PDA

View Full Version : Hung gar,hung kuen,hung ga

10-20-2000, 12:19 AM
i saw these Three names on a poster and wondered
if they are the same Style but different Spelling ? if i am Right Hung gar and Hung ga Means The same Hung Family(a friend of mine Said this He Speaks Chinese) And hung Kuen Means Fist of hung

illusionfist
10-20-2000, 01:08 AM
Hung Gar and Hung Ga are just phonetical differences and if i am not mistaken, relatively new terms. I believe Hung Kuen is the older version of the system name. I could be wrong on this though.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tiet_que
10-20-2000, 02:37 AM
They are all the same..

Hung Ga/Gar -> Hung Family..
Hung Kuen -> Hung Fist..

Tiet Que

Paul Skrypichayko
10-20-2000, 03:14 AM
This might help people in the future when it comes to confusion with names.

Hung Ga/Hung Gar is Cantonese for "hung family" kung fu. Hong Jia is the Mandarin version.

Hung Kuen/Hung Kyuhn is Cantonese for "hung fist". Hong Quan/Hong Chuan is the Mandarin version.

Illusionfist is correct and incorrect by saying that these are new terms. At the time of Hung Hei Guen and Gee Sim, the art was called Nam Siu Lam/Nan Shao Lin (southern shaolin). When they ran into troubles with the Qing/Ching empire, they changed the name to Hung Gar/Hung Kuen.

In the Chinese martial arts community, everyone will know what Hung Gar means, but people who are not familiar with martial arts will usually only understand the terms hung kuen, nam kuen, and nam siu lam/nam siu lum.

For the last 200 years, Nam Kuen/Nan Quan (southern fist) has been the popular term for the style, but with the advent of performance wushu in the People's Republic of China (PRC) in the early 1950's, traditional martial artists have tried to avoid confusion by reverting back to the older names "hung gar" and "hung kuen".

There is also the "official" name for the style, but nobody seems to use it nowaday

Je Lei Sifu
10-20-2000, 05:18 AM
In Hong Kong the term that is more recognized, is Hung Kuen. But it is also proper to say Hung Ga Kuen.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

WongFeHung
10-21-2000, 01:26 AM
Hung Ga, or Siu Lum hung Kuen, also I was told that an even older term was Fut Ga Lo Hawn Kuen We call it Hung Ga and Siu Lum Hung Kuen is on our shirts and banners

Mo Ying
11-02-2000, 05:00 AM
Just for info:

Performance Wu Shu or Contemporary Wu Shu only came into being a few years after the cultural revolution ended around 1975/1976.