PDA

View Full Version : help with tiger style

usedachi
11-11-2000, 02:58 AM
I learned Tiger Style 8 years ago. Since then I haven't formally taken lessons and I haven't practiced much.

I want to go back but I'd like to review some of the forms I learnt before.

Can anyone send me the pictoral forms (any form) of Tiger Style?

Thanks.

Shaolin Master
11-13-2000, 04:04 AM
Which Tiger Style ? (Teacher name, area, his teacher/lineage, China areaetc) help identify which style of tiger!

Which Forms ? Names usually help there are many!

Regards

Shi Chan Long

PlasticSquirrel
11-17-2000, 11:59 PM
i wish there were pictorial forms around! that'd seriously be really cool, i wish some people did it rather than making another gay page about their school or their style. there used to be a "ho-down in chinatown" monkey kung fu form up on the internet, with stepping maps, clear pics, and the whole thing was in macromedia flash. talk about perfect, but it isn't up anymore... (and i couldn't manage to stand on my hands, so i was stuck...) *sigh* /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif i've also been thinking of learning tiger (black tiger) on the side of my taiji, but i don't know which videos to get (note to people already commenting about how you can't learn from a video - no one cares. if they did, there wouldn't be so many videos out). what about tak wah eng's videos? how does black tiger compare with hung family? how long is the black tiger form?

usedachi
11-18-2000, 03:33 AM
I think I learnt Bak Fu. (white tiger)

And it doesn't really matter on what form. I want to practice the different stances and just some segments here and there.

I've been asked to put together a kung fu sequence for a multicultural day demonstration at school. So it'll be like improv but with Tiger moves.

And yeah, there are forms. There's one for longfist, and I found one before for 7 star praying mantis. I also have some pictorial forms at home for Yang style Tai Chi and some more for various forms of kung fu (I got them when I was totally serious on kung fu.....then I went to school =P)

If anyone has any for any form of Tiger, please scan them and then email them to me or upload them somewhere and put a link to them. Thanks

Shaolin Master
11-20-2000, 11:08 AM
You're not worthy !

Shi Chan Long

Kung Lek
11-20-2000, 08:25 PM
check out http://www.hungga.net

watch the videos for tiger flavour in the Fu/hok set.

Hung Gar has a lot of Tiger flavour throughout the entire system.

of especial importance is the hand form "Fu Jow"
and various uses of it in context to what the body is doing that flavours the movement with Tiger.

peace

"not worthy" hahahahaha, are any of us worthy?

Kung Lek

usedachi
11-22-2000, 04:20 AM
Thanks....

hahaha....probably more worth than you! (long family history or martial arts) =)

Anyways, thanks all!

usedachi
11-22-2000, 04:26 AM
Oh, and to let you know, I can't learn animal style because my great grandfather learned that and he died last March =(

Shaolin Master
11-22-2000, 04:42 AM
My intention is you cannot learn from pictures. It is impossible....especially if it is a different tiger system.
Hung Gar is based on tiger but it is not tiger as such. Try those pics are very clear and Lam Sai Wing shows excellent basics given his older age.

Also he mentions White Tiger
There is the non related (Just name of a school), The Doo Wai's, The rarely found, The Lacys and the bootleggers.....and in essence white tiger is pretty different to a complete 'tiger essence' system.
To help such an individual with no moralistic grounds would be like leading the blind and promoting bad MAs....had he been more genuine in his approach then maybe.

Keep believing that...and you will progress

Long Family history of Martial Arts.......very good I guess 'Wu-De' was not part of the moral education.....can't be too good

Shi Chan Long
[When you know .... you will be different]

MoQ
11-22-2000, 09:51 AM
would likely be found in a fung shui book rather than the zoo...

"To KNOW is to KNOW that to KNOW is not to KNOW"
-Confucious

[This message was edited by MoQ on 11-23-00 at 01:59 AM.]

Kung Lek
11-23-2000, 12:21 AM
Hi-
Shaolin Master- The original set taught to Hung Hei Kwung was Gum Gee Fook Fu or "taming the tiger". He was taught this set by the monk sim see.

Hung Gar is founded in Shaolin Tiger System and built upon in that spirit (imho).
It is very much so a tiger system by all measures although it includes many other flavours.

peace

Kung Lek

Shaolin Master
11-23-2000, 01:07 AM
Sorry it was 'Fu Hu Quan' set originally taught at Fujian Shaolin. which Hung Xi Guan then developed 'Gung Zi Fu Hu Quan' from.

Regards

Shi Chan Long

usedachi
11-29-2000, 06:36 AM
thanks for the help

I am seeking old friends of my family to help me with my martial arts. Again, thanks for your help.

Peace be with you all.

usedachi
11-29-2000, 06:39 AM
One more thing I learned from him.

Eat healthy - a bowl of rice, with a balanced diet of vegetables and meat.
Exercise. Even though he was in his 90s, he would still go out for a walk each evening.
And last thing, live each day as if it were your last. Life is happiness. Learn to keep what you love and forget the rest.

He lived to 98.