PDA

View Full Version : pak mei salutation.

thunder fist
11-08-2000, 07:52 PM
ng wu say hoi!!! 5 lakes 4 seas.

does anyone know what where the 5 lakes and 4 seas are?
i only know the name but not the history behind it. anyone care to share their knowledge about the salute.

thanks everyone /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wisdom mind
11-08-2000, 08:21 PM
i do not know about the lakes....

the salute is distinct to the system, it was made such to discern the clan from its shaolin counterparts back in the revolt days.

apparenlty, the traditional salute shaolin uses connotates disrespect as it shows the back of the fist to the person being saluted.

the open vertical palm indicates neutrality in the Mancurian/Shaolin battles and also means "we are all one family".

big up yourself and burn one

BIU JI
11-09-2000, 03:57 PM
Wasn't the wc salutation of something similar to this , bit of a secret hand shake of sorts,read this in a article about the "true history of wc".g

fiercest tiger
11-10-2000, 07:37 AM
i dont know the names of the 5 lakes. the four seas are the oceans - north, south, east & west. it means that all martial artists are brothers.

the right willow leaf palm (lo yip jeung)represents the shaolin buddhist respect, and the left phoenix eye (fung narng) represents bak mei & his fighting ability.

hope this helps

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

eightgates
11-11-2000, 05:22 AM
The saying "ng wu say hoi" was used quite commonly in ancient times. This idiom meant "the empire" or "the entire country." There may have been various lakes considered as the "5 lakes" at different times of history, but the one I'm aware of consist of : Lake Poyang in Kiangsi province, Lake Ts'ing-ts'ao in Hunan, Lake Tan-yang in Kiangsu, and Lake T'ai in Kiangsu. As Fiercest Tiger mentioned, in ancient times China was considered to be bordered by 4 seas in each cardinal direction, everywhere else were barbarian tribes.

Another interpretation of the Bak Mei salute is that the clenched fist (5 knuckles) represent the 5 lakes. The 4 upright fingers of the palm represent the 4 seas. Together, they encompass all the Middle Kingdom (China).

Best wishes,
:

fiercest tiger
11-11-2000, 10:46 AM
i have also been told that the palms 5 fingers are the 5 lakes and the spaces in between them are the 4 lakes.

peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com