PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of Training Before Sleep?

David
01-09-2002, 04:18 AM
I am the enemy of routine. That's fine a lot of the time except that I frequently find that it's the end of the day and I haven't done my training. So I stay up and do it, looking forward to a nice heavy sleep.

Unfortunately, my gf has observed that I become 'like a fish' during the night on these occasions. I sleep okay (as expected after working out) but apparently I am sweaty and my skin is cold.

Is this familiar to anyone? By that, I don't mean: have any of you slept with me after a good hard session..?

(Hey has anyone noticed their computer slowing down with the Bruce Lee movie banner at the top of the screen. It's ridiculous. Scrolling it out of view solves the issue.)

scotty1
01-09-2002, 05:11 AM
My GF has never noticed that.

Cheers for putting me onto Sifu Derek Frearson for the jau.
As it happens he also might be able to help me regarding training in China.:)

Robinf
01-09-2002, 07:06 AM
Shower after you workout. That'll take care of the sweat and cold skin.

Robin

Repulsive Monkey
01-09-2002, 07:23 AM
This has occured because you have exhausted your Yang energy and thud cold predominates. Also the Yang is depleted and thus it can no longer keep the pores of the skin closed thus they stay open and allow sweat to unevenly be expelled from the body. For healths sake if you do this make sure you are not sleeping any draughts as ths possible bring about cold like symptoms in the morning, aswell as deplete your egenral Qi.

fmann
01-09-2002, 11:15 AM
I exercise before I sleep, but I do so 1-2 hours before sleeping. So my routine is exercise, cooldown and relax, shower, then relax some more, then sleep.

I haven't had any problems. Perhaps you're not resting enough before you hit the hay.

David
01-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Scotty, I don't know where Derek Frearson came from - I gave you sifu Tony Willis' details hehe.

Robin, I read elsewhere that showering hot before bed had detrimental effects on sleep similar to that of exercise so I don't know what to do there... Cold shower?:eek:

Monkey, I don't sleep in a draft at home but interesting pore theory.

Robinf
01-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Warm shower -- room temperature. And stretch while you're in there.

Robin

fmann
01-09-2002, 02:43 PM
i've always heard the opposite. Warm/hot shower relaxes you, where as a cold shower would constrict your muscles and tense you up; Therefore energy is mobilized and you won't sleep.

anerlich
01-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Warm shower is best after a hard session. Too hot encourages bleeding from the microtraumas reulting from hard exercise and increases recovery time.

Cold shower WILL wake you up. Good in the morning though to get you hopping.

Make sure you take some fluids to avoid dehydration, not so much that you'll spend all night going back and forth to the toilet.

Try to relax with gentle breathing and eyes closed after exercise to prepare yourself for sleep. Meditation if you're into that.

Wear a T shirt or some other light loose clothing to bed. This allows your body to better regulate skin and internal temperature resulting in better sleep.