PDA

View Full Version : IMA Teaching

Ka
01-11-2002, 06:54 PM
The saying Those who can do, those who can't,teach.Is not one I particularly beleive in however in chatting with a CMC practitioner the other day I was a bit puzzled to hear him express his desire to become a teacher of Tai Chi.I had always beleived that for those who are truly passionate about IMA there are two main categories of employment,1 Health Related Industries,2Combat Related Industries.Teaching was seen as something to do on the side as one got older.Certianly before I came to Sydney all the IMA teachers I had met were 50+ and with a wealth of life experience behind them.Often only turning to teaching after people had expressed desire to learn off them.How does everyone feel about (in a subject as complex as IMA) young students of 5-6 yrs study going straight out and setting up a school often to earn tax free dollars?I would like to add that I don't question his skill within his system(he's petty good) but his desire to teach rather then research other areas.

Water Dragon
01-11-2002, 08:00 PM
I'm allowed to take students, I'm only 28. The thing is, I have a network to send them higher up the food chain when they outgrow me. The higher stuff is mostly self study any way.

RickMatz
01-11-2002, 08:06 PM
"Everyone wants to teach tai chi, but no one wants to spend the time to learn it."

-Robert W. Smith, Martial Musings

Ka
01-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Rick great quote,I think that sums up many teachers I have met.I sort of feel that IMA Teachers should aleast be versed with the Healing side of Neijia and have accumulated Life Knowledge.I don't see this present very often.

EARTH DRAGON
01-14-2002, 04:39 PM
I would have to disagree, speaking as a teacher I enjoy sharing what I have learned with students and watching them grow, but remember; It is not only a master who can teach, for I have met many people with far greater skills than me who couldnt properly explinan or relay the information in a way that would be easy to understand if you wernt an advanced practioner. And while age should not be a factor just becuse someone has done it longer doesnt always mean they can do it better!

Ka
01-14-2002, 07:08 PM
Nice points there ED,I agree that People who can "do it" may not be the perfect teacher,and certainly others who may not be masters can transmit the ideas with greater clarity.In regards to the age factor,I am not advocating some sort of age that people must reach before teaching, rather trying to place importance of the experience gained thorough life outside of the MA domain.This does not necessarily depend on age.I guess I am refering to people's background experience's and their reponse's to their enviroment while maturing into adulthood.I can tell you how I looked at the world when I was 20 was totally different to how I looked at the world at 30.Ideally I feel an instuctor in IMA should be able to explain and do. :)

EARTH DRAGON
01-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Ka good point, 15 years ago when I was 20 I had absolutly no desire to show anyone anything, if they wanted to see what I knew I said then attack me, once it was my freind at a house party, he attacked I countered and broke his lamp, felt terrible by my actions and replaced the lamp, but anyhow it wanst until I reached a point in my life where I realized that fighting was the simplest and lowest level of training.I thinbk everone reaches that point sooner or later, I then focused more on internal and medical side of my art and then began to teach. So I dont think its about any general age but the way you feel as your priorities change and your focus is no longer fighting....... however, there is much to be said about learning from a young kid who is teaching you becuse he out ranks you, in a real fight you know he would lose but yet he is teaching you how to defend yourself. I do have a problem with that

Daniel Madar
01-15-2002, 01:45 AM
This brings up an interesting question, one which I see frequently.

Does time or age put into a martial art equal skill?

I say no. I say it for a variety of reasons. It's pretty common in this world to meet people who say "I've been doing martial arts for 15 years..." But in reality, they go to class once a week and never practice. Are they good because of the 15 years of paying lip service?

Or how about studying for 15 years with a bad teacher? It can happen through no one's fault really. You may not know any better when you start off, and may never go and find out because of loyalty to your teacher or apathy. Either way, 15 years is gone, and you suck.

Here's another thing. I have heard two versions of the phrase "Practice makes perfect". This is true, but it is not. A much better saying is "Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect". So, what if you practice everyday, making the same old mistakes? 15 years and you still suck.

One last thing. How many people here can speak a foreign language? Some people can, some people can't. The ability to speak learn a foreign language is based as much on aptitude as practice. With languages like Japanese and Chinese, this is readily apparent when learning the characters. All martial arts require some aptitude, and combining aptitude with correct and diligent practice will blow away "experience" any day in my book.

bamboo_ leaf
01-15-2002, 05:00 AM
“Combining aptitude with correct and diligent practice will blow away "experience" any day in my book.”

Watch it! Some might ask what is correct practice. Others might say that with out “the experience, their understanding of course,” it doesn’t matter what you do as you really never know.

I think as long as you keep working out and refining / defining your practice then this is growth. Be willing to change and adapt as the depth of your training and understanding increases.

What you thought was a high level might only be the starting point of a different understanding. Be clear about what you feel is the way, but still tolerant of other interoperations.

As for teachers and teachings, we can see with many famous teachers their practice really changed as their ability grew with age and understanding.

Some of their students never understood this and fight about who has the real teachings not realizing that they both do.

Daniel Madar
01-15-2002, 02:13 PM
The point is that you should not mistake time spent or claimed to be spent as experience or skill or aptitude. These are separate things. Possession of anyone of them does not guarantee possession of the others.

The reason "experience" is in quotes is that many people simply assume that doing something for a long time equates to having experience and it does not.

01-15-2002, 03:04 PM
I'll be one of those 5-6 year guys opening a school - with my sifu's full approval.

A person who can't handle that should feel free to go anywhere else to study.

shaolinboxer
01-15-2002, 03:22 PM
"I'll be one of those 5-6 year guys opening a school - with my sifu's full approval.

A person who can't handle that should feel free to go anywhere else to study."

They will.

Ka
01-15-2002, 06:10 PM
However gents in relation to Teaching/instruction those that have the highest skill may not be able to transmit those skills,or even want to.I think you would all agree that IMA needs more intergated teaching method's then simply copying there Teachers movements.Once again I reiterate that I feel that "life experience " outside of the MA domain can only help a teacher to regcognize indivual needs of his students in the diverse teaching of IMA.A point on progession within IMA I agree with ED that it makes sense given the strong health/Healing qualities of IMA that Teachers would turn to or persue the Health side.Ofcause time spent and other claims (lineage)even don't equate to skill.Got to agree with BL that growth/progession through dilligent practise and application of priciples creates pharses in teaching methods and their understanding.DM I feel people can take your point to the other extreme and at the age of 20 with several years of concentrated practise they know all and can teach.Then there is the point of earning tax free dollars,While I feel its hard to price out the teaching of IMA,some of the asking prices of tutition (just in a park) are over the top down here.

I think this may be leading to a "what do you want out of IMA" discussion,anyway cheers for the points.

01-15-2002, 09:06 PM
As my teacher says about real martial artists, "when you TOUCH HANDS you KNOW".

shaolinboxer
01-16-2002, 08:26 AM
So all I have to do is not touch your hands and I'll be safe ;)?

01-16-2002, 07:52 PM
No, all you have to do is stick to the Internet :p.

I'll be teaching next fall.