PDA

View Full Version : Kobudo weapons at shaolin?

Shaolindynasty
01-11-2002, 11:30 AM
I am interested in the similarities of Kobudo and shaolin weapons. For instance what are the differences between the Shaolin crutch and the tonfa. Also I saw on the dragons of the oreint video that they practice the sickle at shaolin, what are the differences between their sickle and the okinawan kama? Do they practice the sai at shaolin now? I know there used to be a similar weapom used in alot of southern shaolin styles so is there any use of it at song shan?

SanHeChuan
01-11-2002, 09:44 PM
what about nunchaku?

Shaolindynasty
01-12-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah I saw pictures of monks practiceing nunchuks. Did they add these more recently? I think I remeber hearing that they added nunchuks more recent after Bruce lee made them popular. I am pretty interested in finding out more about these weapons does anybody know

Shaolindynasty
01-13-2002, 01:12 PM
Gene is holdin out on us. He knows about this stuff, so of it it was in his "damo cane" article in the last issue. You can have the weekend off, but I expect to hear about it on Monday. You know we own you since we buy your magazine and are members of this free forum-so get to work!:cool:

joedoe
01-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Sai is not a new weapon to Shaolin - our style has used it for a long time. However, our style is a Southern Shaolin style so I can't speak for Songshan.

Shaolindynasty
01-13-2002, 08:56 PM
My sifu larned sai from his kungfu teacher. Our system is long/ medium range though. I wonder if the sai was also practiced in song shan. I read in a Ngo Cho Kun book that mainly only arts from Fukein practiced sai.

joedoe
01-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Maybe. I am a pathetic MA historian :)

GeneChing
01-14-2002, 11:48 AM
ShaolinDynasty - you know I'm off the forum on weekends...:)

As for the kobudo weapons, there are similar version practiced at shaolin and I've been going through them piece by piece. I did that Damo cane article drawing some similarities between buffalo horn sticks and tonfa. I also did one on nunchuks back in Jan/Feb 2001. Did one on sai in our Jul/Aug 2001. Still gathering data on the kama. If you want to include oar - you'll have to wait - I haven't seen any oars at shaolin. It's pretty land bound. And bo, well, that one is kind of obvious...

Aramus
01-15-2002, 11:47 AM
The Irish used Sickle weapons, tonfa like weapons, scythe and such in little skirmishes/battles and such. However, unlike the eastern counter part warrirors, not much has ever been written. Picture a bunch of farmers riding up to the guard then letting loose with the scythe, sickle, threshing weapons and such...maybe even a hoe.

An old friend of mine can trace his ancestors to an old Irish clan where they actually taught weapons fighting. There is some oral history there....

Peace.

GeneChing
01-16-2002, 12:15 PM
... but Aramus, I'd be interested in the tonfa-like weapon you mention. That one is somewhat problematic since it's not a universal farm implement. Okinawans always default to the mill whell handle or thresher story, but the Chinese say it was a crutch. What did the Irish say?
The cross cultural aspect of all of this was my main thrust with these articles. So many CMA people don't look outside to find cultural parallels. European weapons are very well documented and very diverse when you really look at some of their innovations. When you find those sorts of parallels, it is so affirming.