PDA

View Full Version : seizing hands, do you practise it?

10-20-2000, 02:12 AM
i thought i would start a new topis on seizing hands and related skills.
do you southern or northern styles practise in class or is it taught to you at advance levels of kung fu.
i show the seizing skill where it is the form but do not teach seizing yet in class. the reason for this is a student has to under go seizing skill training of finger,hands,foreams,shoulders. then learn energy/chi flow and dim ma points. playing around seizing people in class can disrupt the students energy and one can become ill. you must learn dit dar medicine and have it avaliable at hand incase a student gets a sprain, fracture, or ligiment and tendon injury.

whats your views on seizing hands? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Shaolin Master
10-20-2000, 03:29 AM
I agree with you,
I show them applications in terms of siezing with respect to their routines/forms but they do not practise until they are at intermediate to advanced levels(this puts examples of applications into mindset and then they develop their own understanding gradually). There is sufficient training in fundamental excercises (conditioning, Sticking hand type (inc push hand and related ...diff for diff system), Chinna lock releases, etc) required at the beginner level before going into in depth training of seizing locking and the rest. Students must build the necessary understanding of power, resistance, conditioning, sensitivity, and the rest. Slowly then introduced to such features. I guess you could put it as training primary applications at fundamental (block hit type scenes), secondary (counters, grab Hits), tertiary (Seizing Locks) then vital points, breaking, suspending and the rest....etc. It is very dependent on the system though.
Die Da Jiou (Dit Da Jow) should always be there anyway.
Also teaching of fundamental chinese medicine as we do assists students.

Thats us fierce tiger til later

Shi Chan Long

10-20-2000, 03:57 AM
shaolin sifu- thanks for your post.

thats so true,it is an art in itself maybe police should learn this stuff. but probably havent got much time to train.
you have always got good replies.

talk later.
peace

Dreamer
11-06-2000, 12:59 AM
...one of the most important aspects as I've learned it is OU-LOU-TSAI (hook-grapple-pluck).
Combined with whatever you feel is appropriate.
Throws, body-blows, punches, kicks whatever.
Once you've done the OU-LOU you have control over the opponents arm and after the TSAI you have almost complete control over the body.

Very important and practised early on.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

5thBrother
03-13-2003, 08:09 AM
what kind of kum la sao do u have in ur art.. pak mei.. clf .. etc :)