PDA

View Full Version : Being a Man and Being a Fool

Mr Nunchaku
01-10-2002, 09:45 PM
There is a fine line between the two.

This story happened a long time ago, before I even took tae kwon do. They were learning about hap ki do. One black belt gets the other in a head lock. You are supposed to press his head down and push into his neck. And of course you stop when he taps.

Well this guy refused to tap. The guy asked if he was hurting him and he just said,"uh uh". Finally the first guy stops the head lock and the other is gagging. It turns out that his throat swelled up and he couldn't breath. They rushed him to the ER and he had to have a tube stuck down his throat.

The moral of the story...Don't be macho. Don't think you have to be a man. My head master put it this way, "If you tap out early we will not say anything. If you don't tap at all and get hurt we will laugh at you for years to come." And sure enough this happened years ago and when he told this story yesterday people started laughing. But it is actually no laughing matter. Don't try to be a hero when all it really is is just foolishness.

The reason I bring this up is because today in TKD the instructor told everybody to get a quick drink of water. I looked around and thought, "these guys are pathetic, I'm gonna sit right here and not get a drink at all." My instructor comes up to me and tells me to go get a drink, and you do what he says so I did. There was no reason for me to think that. If you are hot then the worst thing to do is NOT drink water.

prana
01-10-2002, 09:59 PM
dont drink cold water :D

no truly, even when you think you are the best, there is always someone better than you, maybe not now, but in the near future. Nice advice, Mr Nunchaku :)

Mr Nunchaku
01-10-2002, 10:01 PM
It's funny you mention cold water. Should you really not drink cold water in the middle of training? Because I had always thought our water fountain was broken due to the fact that it always gives room temp. water.

prana
01-10-2002, 10:04 PM
heheh I dont know the technical issues of it, but in both yoga and in KungFu, all my teachers have said to stay away from drinking cold water. One discourse writes, it takes away your bodies natural resources. Another grandmaster gave an example of cold water on a hot pan, and he said TssssSSSSsssSSSSssSSS !! ahahah but being of eastern origin, I just laffed and accepted it, I still dont know why.

Sorry, my ice cream is dripping all over :D AHAHAHA :p :p :p :D

SevenStar
01-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Cold water is absorbed by the body slightly faster than warm water. From what I've heard, people tend to indulge more when the water is cold, and as we well know, drinking to much during exercise is not good.

SevenStar
01-10-2002, 10:41 PM
The cold water on a hot pan is (at least my guess) is that the cold water will cool you down faster, which is not what you want during exercise.

diego
01-10-2002, 10:42 PM
hang ya nuts off a chiar with a screwdriver just like bllaaaam....

Mr Nunchaku
01-10-2002, 10:42 PM
So is it ok for it to be cold and simply not drink too much in the middle of exercise? When I say not to much I mean just a couple of sips.

diego
01-10-2002, 10:43 PM
SO WE WONT HAVE ANY FUTURE MISHAPS:p

joedoe
01-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Actually, I was told that your body absorbs water better if it is close to body temperature. If it is hot, the body has to cool it and if it is cold, the body has to warm it.

That is what I had heard anyway.

prana
01-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Nunchaku

No cold foods wotsoever :D anytime, wheter training or not. Always spins people out when I ask for a cup of hot water here, people give weird looks. Dang Yellow skins ! ahahaha

Some of these guys are funny :) :p Yeah sometimes when I eat ice-cream, I can hear it go TssSSSsss and then all that gas build up and then it goes PoooOOOOT! If you cant get this, it means you havent been training hard enough, get back to work lazy ones ! ahahah

ahahahh see signature :D

SanHeChuan
01-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Ok, well now back to the topic at hand!

I know a guy who was like a black belt in shoto khan and Aikido, any way him and his friend (a kung fu guy) are challenged in a "friendly" by a local BJJ instructor, (when they get their they basically just get to participate in a beginners class, my self included, but that beside the point) anyway the Aikido guy is all like (I’m a badass) I’m not going to tap out, I’m gonna make them break my arm, and sure enough he's wrestling with the instructor when he gets put into and arm bar and he doesn't tap out until he hears a snap, or crack or some **** from his elbow. His arm is still ****ed up!

the kung fu guy did like sparr with the guy latter though, the aikido guy, well was TOO ****ed up.

GreyMystik
01-10-2002, 11:25 PM
JoeDoe i heard the same thing. if you actually drink cool water, you will burn more calories (it's not effective weight loss, it's only like a couple hundred per year, people!) because the body has to heat it up to absorb it effectively

Ryu
01-10-2002, 11:30 PM
In my BJJ dojo days, I actually snapped the ligaments in my arm because I didn't tap to an armlock for "macho reasons".
I got scolded :D

From then on I tapped! :D

Ryu

Satanachia
01-10-2002, 11:48 PM
In class,me and my friend were doing chin na, and our teacher said, once you got the hang of it, you can try to work some resistance in their and see what its like when the person resisting tries to stop you from actually applying the technique.

So i'm pushing against, my friend, and he's resisting, so i start pushing a little more, and he's still standing there resisting, so i push a teency bit more and *pop*, his knee came out.

Moral: When resisting, don't bother trying to resist to the point where you dislocate a joint.

Mr Nunchaku
01-11-2002, 12:09 AM
ouch! Great stories guys, in fact this gives me an idea for another topic.

brucelee2
01-11-2002, 12:25 AM
I could be wrong but I think the reason cold water is bad is that it 'dims' your inner fire/chi/life force- that is, energy is wasted to make the water warm, like your body, so it can be used.

fa_jing
01-11-2002, 04:13 PM
My dad used to train TKD. The instructor did one of those leg sweeps where you're behind someone and swing your leg down and back. Instructor says relax, Pops decide to see what would happen if he resisted. He found out - completely ruptured ACL.

-FJ