PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar's War Palm

GeneChing
01-08-2002, 10:56 AM
War Palm is a form propounded by Lam Chun Fai (son of Lam Jo) - I'm told it's a variation on arrow hand. Anyone know any more about it? He did some seminars in the states last year. Just curious...:)

jon
01-08-2002, 08:00 PM
hmm ive heard a little of it though im not dead sure how accurate the information is...
Im pretty sure the form was invented by Lam Sai Wing as an interem before Gung Gi Fook Fu its designed to build a strong stance and unite the body behind blows. The arrow hand has a similar purpose but its shorter and is all performed in a horse stance.
Its not a very common set to my knowledge and has been dropped by many schools even of Lam's linage including ours.
Still my sifu learnt it and ive heard him talk about it before. All the techniques are found in other forms as well which is another common reason for dropping it.
This is just my experience others could be different.
My Hung comes though Lam Sai Wing, Lum Cho, YC Wong

David Jamieson
01-09-2002, 04:45 AM
I think it is yet anoter shining example of the flexibility and dynamic nature of the development of a kung fu system.

However, I am not a student of Lam Chun Fai, Lam Jo , et al.
So, I don't know anything about the form.

peace

GeneChing
01-09-2002, 05:17 AM
Did you learn from YC directly? It's like your lineage crossed the pacific twice. :)

jon
01-09-2002, 08:37 AM
"Did you learn from YC directly? It's like your lineage crossed the pacific twice."

If only i was so lucky... I listed them becouse there the most obviously famous.
My linage from there
Grandmaster Wong taught my sigung in Hong Kong whilst Grandmaster Wong had his studio still located there. My Sigung's name is Collin Chao he learned Hung Ga in his family from his father but went to YC for the orthodox version and proper teaching rights. He then moved to Australia and passed the system onto my sifu who is named Joseph Awad.
Yes that was a bit of plug but ill always happily name my sifu's:)
Can you guess im proud of my history:D

Colin
01-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Jon, "Yes that was a bit of plug but ill always happily name my sifu's. Can you guess im proud of my history"

Good for you Jon!

regards
Colin...............

illusionfist
01-10-2002, 12:39 AM
From what i know, Jin Sau Kuen was derived from the war palm. The whole beginning of War Palm is basically Jin Sau Kuen.

Peace :D

once ronin
01-11-2002, 01:40 PM
this is a 1st class chinese problem. unless you talk to lam sai wing and ask him what his intent was when he created this form you would not know what he was trying to do. the problem was he had a limit amount of reading and writing.

as on this thread it is mentioned this form has a arrow hand and the war palm. so which is it? the jin in this form means to change or turn. if one knows this form, jin jeurng will teach you 3 levels of palming.