PDA

View Full Version : Side Kick

KC Elbows
01-10-2002, 08:11 AM
What type set-up do others use for a side kick? What kind of situations do you find the sidekick useful for?

Tekarius
01-10-2002, 08:14 AM
I think the side kick is one of the most powerful kicks. I usually use it when an opponent is charging at me or when he gets too close. its good cuz its almost impossible to block a sick kick.

clark

DelicateSound
01-10-2002, 08:18 AM
If he throws a front kick and I side step away, I find a sidekick to the midriff wakes him up! :)

Only managed it a few times, but it was lovely.

shaolinboxer
01-10-2002, 08:20 AM
"its good cuz its almost impossible to block a sick kick."

I have found the opposite to be true. It can be vary easy to spot and stop, catch, or evade a sidekick, but it is indeed a powerful and great long range kick. It also has the advantage of being launched from the leg closest to your opponent.

To set up the kick, some high hand strike to open up the lower guard can be good.

I find this kick is very effective when a person is retreating from you and trying to gather their balance, or right when they try to move in (especially if they are trying to pass you kicking range in order to punch you).

MightyB
01-10-2002, 08:21 AM
You can also set it up with a lead jab. You use the lead jab to open up your opponent's midsection. The combo usually goes like this: Lead Jab, Side Kick, Spinning Back Kick.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-10-2002, 08:34 AM
i find it good for jamming most kicks too.

i guess i don't have any real complicated setups for it. i like to launch one to the knee when someone has just moved in and all their weight is on their front leg. i also like using it on their supporting leg if they go for a roundhouse.

oh ... and if anyone ever trys a spinning move without proper setup i side kick them in the ass pretty hard for being dumb.

premier
01-10-2002, 08:47 AM
Front leg side kick is IMO a lot more useful than the rear leg one and it's a lot easier to set up. Front leg side kick is an easy and fast way to stop your opponent's attack by kicking him in his gut when he's coming at you. And if your opponent isn't that good fighter, you can try to get him to raise his guard by hitting him to his head with your front hand and then launch the front leg side kick to his stomach. This combination works ok even if the opponent blocks the punch and starts to attack. Fu mei gueuk, the tiger tail kick is pretty neat too.

I don't usually use rear leg side kick that much, because a normal rear leg heel kick does the job just as good and it's easier and faster to pull off. The rear leg side kick could also be slightly easier to block than the front leg, but of course, it's matter of setting up the kick correctly.

Side kicks make nice counter attacks after blocking a kick with the shins. If you're fast enough, you can even nail the supporting leg.

JWTAYLOR
01-10-2002, 08:54 AM
I dont' throw a side kick off the front leg unless I've done an approaching cross step(twist stance) to set it up. The only kicks I throw stait off the front leg are front and round house. That's not becuase sides and hooks are no good off the front leg, it's because I can't do them very well.

As far how I set up the rear leg, I use it almost exclusively for retreating opponents. The hard face jab to side works allot. I like to throw it at a bit of an angle up and into the flaoting ribs or just strait into the the gut. Sometimes it's nice to kick them square into the hip with the side kick and turn them.

Oh, and I pretty much exclusively use the "knife edge" brand of the side kick. I pick my heel up and point my knee at the target, and then lauch my foot out.

There is a "defensive side kick" that aims with the heel of the foot and then launches out with the lead leg, but I find that kick not so usefull against a fully committed opponent.

In sparring, if the opponent fighs from a side stance, I like to try and dead leg the thigh with a side kick to the thigh. Always fun.

I also find the side kick easy to catch.

JWT

Badger
01-10-2002, 08:57 AM
I have defeated a Wrestler twice my size with a sidekick during a challenge match.

He rushed in for a takedown.I went in at the same time & "BLAM" He fell on his butt.

He got up,tried the same thing & "DOUBLE BLAM" I hit the same spot.

He was on painkillers the next day because I broke 2 of his ribs.

My sidekick is always c ocked,locked & ready to rock!

Badger

fa_jing
01-10-2002, 10:14 AM
I find it most useful if the opponent is coming in. Just pick up the leg and kick. If I'm going in and starting with a kick, I prefer the front heel kick so I can follow up more easily with my hands. The lead leg side kick is fast, but has more power if you step up first with the rear foot. I also use the rear leg side kick for agressively trying to knock my opponent around, it's very fast if you turn out your front foot, then bring the rear knee up and kick in one motion.

So, do you guys turn your supporting heel back 180 degrees like in TKD, or do you keep the angle less like most CMA styles? I like to keep the supporting heel around 135 degrees when attacking with the lead side kick, about 90 degrees if attacking with the rear leg, if I'm moving back it gets closer to 180, probably 160 or so. Also, the defensive kick while moving back is always with the lead leg.

We train to be able to kick at all angles, in fact we regularly train a side kick where the base heel is less than 90 degrees from forward, in other words the base heel is pointing slightly forward like in your ready stance. This is good for a stop kick, the trick is bending at the hip. And timing-mine needs improvement.

-FJ

SanShou Guru
01-10-2002, 12:05 PM
You can see some sidekicks used by Marvin Perry who is probably the best Kicker in US San Shou today here (http://www.marvinperry.org/framesix.htm) . You can also see how establishing that range allows him space to catch his opponents kicks with ease.

Mr Nunchaku
01-10-2002, 08:57 PM
Great topic, I wish I had seen it earlier since I am in tae kwon do.

I too find side kicks easy to defend against, of course unless my opponent uses it in a smart way.

My head instructors side kick is awesome. Sorry to brag, but I just love it when he uses it. Sometimes he uses the side kick to set up the opponent for something else or sometimes he will use something else to set up the opponent for the side kick.

If you see someone in TKD place their foot on the floor, wether it is after a kick with that leg or simply stepping forward, and they land the foot on the floor pre-pivoted, rest assured get ready for a side kick.

My instructor, however, will actually hide what he is doing from your perception. He will be in a middle stance. He strikes to your face with a quick backfist. At the exact moment his back leg has slid right up next to his front leg. However, he keeps his knees bent to appear as though he has done no such thing. As the backfist retracts the side kick with the front leg is coming for you.

I love watching his deceptive footwork more than anything. That is to say, I like watching when I don't spar him, and if I do spar him I try to see what he is doing.

fa_jing
01-11-2002, 04:17 PM
C'mon guys, at what angle is your base foot when you do your side kick and why?

-FJ

LEGEND
01-11-2002, 04:26 PM
I have never like the side kick but that's cause I don't like kicking..
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT...
it's a great tech. if u master it! It's powerful as hell...I've seen guys that can kick hard enuf to kill an average man...especially middle and heavy weight guys that can use the side kick!

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-11-2002, 04:48 PM
my base foot is usually straight. if momentum carries me through a little more it will turn about 45 degrees heel towards groin.

Sharky
01-11-2002, 07:48 PM
i've never been taught it, but jesus h christ i want to learn it.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-11-2002, 09:43 PM
the side kick?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-11-2002, 09:44 PM
if i remember right you used to do wing chun . ..

no side kicks in wc?

Sharky
01-11-2002, 09:47 PM
yeah the side kick. always wanted to learn it. I've always thought it must be so powerful

there is technically a side kick in wing chun, but it doesn't go higher than the knee and is nothing like what we're talking about here.

and there are no kicks in boxing. obviously.

SanHeChuan
01-11-2002, 10:06 PM
I find the front leg sidekick to be one of my most effective tools for point sparring, as for full contact I don’t think that I’ve developed enough power yet.

I can pretty much land it when ever I want and it's one of the few techniques that I can land consistently that I still use in (learning) sparring, I should really stop.

Some times I step up with a jab, some times I wait for their attack and the kick, some times I just kick. It doesn't land all the time but most of the time.

I want to be able to recover faster so I can use it when my sifu sweeps my front leg. If I retain my balance I can land a week sidekick but he has already gotten me by then.

I usually just kick strait in, and hit the floating ribs area, but what ever is open is good for me. And I believe my foot pivots 90 degrees.

Tae Li
01-12-2002, 01:30 AM
ahrm.....if I may?

The side kick...yes....i recall. Well, I reckon it is def. a powerful kick, but best used when from the front. If your good at keeping your balance, its great when someone charges right in to you, and your just standing there, and all you have to do is lift your leg and strike!! Ive tried it numerous times in Sparring, its great low and high, and i love coliding and srewing up peoples kicks...they just look stupid, esp. when I do it repeatedly!!

But I reckon a simple front push is also quite effective. you just have to work on power, speed and balance, and you will realise that the simplest kicks, simply co-ordinated are very effective.

Tae Li;)

Tae Li
01-12-2002, 01:32 AM
correction: what I mean is a simple front 'push kick'.:)

Good, better, Me
01-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Side kicks can be very usefull and powerfull. If some of you have read bruce lee's books, you can see that the famous "stop hit" is actually a side kick. The most powerfull kick in the world, is said to be the back kick. It's almost the same as a side kick, but it comes from turning the hip behind your back. Sort of like spinning hook kick. I wonder when Ralek will come here to troll....

fa_jing
01-13-2002, 11:51 AM
GDA When you say straight, you mean at a 90 degree angle to the motion of the thrust??

I train Wing Chun with some JKD influence, we do traditional Wing chun kicking drills with side kicks at waist level, our Chum Kiu form has 6 side kicks, all within the target range of hip to rib level. Some styles of Wing Chun also have the tiger tail kick. We practice the more powerful pivoted side kicks against the air shield. So Wing Chun has mid-level side kicks if you choose to train that way. Some lineages have fewer kicks, some have as many as 8, I suspect that kicks were added and deleted based on the practioner's personal preference.

More responses re: angle of base leg to forward, please.

Also, what advantages do you feel the side kick has over the front thrust kick? My side kick is strong but nowadays my front kick is just as powerful. Suprise is one reason, anytime you can throw a different/unexpected kick up there is good. Plus you can throw it when you're moving backwards, to me this is the biggest advantage. I do wonder if this kick might be easier to catch or manuever around than the front kick.

-FJ

fa_jing
01-14-2002, 11:44 AM
TTT What are the advantages/disadvantages of a side thrust vs. front thrust kick?

-FJ

JWTAYLOR
01-14-2002, 12:33 PM
Well, right off the bat, one turns the hip all the way around and one doesn't.

The front kick isn't as range specific as the side kick is, especially if you are talking about kick off the front leg. And it also allows you to step into your target without turning your hip around.

That said, the side kick gets allot of power since it turn that hip all the way around.

JWT

Ray Pina
01-14-2002, 01:11 PM
Facing off:

He attacks with a right, I cut the angle to my right and shiled with cross hands (my left forearm outside my right which is backing it up for support, making a nice X in front of my face/chin/throat. The bottom of the X is tight though, not a big gap.

When we clash, punch to shield, I pull the attacking energy down and away with my left and back fist his face (where jaw bones meet) or his left arm if he followd through. While passing by, I side kick his legs out, his knees, from the side. It's all done quickly, and the kick is tight, almost kicking down, stomping.

This is actually the first Ba Gua palm in action. The only time I really side kick, when passing through the outside gate. I like to keep it close, real close, and tight.

fa_jing
01-14-2002, 02:59 PM
E-fist: Yeah, that reminds me, sometimes you want to side kick cause the angle of the foot is perpendicular to the knee joint. The oblique kick works in this fashion too. I assume you don't bother to pivot your base leg.

JWT - I remember you saying you like the rear-leg side kick. So what angle or angles do you use for your base foot?

-FJ

Wu Wei
01-14-2002, 03:05 PM
How high does everyone tend to kick when practising their high kicks?

Let's say that straight out side ways is '0 degrees' and kicking strait up(the roof) is '90 degrees'. How high does everyone here tend to kick?

I think mine tends to be around 40 to 45 degrees. I feel that it's pathetic but logically that's enough to kick most people in the head, since I have long legs and a tall body.

JWTAYLOR
01-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Both feet/legs will begin at a 45% angle to the target. My back leg will push off and pivot forward, with my toes/knees pointing toward the target. Once my back knee passes beyond my front(now rear and base leg) I will begin to turn the standing leg until, at the point of impact, the heel of my standing leg will be facing the target.

That's a rear leg step through side/knife edge kick. I don't really do the kick where you lead with your heel except in point sparring matches. I lead with the knee.

JWT

Jimbo
01-14-2002, 04:54 PM
The side kick has always been my favorite kick.
As far as the base leg during execution, when I do the side kick low, my base leg is always slightly bent at the knee, lowering the center of gravity and aiding in power. The standing foot can be either facing 180 degrees away from the kick or about 130 degrees away. If the base foot is only about 90 degrees pointed away from the kick's direction it's easier to lose power, reach, and balance.

If I do the side kick a little higher, the base knee will correspondingly become a little straighter. I basically never use a high side kick yet, even in sparring, but I do them in practice. In a high side kick the base leg is best kept straight and the foot pointing away from the kick for better thrust and balance. If it's targeted at the torso, the base knee can be slightly bent or straight, depending.

I notice although most people (non-Wushu) who do this kick extend the outside blade of the foot in performance, during actual sparring most use the bottom of heel or flat of foot to the body. The knife edge of foot seems more important and easy in actual application on low kicks or kick-blocks against the legs, at least for myself.

Jim

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-14-2002, 05:37 PM
fj . .. yeah .. 90 degrees from the kick. i'd return to a horse stance if i return my kicking foot to the starting postion. the only time i turn my supporting leg is if i'm kicking above the waist, and that is only done while practicing at home. if sifu catches a newbie kicking above the waist they'll be sparring a dragon next and it won't be plesant. i'm at the point where i'm actually allowed to experiment a little more, but sifu still frowns on them and it's just been beaten in my head not to risk it.

when kicking to the groin and lower i tend to sink into the kick rather than turning on my base foot. i'm also going for more drive through than snap to anything lower than the groin. i get more stability and power out of low sks this way, but that's probably because it's the way i do them.

now if im doing a sidekick off my back leg it probably rotates a bit, but i rarely do these on anything but a bag so i haven't realy paid attention.

i have messed around with differant degrees of roation to add power into side and thia kicks, but i find i get the best kick by simply letting my supporting foot do what it wants. if it rotates out of one position using one kick i let it . ... if it feels good right where it's at i let it be.

Paul
01-14-2002, 05:50 PM
they'll be sparring a dragon next

what's a dragon?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-14-2002, 05:59 PM
advanced student.