PDA

View Full Version : Which styles of Kung Fu develops good evasion skillz???

Leonidas
01-09-2002, 09:10 PM
I been wondering this for awhile being that i'm a pretty small guy. I wouldn't last very long with continuous blocking. Thats one of the reasons i passed on styles like Hung Gar, Longfist... etc. Of course theres nothing wrong with blocking but getting out the way seems to be the best defense for me personally.

joedoe
01-09-2002, 09:14 PM
How small are you?

Felipe Bido
01-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Yeah, how small are you?

Bagua has pretty good evasion skills

EARTH DRAGON
01-09-2002, 10:41 PM
Ba gua or aikido which has no blocking or strikes but rather turning with your opponent inorder to use his force..... very hard to learn but very effective

LEGEND
01-09-2002, 10:58 PM
BOXING.

Leonidas
01-09-2002, 11:31 PM
I'm about 5'6.

Leonidas
01-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Anything else. I knew about Bagua and boxing is not for me either.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-09-2002, 11:39 PM
I agree with legend on this one.

Boxing is an excellent way to get fighting fit in a short period of time.
It's a very basic system Jab, straght, hook and uppercut are your 4 basic boxing punches. Blocking in boxing is more like countering and conditioning your self to take hits.

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning.

There is a huge difference from being in shape and being in fighting shape. Almost like going from a couch potato to being in shape.

The training can be very fun and almost euforic. Especially when you get your heart racing from bag workouts or sparring.

I just sparred with a guy tonight who was at least 50 lbs /23Kg lighter than me. He was very hard to hit out in the open. I had to work him towards the ropes or in the corner to contain him. He was pretty good too got me with a few good shots to the head. It still hurts a bit... I'm thinking that I like rolling better. It doesn’t hurt as much.

Xebsball
01-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Boxing is not Kung Fu :p

I heard something like a monkey style having good evasions and stuff, but im not sure, you'd have to ask the monkey people to confirm that...

Johnny Hot Shot
01-09-2002, 11:49 PM
But you can have Boxing Kung fu :D

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Is there Tai shing Pek kwar in the big apple. Oh yea i'm actually 5'4. my friend has been trying to sell me on Uechi Ryu Karate. Is that more crap Karate or is it worth learning. Does it have evasion or just those horrible looking Shotokan like blocks

Paul
01-10-2002, 12:16 AM
dude,
evasion skillz? Any good school should probably teach you this stuff I would think regardless of style, system, art, etc.

I have heard good things about Uechi-ryu. Never seen it in person though.

Whatever happened to the Bak Mei class?

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 12:22 AM
People told me that Kwong Man Fong withholds info. He told a student that he wouldn't teach him real power for 15 YEARS. Whats the H*ll is up with that.

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Maybe i'm reading into it wrong and he was just testing his students to see who is really devoted. Like how it was done in the old days. Least he can't make his students clean his school :D
Shame though. I was really into Bak Mei. I could still check it out.........

Paul
01-10-2002, 12:28 AM
that sucks if it's true.

kungfu cowboy
01-10-2002, 02:17 AM
He told a student that he wouldn't teach him real power for 15 YEARS. Whats the H*ll is up with that.

Sounds like he's looking for extended job security!:p

friday
01-10-2002, 02:51 AM
I think u should check lama kung fu out
the first defence is evasion
lion's roar ppl only resought to blocking as a secondary defence

regards

jon
01-10-2002, 02:55 AM
Any form of crane kung fu...
White crane in particular is VERY evasive and often practioners use the saying "one hand lies the other tells the truth".

Bagua as stated for the footwork.

Monkey kung fu for footwork and fooling elements. Tai Shing Pek Kwar is the pick of the bunch for monkey.

White eyebrow or Bak Mei is a very clever style that likes to use 'wit'. They are tricky and sly opponents and often very decieving.

Drunken forms though these are often found in other arts anyway.

Anystyle and just change your outlook on how you attack and defend.

SevenStar
01-10-2002, 04:19 AM
Crap karate? that's like saying most CMA styles suck. After training with some hardcore karate guys, I know from personal experience that it's not all crap. There may be some crap teachers, but that's with every style and is not representative of the style itself.

SwaiingDragon
01-10-2002, 07:06 AM
the best evasion technique is running (away)....

Seriously....try Shuai Chiao- most see "chinese wrestling" as confrontational, but being a police/military art- evading an attack is an essential skill.

And although I'm pro-CMA; I agree with some of the posts, other styles such as japanese akido or filipino arnis/kali would be effective in learning evading techniques

LEGEND
01-10-2002, 07:56 AM
Dood being short also...and having been in realistic fight against larger peeps! You're not going to be able to avoid punches like a JET LI movie. The only chance u have is to TRAP( yes...I said TRAP ) or bob and weave like TYSON( ala PEEKABOO style of boxing...there's a particular skool in NYC that specialize in this teaching ) or SHOOT for the legs...NOT AN UPPER BODY CLINCH cause that's suicide unless u're 200lbs or more! Being short however means u'll have a lower center of gravity so u're hooks and uppercuts should be tighter and powerful and your legs should be strong enuf to wrestle anyone down.

Yung Apprentice
01-10-2002, 08:08 AM
From what I know mantis has evasive footwork, afterall it was taken from the monkey system.

Yung Apprentice
01-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Does Hsing-Yi have evasive footwork?

JWTAYLOR
01-10-2002, 08:12 AM
I love the Aikido's O'Sensei words on the subject, "Abscent of body is better than presence of mind."

JWT

Shaolindynasty
01-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Legend- You can block like in the movies if you train right.

Back to the topic, I like White Crane but if you can't find it usually schools based on the 5 animals will have different strategies in them so you should be able to learn evasion(since crane is one of the animals, snake uses evasion to) also you'll learn alot of other things to so it will make you well rounded.

Crimson Phoenix
01-10-2002, 10:30 AM
The best evasion style is mizong quan, lost track boxing...hahahahah I had to do it :D

Ford Prefect
01-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Follow Leonidas' training and box and wrestle. Just like a Spartan... ;)

LEGEND
01-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Shaolin Dynasty...rittttttteeeeeeeeeeeee! You'll see me doing that matrix shiet sometime soon.

rogue
01-10-2002, 01:01 PM
The best thing that I've found for developing evasive skills is sparring, sparring and more sparring.

Boxers learn to evade because they have something actually coming at them in practice.

red5angel
01-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Hey Leonidas, I would recommed checking out Wing Chun, It was supposed to be designed for smaller people to defend against larger opponents. The only thing is we dont do a whole lot of "evasion" so much as redirection.

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanx for the replies. I wasn't bombing on Karate. I was defending it before, but i'm saying. 90% of schools just like in Kung Fu will get you killed in a fight. It has nothing to do with style........... I'll check out your suggestions, I never though about Ninjutsu. The only Ninja schools i know of are Genbukan and Bujinkan. What is the learning curve on it. What about Baguazhang. I know of one 5 animals school in NYC run by Christopher Lee, He learned from Po-Yen (?). Again thanx for your help

Braden
01-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Leonidas - Talk to Black Taoist in the Internals Forum about baguazhang. If you're interested, he should be able to point you towards who to check out in your area.

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 04:07 PM
ok thanx

Mutant
01-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Evasion on what?
There are plenty of schools out there that are excellent for evasion of reality :D

As some other posts above mentioned, and I agree, Wu Hsing Chuan (the 5 animals) has lots of great evasive manuvers.

And I agree with rogue, there is no substitute for lots of sparring to develop evasiveness.

KC Elbows
01-10-2002, 05:25 PM
I don't know if its a forte of the style, but I know a longfist practitioner who's quite good at evasion tactics.

KMF students
01-10-2002, 06:49 PM
People told me that Kwong Man Fong withholds info. He told a student that he wouldn't teach him real power for 15 YEARS.

It's amazing how misconceptions are started.

Our Sifu is a great believer in quality over quantity. Pak Mei power is not developed overnight, it takes hardwork and time.

Never believe all that you are told, and never disbelieve all either. Come by and check out our school and formulate your own opinion.

If you wouldn't mind, please email (PakMeiWhiteeyebrow@Hotmail.com) us privately of the names of the person/persons who made the above statement(s).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.whiteeyebrowpakmeikungfu.homestead.com

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 07:39 PM
Uh yea........see i would if i could but i can't. I dont knows the guys real name and he doesn't post here anymore so it wouldn't matter. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, just stating what i was told and thanx for clarifying. No biggie, as long as your happy with your teacher right?

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 07:45 PM
I'm p i s s ing off Sifu's left and right..............

friday
01-10-2002, 08:02 PM
lol poor leonadis haha

ahhh i m sure its not your fault...but i can see that u seem to hav a talent for it :)

regards,

Friday

Leonidas
01-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Yea its funny, i'm not doing it on purpose but i'm accomplishing more than professional fulltime trolls :rolleyes: :D

KungFuGuy!
01-10-2002, 09:51 PM
From what I hear, lung ying (dragon style) teaches a lot of twisting of the body to evade attacks.

KMF students
01-10-2002, 10:59 PM
No problem whatsoever, just clearing up a misconception.

If you don't feel comfortable in divulging the name(s) of the person(s) making the statements, that is fine, we just wanted to verify that the person(s) were a former/current student.

People are strange, in real life they question everything, but post a statement on the web and all of a sudden it becomes gospel.

There are a tremendous amount of individuals that will read the post and not even visit our school. Who can blame them based upon the 'statements'.

Keep an open mind and judge for yourself was the message we were trying to communicate.

Please feel free to visit our school and formulate your own opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.whiteeyebrowpakmeikungfu.homestead.com/

Leonidas
01-11-2002, 12:31 AM
We..................your scaring me.

But seriously. I didn't mean to cause problems. All i can go by is what people tell me. Thanx again for clearing that up though. I'm gonna stay neutral from now on. I dont know who to believe anymore................Screwed any way you look at it.

Leonidas
01-11-2002, 12:38 AM
Oh yea let me add. The man doesn't go to your school anymore so please dont go on a witch-hunt

Richie
01-11-2002, 05:21 AM
Tai Shing style (Monkey boxing).

TenTigers
01-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Continuous blocking in Hung-Ga? Preposterous! Hung-Ga does not block, period. We deflect, trap, or destroy with limb destructions, but we don't block. Blocking puts you a step behind your opponent, always having to play catch-up. This is a no-win situation. Evasion is used with footwork, and waistwork. Dodging, stepping, circling,ducking, jumping, all are contained within our system. It is a misnomer that Hung-Ga lacks mobility. Hung-Ga has very active footwork, yet very stable stances. If prperly taught, that is. If it's taught by someone who either can't comprehend the system, or by someone who is unable to move themselves due to their own body structure, it's not the system, it's the practitioner.

Leonidas
01-15-2002, 07:36 PM
I thought the point of Hung gar was to destroy the other persons arms with your blocks. I thought thats why you conditioned your forearm?