PDA

View Full Version : southern mantis in america

J-Mantis
11-08-2000, 12:39 AM
hello all!
i was wondering who teaches southern mantis in america. i know there is gin foon mark, is there anybody else? what about henry yee, anybody study with him or know anthing about him? thanks.

Biejo
11-08-2000, 05:56 AM
You've just picked one of the most controversial topics in this board. Good Luck...you're gonna need it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

J-Mantis
11-08-2000, 06:50 AM
i don't want to be involved in any controversy i just want to know who teaches in america and where, that's it. if anyone doesn't want to discuss on this forum than please email me at
jmantis2000@yahoo.com
thanks.

phantom
11-08-2000, 07:13 PM
One of Gin Foon Mark's teaches southern Mantis in New Jersey. I think it is in Cherryville. I do not know the name of the sifu, but I think the name of the school has Gin Foon Mark in it. I hope this helps. Peace.

Biejo
11-12-2000, 12:44 AM
www.mantis.org.uk (http://www.mantis.org.uk)

Check this place out. They have a world-wide listing.

word
11-12-2000, 07:19 AM
Henry Po Yee is not a long time studet of the grandmaster. Gin Foon Mark is. Mark hates Po Yee. In the high school days there were a lot of fights. Po Yee was playing soccer.

MoQ
11-12-2000, 08:11 PM
In the days of yore, when the likes of Bak Mei, Shotokan, Tae Kwan Do, Fu Jow, Kempo etc. were just being invented, Mok Chin Fung(Gin Foon Mark) brought real Kung Fu to America.

On the other hand, Henry Poo Yee was the name of the Last Emperor of China.

Hope this tells someone SOMETHING.

phantom
11-13-2000, 09:02 PM
Now that I think about it, I believe that New Jersey sifu's name from Gin Foon Mark's lineage is Martin Eisen. There is also a Southern Mantis school in Alabama, I think it is in Decatur. I think the school's name is Bamboo Temple. They have run an ad in some issues of Inside Kung Fu magazine, so yu might want to pick up an issue of the mag from the last few months. I hope this helps. Peace.

MonkeySlap Too
11-13-2000, 11:26 PM
Is Roger Hagood. I've heard people ***** about him, but I've met him and discovered two things:

He's for real and has great skill, He's a nice guy, and an articulate instructor.

And no, I'm not involved in the SPM world. None of those guys like each other, but most of the ones I've met had good gong fu.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

MonkeySlap Too
11-13-2000, 11:26 PM
Okay, that was more than two things...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

spmkf
11-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Hey Everybody

This is all that i know about Henry Poo Yee

He was never in any of the group shots of all of Lam Sangs Disciples but still claims that he was a disciple.

He also claims that Lam Sang Gave him his alter but the truth is, Gin Foon Mark is the holder of Lam Sangs Alter and Artifacts.

Lam Sangs Disciples teach the style all basically similar but Henry Yee Teaches it totally different and still calls it Jook Lum. He claims that Lam Sang taught him a different version but how many versions could there be?

Its sad to know that somebody would switch the whole style and make up most of it.

Sam
11-19-2006, 06:27 PM
James Cama Sifu JCama108@aol.com

TenTigers
11-19-2006, 07:22 PM
okay, let's not turn this into any pi$$ing match about who has what. I must say, that to Poo Yee's credit, he did seek out other teachers and his art is a very good one. Sure, you might say it is not the same as Mark Foon's or others, but he still has great skill, and from what I hear, is a good, forthright Sifu. This, above all is what separates the wheat from the chaff.
Bottom line, if you like what you are doing, then all is good. Period.
There are quite a few teachers of Jook Lum, and to be quite frank, not many of them agree with what the other is doing. Everyone thinks they have the sh!t, and everyone else is wrong. So fine. Let them. Of course, asking them to agree to dissaggree would be the way, but things are as they are. I am but a neophyte in Jook Lum, but I am very happy to be learning what I am learning, and that's all there is to it.
In NY, we have Norman Chin and Milton Chin, and now James Cama is teaching in NYC as well. There are others, but finding them, and whether or not they are taking on students is quite a diferent story.
Now, here I go stepping on people's toes....there are people out there teaching SPM. They may be good, they may not. They might have gotten direct transmission from the old man himself, and might even have his hand.BUT...many have not, for whatever reason, passed on his hand to the next generation. This mightbe for lack of teaching talent, for not finding the right person to pass their art down to, for selfish reasons, or that they simply do not care to pass it down. Who knows? Find a teacher.If you like what you are learning, well, that;'s it, isn't it?
peace
TT

Sam
11-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Noble words Rick. Now is the time for Southern Mantis practitioners to come together and put away our differences. I think that New York City should be the Mecca for an annual Mantis tournament. I would name it "G.M. Lam Sang's Southern Mantis Classic". I suggest this for all that he's done for Southern Mantis. What better way to get to know each other and make new friendships. Of course there will always be controversy and pollitics but isn't that the fun of it as long as we all agree to disagree. Like Cama Sifu always says, "Hands Will Tell".

B.P.Campbell
11-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I would be the guy who feels he has to defend Sifu Yee, as I believe I have been with him the longest. I've been with Sifu Yee a long time now and know way to much about the politics of this system. I have heard many people who claim to know a lot about my teacher, but when I meet with them or read what they have written, I find they are just passing on 2nd or 3rd hand information, with little or no truth.
Please guys keep my teacher out of these stupid discussions, about who's who in JL. Most , if not all of you dont have a clue as to what your talking about and just should'nt say anything about him. Every so often this stuff comes up and there always is someone going on about Sifu Yee's skill in JL, as if they had some inside clue as to what he's doing. Believe me, you dont have a clue.

As for his Altar, it is as he says. I was with him in the 80's in Florida when he recieved it, and it did come from Lum Sang. There is much you dont know about Sifu Yee and Lum Sang and most likely will never no.

Is Sifu Yee's JL different then the others? I would say yes it is! I've seen many different JL people, and they all are different. None of them look alike. Is Sifu Yee's approach different in teaching this system? I would guess it is. Although I have never studied with any of the other teachers.

What was between Lum Sang and Sifu Yee, we will never no. We will either choose to believe what Sifu Yee has said to be true, or you will choose to believe otherwise. I have been around long enough that i choose to believe what he has told me as the truth.
Lum was alive and well when he made these claims. There were articles published of Sifu Yee's claims as far back as 1988. Not once did anyone, and I mean anyone protest of his claims. Lum was well aware of what he was saying in these articles. Only after Lum's death did all this crap start.

Everyone of the people who make statements of Sifu Yee not being who he says in JL, I have been told stories about by people other then Sifu Yee. There are many stories out there about people in JL . Most of these stories are of what people have claimed Lum passed on. Do i write about them and make assumtions? I choose not too. Why?? Because it would only be here say!!!

Again I will say this. Sifu Yee does seminars all over the U.S. they are always advertised months in advance, and are open to the public. He has done some demo's in NY Chinatown, and never was he approached by anyone, that he was doing something wrong. He is in the public more then most JL teachers.

So guys, if you dont like what he's doing, dont study with him. Do your own thing! He certainly dont care what you are doing. So why care about him?

And guys please dont write threats to me and call me names.
If you want to come and see me, you got my address.
If you want to drop me a note, you have that too.

God Speed

Bruce P. Campbell
166 Green Hill Rd.
Conestoga, Pa. 17516
email benbuster@comcast.net

Shadow Skill
11-23-2006, 08:28 AM
My sifu says skip the politics, the only thing that matters is if your hand are right, Their will be arguments about our style forever, He sais "if Poo Yee's methods are so off then test my hands".:rolleyes:

Sam
11-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Yes hands do tell. Also there is documented proof on video and tape of Grand Master Lam Sang himself stating whats what and who's who.

B.P.Campbell
11-24-2006, 05:18 AM
You should find the people who made up those stories of Sifu Yee getting beat up and ask them why they tell such BS. Sifu Yee's been to NY Chinatown I think 3 times in the past 5 years. Once he stayed for about 2 weeks. The time he went and did the demo in Chinatown there was about 5 students with him, and nobody said or did anything, but praise him on his gung fu. He had many witnesses to that.
As for him coming back to NY Chinatown? Im sure if he does, it will be like always anounced way in advance. He's not afraid to go anywhere, he's all over the country.

You sure dont know Sifu Yee, cause he dont get slapped around like any rag doll. Thats laughable!!
As for tapes, I heard a few tapes of Lum talking about his art back in the 80's. Sifu Yee brought them back from NY, when he returned from a visit in the 80's. You might be surprised what he had to say about some people then. I think there is two different tapes, each about 2 hours. I ask Sifu Yee to release there contents 7 -8 years ago, and he said he would not, cause it would hurt certain people. He said these people are old now and it made no sense to hurt them.

As for people who are loyal to him? Yes there is many of us who are loyal. His gung fu is as good as any I have seen, bar none. You cant spend anytime with him and not respect his skill. You guys are mostly interested in politics, who said this and who did that. Gung fu skill is secondary to most of you.

For the last time, Sifu Yee got most of his JL from Lum Sang. He started making these claims many years before Lum passed. There is much proof of this. He dont care what you think of him. If he was worried about getting slapped around, I dont think he would do the many public demonstrations he does per year.
For years we heard this crap how, he better not go to NY cause all these JL people were going to set him straight. Well, we found out that was just more BS cause he has been there and done that. One was a public demo in Chinatown NY. none came. The compliments on his gung fu then were many, from gung fu people up there.

And for the last time. Go to the JL teachers you respect. Have them show you the real JL. Practice it and be loyal to your teacher. Have your teacher show you not only the fighting but the character that goes with the arts. Dont waste your time with teachers who just want to tell you stories about other practitioners of JL. If they tell you stories how they did this and that to other JL people, ask them to show you proof. Spend your time training and not so much on what others are doing.

Please guys, talk about how great your teacher is, tell us how lucky you are to have him. Talk of his skill and tell stories how he is the best in the world. Say how he has the real thing, and talk about how you no everybody who learned this and that from this master and others. But please keep my teacher out of this! He dont go on about any of your teachers. He dont care what they are doing. When were with Sifu Yee he dont talk about any politics, and if anybody brings them up, he nips it in the bud.

Some of you guys like to use the catchey pharse; "the proof is in the hand" yes it is fellows. So leave it at that.

P.S.
and if you are going to write on this forum, and you want respect? Use your real name. Your teacher should have taught you that.

B.P. Campbell
166 Green Hill Rd.
Conestoga, Pa. 17516
717-871-9798 / 717-629-0615
benbuster@comcast.net

Sam
11-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Grand master Lam Sang has touched many peoples lives. Many have made outrageous claims in his name. The truth of the matter is this......
1) G.M. Lam Sang never appointed a successor.
2) The altar was given to his son.
Many are teaching Kwong Sai Jook lum gee Tong Long pai as "they" know it with their flavoring. If you are happy with the teachings then so be it. If one does not want people attacking their credibility then they shouldn't make claims to an altar and their time line of instruction should be provable. There are people who have documented information that G.M. Lam Sang himself left. This is family business and is left in-house to be dealt with privately.

spmkf
11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I dont know where your getting that info from Sam but its not true.

Sam
11-24-2006, 06:17 PM
The burden of proof is not on me but on all those making claims!!!!!!!

B.P.Campbell
11-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Well said Sam. Now if everybody would just go on their own truth there would be no problems. As for proving anything!!! One does not have to prove anything to me. Do as you want, make claims about this system as you want, study with whoever, be happy. Just keep Sifu Yee out of your discussions. And know one, will not have to here from the likes of me.

As for proving claims, one only has to show proof to the ones who train with them. As they are the people who have made the investment. I have seen plenty of proof of his claims over the past 20 some odd years.

As I said before and will say for the last time. Lam Sang was alive and well for years while Sifu Yee made these claims, and not one person, not one, objected. It was only after his death, that it all started.

Enough is enough, and I'm done. Now be happy with your teacher learn all that you can, and be loyal.

God Speed
B.P.Campbell
166 Green Hill Rd.
Conestoga, Pa. 17516
benbuster@comcast.net
717-871-9798 / 717-629-0615

spmkf
11-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Well said B.P. Campbell

Shadow Skill
12-06-2006, 05:22 PM
someone made a good point it's been silent over here fora whille shhh!!! just listen

BIGG S-MANTIS
12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
:D "and a hush fell over the crowd"
dude your funny

5thBrother
12-08-2006, 07:25 AM
B.P. Campbell:

hehe 20 years .. or is it 25! dam the years go by!...

and always all the tong long pai bicker even in da same pai! heheh
i guess mantis is a carnivours woman :/

i', chow gar pai so dun care jook lum politics...

every few years same old same old sh1t sigh

pours B.P. Campbell a long island tea or a lemon tea... let them babble sh1t....

its all in the hands baby~

for many styles "who has the ORIGINAL HAND": who knows... who cares... its the pricnipels, concepts, theories, gungs, abilty etc...

ist like "which style is better" stuffs

ok too many long island teas for meeee...

but ... study the skills of a teacher.. if good good if not not...

PROGRESS UR SKILLS, PORGRESS URSELF AS A HUMAN thats good...

I would bottom line:

Does Henry Pu Yee Have GUNG FU:
Does Henry Pu Yee Have a Nice Heart:

i dun think ANYONE can deny this (oh crap.. ok some will but meh...)

is Henry Pu Yee - THE GRANDMASTER OF JOOK LUM TONG LONG GUNGFU! - i dun think he cares himself.. why should u....

if u dun like his jook lum go to another jool lum sifu.. if u dun like that jook lum sifu go to another.. if u dun like any of them .. well go study Lung ying or x :P

if taht made no sense

well drink up den train had tomolo (saturday here) 8am-12pm

:)

OutlawMonk
01-15-2007, 10:52 PM
The politics of who is the rightful heir will go on forever and will worsen upon the eventual death of each of the top JL Masters alive today. This is a shame because so much will be lost in the minutes wasted fighting over who has what. Only the character of the men will prevail and B.P. has displayed the highest level of character.

So here's my story:
Back in early 2006, I had the pleasure of meeting Sifu Yee personally and spent two days training with him and his disciples at a ymca in NJ. First of all, his Gung Fu is dead-on unbelievable. This fact I cannot imagine anyone disputing. Never before had I seen and felt such power. During a demonstration, I looked a bit puzzled and he called me up and demonstrated how chi can move. First he had me feel his throat and it felt like a normal windpipe. He closed his eyes and took a few breathes, then told me to feel it again. It was as though a rubber hose was covering his Adams Apple. Then he told me to strike it and I didn't know what to do. It was something I will never forget and you cannot make this stuff up. His short power shook the floor of the gym we were in and the movements looked effortless. This is a trademark of each of the genuine masters I have met. Their movements were effortless, yet the power was overwhelming.

Sifu Yee's body connection defied logic. If you do not believe this, walk up to him and give it your best, but prepare to be humbled. The fact that he has scores of LOYAL students all over the world speaks volumes and his ability to transfer this knowledge is certainly a large part of his allure. To see it first-hand is worth triple the price of admission. I've paid more for seminars given by masters with little first-hand knowledge of the system and here I was in the presence of a genunine master. I was giddy. While his english was a little difficult to understand, his hands and Gung Fu did not need words. The logic behind his moves is what he was trying to get across and this type of information can only be found in the hands of a real master. This is the problem with buying video tapes- you cannot see or feel the real power and the nuances are all lost. In demonstrating on one of his students, he taught us another valuable lesson- the sound of impact is the difference between life and death. No sound = internal damage. Think of a ***** slap compared with a phoenix eye to the throat while using 1000 pounds of body connection. It will take many, many years of practice to attain this level of awareness and connection, but what greater goal is there in Gung Fu?

There was no mistaking Sifu Yee's skill or character and I'm upset at the fact that he is now approaching 70 and I didn't know of him until last year. To all who are interested, do not waste time. Simply make the call and see for yourself.

Enough about the physical... More impressive than Sifu Yee's physical skill was his character. He was the first to admit that as a young man he made mistakes, but what followed read like a manual on martial virtue and I am thankful to have heard it first-hand. It changed my course immediately. How many of you have sat next to a genuine master and heard his words first-hand? I don't mean heard, I mean understood, absorbed and acted on! It's like experiencing a part of history that alters your course. There is no b.s. with this man. I have trained with Sifus who keep everything secret; they belittle other styles outright, don't respect their students and basically lack the martial character that is necessary to lead people of character and integrity. I have also trained with a Master who led by example and held nothing back. He is from the other side of the JL fence, so I have seen that both sides have men of character and incredible skill. It would seem that regardless of which path you choose with regard to current Sifus of JL, you cannot go wrong. Each side has incredible talent, the best of which is never displayed in public. This boggles the mind. I strained to remember all of the things he said, but it was an overwhelming amount of knowledge and wisdom- more than anyone could retain in one sitting. This year, I shall go again and try my best to retain some more of this wisdom. A few weeks with Sifu Yee would work wonders on your ability to see.

To preempt this next statement, I sat two seats to Sifu Yee's right and asked him questions for hours during a meal at a local diner after training where he taught 6.5 hours virtually straight! I was like a kid in a candy store sitting in front of the Oracle.. He did not dodge a single question and struck me as an absolutely forthright man. He commended many masters which I asked him about and stood several times from the table to demonstrate his statements. One that is firmly burned into my brain was "how can you know the right power unless you feel it from your master? You cannot!"? How many of you have trained with a master who doesn't actually demonstrate on you, then allow you to do the move back to so that you know the right power and where it exists in the technique? This statement was one of many that helped clarify the path I personally needed to take.

Lastly, Sifu Yee still trains every freakin day and did not once stop because he was tired during the 14 hours we trained over two days. He outlasted the entire place sitting in a dragon stance- it was unbelieveable. We were all shaking like leaves and he was smiling lower than all of us. He lives and breathes martial arts to a level I have never seen. His art is alive and continaully changing. How many can make the same claim? Additionally, there were 32 people at this seminar which lasted two days and among them were at least six Sifus! Who else pulls that kind of weight? The average tenure in the room was over 20 years. Undeniable. All were more than eager to assist me and any others who were falling behind or new to the system. An intense brotherhood existed in the room and I was honored to be among them.

If you want to feel the hands of a Master, regardless of what crown, altar, title, he does or does not hold, seek out Sifu Yee. You will not be disappointed.

ftgjr
01-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Very Well said Outlaw Monk. I wish I had taken advantage of the opportunity to train with Poo Yee at the seminar in Trenton back in 2006. I was fortunate to have met one of his students (thanks to Outlaw Monk) and feel first hand the kind of power that the art does possess. I have been priveledged to have trained with some genuine and some not-so genuine masters. I have found that it is the genuine one that hold nothing back and are willing to give you everything without hesitation.

The next time Poo Yee has as seminar on the east coast, you can bet that I will make every effort to attend!

ftgjr
01-16-2007, 06:08 AM
[QUOTE=ftgjr;731886]Very Well said Outlaw Monk. I wish I had taken advantage of the opportunity to train with Poo Yee at the seminar in Trenton back in 2006. I was fortunate to have met one of his students (thanks to Outlaw Monk) and feel first hand the kind of power that the art does possess. I have been priveledged to have trained with some genuine and some not-so genuine masters. I have found that it is the genuine one that hold nothing back and are willing to give you everything without hesitation.

The next time Poo Yee has as seminar on the east coast, you can bet that I will make every effort to attend!

TenTigers
01-17-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't care about the political BS. All I know is, years ago when Poo Yee came out, Icalled him up and he actually invited me to stay at his home. He didn't know me from Adam. I went to a seminar and met Russell,Maurice,Sifu Manganiello, and Sifu Cama were there as well. These people were extremely hospitable. We were invited back to their Mo-Kwoon and trained until midnite. This speaks volumes.
Yan Yee Do Duk.

Sam
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Just to clarify, I was never a student of Henry Poo Yee. I had taken a seminar over 15 years ago before I met my instructor Robert Lee. After that Sifu told me to go to the Atlantic City seminar that featured Gin Foo Mark, Jimmy Soo, and Norman Chin to see the Mantis community. I met alot of good people and respect them all.
James Cama Sifu C.F.M.A.C.

TenTigers
01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
oops, my apologies! It wasn't my intention to imply that Sifus Cama, Manganiello, nor myself were students of Poo Yee. At that time, very few people had even heard about SPM, so when someone goes public, it arouses curiosity. We simply heard about him, and went to check out the seminar.

Sam
01-28-2007, 10:22 AM
James Cama C.F.M.A.C. Sifu is teaching classes in traditional Kwong Sai Jook lum Gee Tong Long Pai at 225 Park Row Chinatown Sports Club Mon. & Wed. 8:00 to 10:00pm. Tel: 347 495-6992. www.jooklummantis.com