PDA

View Full Version : Protein

Sharky
01-11-2002, 08:02 PM
Is eating a tin of tuna (sort of er 150-200g weight) enough protein to supplement an average diet? I know it's a difficult question cos everyone is different, but i just don't want lack of protein to be a bottleneck in my muscle growth.

what " abonormal " things do you eat, that " normal " people don't eat? i don't think i could handle raw eggs. protein shakes are too pricey for me. i eat well. i'm trying to eat more often than usual now, as i'm trying to put on some weight.

anyway any advice on protein and/or putting on weight would be great cheers ;)

IronFist
01-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Is eating a tin of tuna (sort of er 150-200g weight) enough protein to supplement an average diet?

Um, if cans of tuna where you live are the same size as cans of tuna where I live, then it's a good supplement for one meal's worth of protein. I assume you mean the cans that are like an inch or so high and like 3 or 4 inches across, right?

One thing you might want to consider, if buying the same sized cans of pink salmon instead of tuna. Tuna has high levels of mercury which is bad for you. I mean, a can a week is alright, but 3 cans of tuna per day every day would be a dangerous level of mercury. The down side? Pink salmon is about 30 to 40 cents more per can. The up side? IMO it tastes better.

but i just don't want lack of protein to be a bottleneck in my muscle growth.

Are you trying to build muscle? Eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, per day.

what " abonormal " things do you eat, that " normal " people don't eat?

I don't do it, but I know some BB's who used to drink the legendary "tuna shakes" before protein shakes were invented. Mmmm... a fish flavored drink :D I guess they got tired of eating it or something.

i don't think i could handle raw eggs. protein shakes are too pricey for me. i eat well. i'm trying to eat more often than usual now, as i'm trying to put on some weight.

Don't eat raw eggs. People used to throw them in their home made protein shakes. If you want an egg, just cook it :) Protein shakes can be expensive, I agree. Many don't taste good, either, and you don't know until you buy the whole tub. One company to consider, however, is Optimum Nutrition. Their protein powder is around US$12 for 2lbs, whereas most other companies are US$30 for 2lbs. Another company that I have only heard good things about is www.proteinfactory.com. They even let you make your own blend! Check them out, cheap prices, incredible selection, and good quality (again, only from what I've heard).

anyway any advice on protein and/or putting on weight would be great cheers

To put on weight you gotta eat lots of calories. You've heard (read) my calorie rants before, I'm sure :) What body type are you?

Cheers for helping me out with my song. Now we're even. Haha :P

Iron

Paul
01-12-2002, 12:17 AM
there's always lowfat cottage cheese. lots of protein along with some carbs.

lowsweep
01-12-2002, 10:33 AM
I have 2 cans of tuna a day (not so bad if you put some olive oil and lemon in it), eggs (7-8 grams of protein per egg) and lots and lots of cottage cheese (about 15 grams in a half cup). Make sure you get plenty of carbs and some extra calories when you are lifting and you should be in pretty good shape. Your body can absorb about 30-35 grams of protein every 3 hours, anything more is not doing much. Mke sure you get lots of carbs though, otherwise your body will use the protein for energy instead od building musce. Heres a link (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6228&highlight=my+advice+from+an+expowerlifter) to the best advice on lifting I have ever seen. Good luck, adam

DelicateSound
01-12-2002, 01:07 PM
If you're after protein muscle build up - I've posted a great natural protein shake on here. No Creatine or anything. It's good and pretty cheap. Posted under "Natural Protein Drink"

Also, To avoid putting on fat - eat 5-6 small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones. This lets the body harness fat for energy much more effectively.

IronFist
01-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Also, To avoid putting on fat - eat 5-6 small meals a day, rather than 3 big ones. This lets the body harness fat for energy much more effectively.

Yes. But, you can't expect to put on significant muscle mass without also adding some fat. So, the goal is just to keep the fat added on to a minimum. Fat can always be dieted off later. I'm just letting anyone who doesn't know that it's very very hard to add a decent amount of muscle without adding fat as well, so don't think you're not progressing if you see your bodyfat increasing.

Iron

DelicateSound
01-13-2002, 11:29 AM
Oops - Cheers IronFist - I didn't quite make myself clear!

When I'm bulking up I do put on some fat. [like now!]

I eat 5-6 small meals when I'm not bulking up, I like to keep toned so I can stare at my 6-pack in the mirror :D

IronFist
01-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Tuna shakes for everyone!!!

:D

Iron