PDA

View Full Version : Question about Wing Chun's straight blast

Ryu
01-10-2002, 11:24 PM
Most of you know that I don't really like to "straight blast" (at least the running forward thing doesn't seem to work for me like I'd want it to)

But I was wondering how you guys make it work for you. Please give details of the WC/WT way of blasting.

Take care,
Ryu

Martial Joe
01-11-2002, 12:00 AM
The footwork and the stance...

Learn some WC foot work and the WC "straight blast" will be easier to do.You will understand it more...

Martial Joe
01-11-2002, 12:01 AM
BTW...dont hinge your elbow...ouchy~!!

KnightSabre
01-11-2002, 01:38 AM
We do the straightblast in the JKD way.
Kind of like Vitor Belfort did it using jab, crosses instead of the wing chun type punch.

Sharky
01-11-2002, 03:50 AM
do NOT use it as an opening move. in fact if a person is using chain punches from teh off i think it is safe to say that they are quite low level wing chun.

i only ever used it once i was on the oppenents outside gate and had control over them - and even then i'd rather take em down properly.

i think it is far too overused, and am not such a great fan either.

scotty1
01-11-2002, 06:35 AM
this might seem like a weird question, but would you recommend training in Wing Chun? I mean, you did it for 2.5 years right?
I'd be interested to know your opinion. I'm going to Asia soon and I know there are Wing Chun schools in Hong Kong.

Thanks.

Sharky
01-11-2002, 06:46 AM
...it depends ont eh school, and what you are looking for. unfortunately, many schools seem to have lost the essence of what wing chun is, imo, a FIGHTING ART. i ahve been to schools where there are many skilled WING CHUN practitioners, but they were that skilled as FIGHTERS. this is unfortunate imo, but you have to see what you want, and what the schools are offereing. if you found a GOOD wing chun school that FIGHTS then :o go for it! Wing chun is a formidable street fighting art. However i believe it's ground work needs to be supplemented with a grappling style for one to be an effective at all ranges, but that depends again on what you want, and what is available.

for me, i wanted to gain fighting skills and NOTHING ELSE really, i just wanted to know how to kick ass. maybe this will change in the future.i can't presently train at a wing chun school near here, and so i box now, and i love it so much. my progression as a fighter has accelerated exponentially yo.

anyway i hope i haven't ****ed anyone off.

oh i did it for more like 2 years ;)

TjD
01-11-2002, 06:53 AM
dont really use it... if its gonna take 10 head shots for me to put a guy out; im doing something wrong :)

i'd rather hit him once, then throw a turning punch in there; then grab and drop him - or run :)

peace
travis

Sharky
01-11-2002, 06:57 AM
exactly

scotty1
01-11-2002, 07:20 AM
"for me, i wanted to gain fighting skills and NOTHING ELSE really, i just wanted to know how to kick ass."

So do you think you'd have got that from a fighting WC school?

Sharky
01-11-2002, 07:24 AM
not as quickly as you would with MT/boxing etc - wing chun is NOT not for the ring, but for the street. it will take longer, but if you found a GOOD wing chun school, then yes, but i haven't seen many.

make sure they spar, hard.

Cipher
01-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Chain punching can be very devastating if done correct. It is very hard to defend from a barrage of super fast punches. Of course not a cure all but still very effective.

I would never rely on one shot to KO or even to stun someone, there are just too many variables that could happen and your one shot hit could mean your butt on the ground. Now, a barrage of punches followed by a more powerful punch, brake or slam would work nice. You have to disrupt their system and then this will open them up even more.

old jong
01-11-2002, 08:10 AM
The "straight blast" is a JKD thing! Why not take it a punch at the times And make them count?
I think only short sequences of two or three punches can have a chance of being effective.Long "blasts" can only be intimidating to untrained and beginners. Of course it is only my opinion!;)

Cipher
01-11-2002, 08:31 AM
You should allways train doing it in different intervals, if you connect in the first 1 or 2 punches then it can open them up. Those that have trained in Wing Chun will know this. When you train and spar with people in class use the time to try out different methods, when you pratice in class your goal should not be to see how many times you can hit the other person but to perfect you fighting and learn more about what your good with.

Old Jong,
To quote myself "Chain punching can be very devastating if done correct. "

old jong
01-11-2002, 08:59 AM
"If" done correct! That "if" is getting even more crucial in a real fight as opposed to training. I know many likes to see that as wing chun's machine gun or something and relies on it a little too much. A skilled opponent can easily use it against you if you are too machine like!
Even if it looks so impressive in demos!...Against willing students!
I don't say it is no good at all. But my advise is : Don't miss on the first try or the other guy will wait for the second to nail you!

TjD
01-11-2002, 09:16 AM
my thing is, if i can be getting that many hits in, im going to want them to be better ones than chain punches :)

peace
travis

Sharky
01-11-2002, 09:17 AM
i think the problem is you have to have amazing footwork, i essence and in reality for it to work. none of that foot dragging nonsense. i don't like the chain punch really, on second thoughts. i never use it anymore. i do shadow box with chains though, and play on my wallbag. but there are HARDER ways to punch that are just as fast.

Cipher
01-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by old jong
"If" done correct! That "if" is getting even more crucial in a real fight as opposed to training. I know many likes to see that as wing chun's machine gun or something and relies on it a little too much. A skilled opponent can easily use it against you if you are too machine like!
Even if it looks so impressive in demos!...Against willing students!
I don't say it is no good at all. But my advise is : Don't miss on the first try or the other guy will wait for the second to nail you!

What I mean by if done correct is more like, make sure you have practiced it and used it bofore you depend on it, I would never depend on any single technique to fight with. Like you said it is crucial in a fight so make sure it is natural to you. Some things just don't work for some people. I have never seen a demo of it other than what I have trainned with is it an impressive thing to see?

I agree on your last statement too, if you don't hit then and your just flailing in the air then all they have to do is get on your side and nail you, a simple side step with tung sou and enter can mess up chain punches. As any other technique goes timing and how natural it is will make a huge difference.

red5angel
01-11-2002, 12:38 PM
In my class, the theory goes, that if you hit a guy 2-3 times in the head with a chain punch, and he doesnt go down, you are doing it the wrong way. A few o fthe earlier sifu in my specific lineage found that it was effective as a tool, if not used as an opening (you need to get them open first, which means getting control), and if you were working it right, two-three hits would do the job. Its a good tool if used right, its not abig IF really just recquires proper training.
I dont even know if I could describe how the school I am at now teaches it differently, but they do, and mine has grown more powerful ina relatively short time.
I would say this though, as simple as it may look, I think it is definitly not a beginners tool.

BeiKongHui
01-11-2002, 01:12 PM
What's a Wing Chun straight blast? Who fights with chain punches any way? Thought they were more of a training method myself. JKD masquerading as Wing Chun I guess.

Nichiren
01-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Whats wrong with chainpunches? I think it is a "safe" reaction if you are uncertain of the quality of the guy in front of you. Just fire away because the are an excellent defense at the same time... Of course you are moving towards the guy and will get into a better range for e.g. elbows eventually.

LEGEND
01-11-2002, 02:03 PM
scotty...do some boxing kid!

shaolinboxer
01-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Excuse me if I make a statement in ignorance, but one thing my boxing experience taught me was that to get strikes to land they must change their angle of approach. If I try to strike A, then the natural reaction of my opponent will be to cover up or be prepared for another strike to A.

How then does the straight blaster compensate for this?

Zhuge Liang
01-11-2002, 03:12 PM
I agree with some of the guys above. I don't think it should be used as an opening. In fact, I don't believe that it should really be consciously "used" at all.

I think what a lot of people think of when they think of "straight blast" or "chain punches" is someone doing machine gun like punches while charging into the opponent. This will only be effective if the opponent is afraid and gets intimidated by the flurry that's coming in. If instead the opponent stands their ground and engages you, I don't think it will easily work.

I think that chain punching should be a result of circumstance. That is, you don't really ever decide to do "chain punches." It's not like you flip a switch, chain punch on, then flip the switch again, chain punch off. If it ever happens, it happens naturally. To elaborate, there is a Wing Chun idiom "Fong Hong Jik Chong", which roughly translates to "If there is an opening, penetrate." I believe chain punching is a result of Fong Hong Jik Chong. That is, when you are fighting, and you sense an opening, you automatically penetrate (say, with a punch). If there continues to be an opening, you continue penetrating with another punch, and so on and so on, until either the opponent drops, or opening is no longer there (in which case, you do something else).

Zhuge Liang

fa_jing
01-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Funny, I've been training WC almost 3 years, this is the first I've heard of the "straight blast" applying to WC. I'm pretty sure this is a JKD term. We do have a lead punch, used much like a boxer's jab, maybe thrown straighter and with a little more umph on average. One does not always go straight in and while the lead punch to the head might be the most common option for this, it is a plurality not a majority of the occasions. There are many other ways to enter, besides the fact that expressing WC in a traditional manner you're probably reacting to your opponent's attack. Of course, the JKD adage applies here: "Taking advantage of your opponent doing nothing" you would hit first.

Since someone mentioned chain punches, these are not a fighting strategy IMO, rather a training method to develop speed and put the idea in your head that you need to keep punching, one punch is not going to do the trick. These are only effective if the opponent is putting up no defense. Nice if you have such an advantage, I've never found myself in that situation.

-FJ

-FJ

Tongue_of_Colibob
01-11-2002, 03:35 PM
If WC chain punches a considered low level wing chun, than consider me as low as they get.....

red5angel
01-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Good explanation Zhuge Liang, I would like to add to it as well. I do believe that all actions in combat should happen naturally, the idea that you stop thinking and start doing.
Shaolinboxer, is the idea of 2nd power familiar to you? the idea is that, in WC, you do not necessarily have to withdraw to attack again. Although that would be with the same hand, you also use short power. If the "chain Punch" is delivered correctly and at the right time, then you should be able to deliver a few before your opponent can react properly, this is the idea anyway. The short power is why it may seem to be less powerful then a long form punch, and in most cases it is, but with a good WC person, it should only take two-three of these to down an opponent, if only temporarily.
I myself would only use one if the opening is wide, and I have control of my opponent. for example, when my sifu does this, his fist go no ****her back then his wrist, but the blows are powerful that I know he could give my bell a good ringing.
this is why I consider (and a lot of WC guys may disagree) that the "chain punch" is an advanced technique of WC. It is easy to see and understand but hard to do. Again, My sifu has a powerful short punch, mine is not nearly as powerful, and I outweigh him by a good 40 lbs or so.

LEGEND
01-11-2002, 05:42 PM
WING CHUN does not have a straight blast! Straight blast is a JKD stragedy! And it gets more confusing...

Regarding chain punching...my former sifu used it to open me up...once I started to cover up or block or parry he would trap and finish me with knees or straight punch or others...so wing chunners use the chain punching to open peeps up!

Orig JKD isn't a straight blast one powerful punch???

JKD CONCEPT uses a straight blast( running chain punching attackt ) to cause the opponent to cover up and finish with knees and headbutts...