PDA

View Full Version : Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon & Fong Sai Yuk TV shows

GeneChing
01-08-2002, 10:54 AM
Who else watches these? Who else gets these? It's Chinese TV. I like FSY, but CTHD is a little too long winded for me. I was getting into Baojintian since the Little Dragon from Shaolin (Xiaolong) starred in it and I interviewed him a few years back.

Leonidas
01-08-2002, 08:04 PM
I would love to see a Fong Sai Yuk show. I absolutely hate CTHD though, its not worth the plastic its filmed on. Are these shows only in China Gene?

GeneChing
01-09-2002, 10:39 AM
They play on our Chinese TV station every night. I agree that CTHD isn't very good - it takes place in a time different than the movie and it's hard for me to follow. I like FSY better since it has more fighting...

Leonidas
01-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Maybe i'll see it when i get satellite. Even though i'm not a fan of Kung Fu movies with wire-work i agree that FSY is better. Is his mother still in it?

Shaolindynasty
01-09-2002, 09:48 PM
Huh, I liked the CTHD movie.....guess I was the only one on these boards. Fong Sai Yuk was good the first time I saw it but each time I see it it get's less spectacular. What time does the CTHD show take place? How can it even be CTHD if it takes place in another time? Most of the characters died, it must be a prequal. I haven't seen these shows and it would be a shame to waste them on me since I don't speak chinese.

GeneChing
01-10-2002, 10:35 AM
The TV shows have very little to do with the movies excpet that they are based on the same folktales, or in the case of CTHD, pulp fiction. It's a different cast, different story lines, different direction - it's all different. Most of them are filmed on videotape instead of film, which gives them an unprofessional look if you'er used to western TV series. As for the martial arts, well, the kungfu tv series as a whole are pretty good - puts Sammo and Buffy to shame. It's not movie grade, and it does use wires, but it's still pretty fun.

Shaolindynasty
01-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Hey, I am used to western film BUT the more cheasy and cheap a movie/show is the more I like it. I don't have satalite though. I'd like to see a "kungfu cult master" type show.....now that would be cool.

GeneChing
01-11-2002, 10:59 AM
There's a lot of kungfu tv series. A lot. I could never really keep up with them, but it's always a delight to catch a fight scene whilst channel surfing.

Actually I prefer the chanbara tv series like Abarembo Shogun. And I used to really get into the progenitors of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - anybody here remember Kikaida? Rainbow 7? The Ultra family? Those shows rocked! Kikaida was my fav!

Leonidas
01-11-2002, 06:09 PM
What.............You kinda lost me there Gene. You use to like Power Rangers?

GeneChing
01-16-2002, 12:22 PM
...they were awesome. I can't really comment on power rangers that much - never really tuned into them. But Kikaida - that was an awesome show. Kikaida could've whupped all the power rangers singlehanded.

Crimson Phoenix
01-18-2002, 05:36 AM
I have seen the FSY show in Kuala Lumpur...I'd have watched it every evening if there hadn't been my GF's fav' show on another channel...hahahaha thank God she worked late often LOL
Anyway, I like it, it was quite funny eventhough I couldn't understand much...
As for CTHD, it must be new, I didn't hear about it (and I'm quite surprised, since the movie didn't really get lot of success in Asia).
As for the CHTD movie, I absolutely loved it, not wu xia pian enough, but very good starter for western viewers...