PDA

View Full Version : Singke hand chi sau

Girl Power
01-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Do any of you practice single hand chi sau. Or is this an obsolete exercise?

GP

yuanfen
01-08-2002, 05:45 PM
Do any of you practice single hand chi sau. Or is this an obsolete exercise?

GP
--------------------------------------
Without lots of single hand one doesnt quite have the foundations for good wong chun timing. Its not obsolete-no student of
mine skips single hand work. Same in my lineage. But lots of dilution of wc is taking place with the rationalization of progress(read-ignorance)-
so practice may vary.

anerlich
01-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Yes, My school practices this.

No, it ain't obsolete. Why would it be?

Some people see it as a leadup to double arm and its variations and do less of it after this but this is a mistake. Both exercises are valuable.

One arm chi sao works each arm in isolation. By dropping it and doing only two arm, you run the risk of developing a strong and weak side as it allows you to favour certain assymetric responses which one arm does not.

We practice the usual one with opposite arms (one parner left arm, the other right arm), and then another version from front stance using the same arm (both left arm or both right arm), but the sequences used are different.

rubthebuddha
01-09-2002, 12:29 AM
aye. it's still important. plus, a lot of students can't handle being thrown directly into two hand work, and chunking it down into individual hands to teach the reflexes is usually best.

vt108
01-09-2002, 12:54 AM
Dan chi sau is very important part of the training. It is the first time when students touch their hands. This is a very good preparation for poon sau. Basicly in Dan Chi we practice movements known from SLT but with a partner. It teaches you a lot of things like: short range elbow power, basic reaction for the opponents movement, keeping shoulders in one line, waist stability and power and of course good technique in bong sau, fook sau, jum sau and punch. Very important is also making tan sau from bong sau position. If you practice correctly you have much less problem in poon sau.

I hope this helps

Nat from UK
01-09-2002, 01:41 AM
Same as above, we start off with Dan Chi Sau but never stop training it.

I find it great for relaxation after a hard sparring session to get the heart rate back down.

Nat from UK

Sleepflower
01-09-2002, 07:09 AM
Nat, remember you taught us with two hands Simultaneously.

red5angel
01-09-2002, 08:39 AM
Same as above for my school, but we may take it a step further, you have to be doing 'good' Dan Chi before mocing to two hands. This just means your structure must be good, stance, etc....

Shadowboxer
01-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Yes, it is a fundamental building block. I'm wondering if anybody does what we call "single hand-free hand", which is dan chi with stepping-noy/oi seen wai and toh ma? After this, we do single hand rolling- tan/bong against partner's fook before doulbe arm rolling.

JasBourne
01-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Yup, dan chi sao is 1st level training exercise, good solid basic.

Nat from UK
01-10-2002, 01:47 AM
Yes I step with Dan Chi Sau, but not initially.

A step with at the same time as a strike/forward motion with the opponent reacting with his hands and adjusting his stance if he feels he needs to.

Nat from UK

anerlich
01-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes to the stepping with Dan CS.

CLOUD ONE
01-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Do you find stepping with dan chi sau the one with the better ma-pu tends to control things better?

anerlich
01-10-2002, 09:26 PM
I might agree with you about the ma-pu if I knew what it was ...

vt108
01-11-2002, 12:34 AM
I have never stepped with Dan Chi. Maybe this is an exercise for the advanced students. :)

Nat from UK
01-11-2002, 02:25 AM
Ma = Stance Pu = ???

I assume Ma Pu is the step/stance, excuse my lack of knowledge but i am unfamiliar with this term.

If i understand that it is the stance than in answer to your question YES. If the opponent has a poor stance or structure the forward motion within Dan Chi Sau will go straight through their Bong/Tan/Fook .

Unfortunately I am usually the one with the crap stance and structure being driven through :(

I also train a variation of Dan Chi Sau with emphasis on Huan Sau, trying to occupy the inside gate and pressing forwards when you feel an opening

Nat from UK

Sharky
01-11-2002, 04:01 AM
what you can learn with dan chi sau is amazing. most schools are in too much of a rush to get you to double handed chi sau, like it was " better " or something.