in NHB? there was another Sifu Student a while back that won a NHB competition. Is that a coincidence? Two fighters from a small and relatively unknown style? hmmmm.

Now I have a lot of respect for other kung fu styles, but...where are they? If their fighitng traditions have indeed been kept in tact, then why don't we hear about them?

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-08-2002, 12:00 PM
I don't think Kung Fu is really suited for NHB rules (oxymoron?). I do think that someone well versed in Chin Na should have the muscleheads tapping out an interesting tune. :D

MightyB
01-08-2002, 01:31 PM
It may be that kung fu takes too long to master for the type of people that enter NHB competitions. I like to think that I'm an aggressive type, but the people that fight NHB are complete and total psychos. Even if the guys that fight in Pride and the UFC didn't train in anything, they'd still be dangerous.