PDA

View Full Version : Royal Kung fu system

Indriidae
01-12-2002, 02:40 PM
What style?

DelicateSound
01-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Never even heard of it. It is Northern? Southern?

I know the Queen can pull off some pretty good Dim Mak. No wait, that's just the art of being Dim........

Royal Dragon
01-12-2002, 05:42 PM
It's any style or system invented by, practiced by or perfected by one of China's Royal familys. Sometimes the systems of thier body gaurds are also included.

In my system's case the Chao family. Thy were the rulers of the Sung dynasty (960 Ad.-1279 AD.)

Some Royal styles include:

North and South Tai Tzu Chang Chuan (See my site for more info)

Southern Peying Mantis- style of the Ming's Ruling Family Originally descended from Jook Lum Temple

Bagua Zhang - Taught to the Manchurian Emperor, but most noteably to his body gaurds. Originated by Dong Hiechuan who was originally a servant in the Royal house hold, but ventually became the chief Martial master.

Yang style Taji Quan. - Taught to the Ching dynasty's Royal family (Like Bagua). Developed by Yang Lu Shan from skills learned at Chen villiage

The list goes on, and many of today's styles are descended from Royalty. It means little, other than bragging rights, and being cool.

Some say the "Royal" styles are stronger because the Royal family had more resources for research, but often the system was actually improved AFTER it left the Royal family.

North Mantis is an example of this. Many feel North Mantis is an improvement on Tai Tzu because its founder was a Tai Tzu Master before inventing North Mantis. He suposedly tested and experimented untill his Mantis style beat everybody around. As the story goes, he took his Tai Tzu base (and that of 17 other styles he either knew well or actually mastered) and improved thier technology by combining it with stuff he came up with himself after watching Preying Mantis bugs fighting.

Personally, from what I see, it could go either way. North Mantis has some good things that "I" feel are improvements on our Northern system, but there are other things I think we are better at. I guess it all hinges on what works best for the individual. Some Tai Tzu lines include Mantis forms in thier curriculem.

Royal Dragon

JF Springer
01-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Kwongsai Jook Lum Tong Long is not, nor ever been, a "Royal" art as you have defined it and improperly ascribed to JL Tong Long.

The Hakka have been wanderers for centuries and they are historically an agrarian based culture, farmers, manual labor intensive occupations, etc. Not the high end of society typically consulted and employed by the Royal Court. The Hakka were/are hardly the type or class of people that the Royal Court of any Empire would have associated with.

For that matter, the Hakka have traditionally had little to no real in depth cultural exchange or interaction with those not Hakka. GM Lee-Lien and GM Gin Foon Mark are the first to have broken with the "Hakka and only Hakka" tradition and this opening of the door has only been in place about 3 decades.

The histories are so convoluted that the best anyone can do is simply accept the position of their particular Pai. Ultimately that's all any one who wasn't "there" can do. In reality, it matters little to nothing as the simple truth of the matter is that it all comes down to the hands.

JF Springer
01-13-2002, 03:10 PM
G - I've sent you my response via private E-mail but just so the record reads right: Between the two of us there's only one racist. Look in the mirror if you're confused as to which one of us it is. You "see" racist/elitist because you own it. Accept it, deal with it and move on, my junior.

Indriidae
01-16-2002, 08:57 AM
This system was untraditionalized, and it is southern.

Shaolindynasty
01-16-2002, 12:55 PM
"This system was untraditionalized"

:confused:
What do you mean?

Black Jack
01-16-2002, 02:02 PM
ShaolinDynasty,

I know you speak with Royal every once and awhile so I was hoping if you could help me out.

The old e-mail address I had of his is now not working and we were speaking about a few things on this forum I would like to finish speaking with him about in private.

I left a message for him on his website and I have not got a reply back yet?

Do you have access to his new e-mail address or do you know if he is on Vacation or something????

This is in regards to a "clinic/seminar" project I might be bringing down into our area and I know he has friends who have formal schools.

Thanks

Shaolindynasty
01-16-2002, 02:10 PM
When did you post it on his board? He hasn't been on there for the last couple of days so I would just hold on and wait. He disappears sometimes for a few days he'll be back soon.

I don't have his email address but if you would give me your address I can email you his phone number.

Black Jack
01-16-2002, 02:15 PM
I used to have it but for some reason I can not find it in my files anymore.

The reason I wanted to e-mail him first is because their was some information I wanted to outline to him, it might be easier to remeber that way, to relate to his buddy or whatever.

Here is my e-mail address.

www.express911@earthlink.net

Thanks,

You might be interested in this to,

Shaolindynasty
01-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Check your email. PM me the details on what I'd be interested in.

Indriidae
01-19-2002, 11:47 AM
They used belts and gis.

Royal Dragon
01-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Black Jack,
Royaldragon@netzero.net

The Royaldragon@usa.net went premium, and I'm NOT paying for E-Mail, especially since netzero gives it too me free.

Anyway, drop me a line an I'll send you my phone # so we can talk.

Springer,

The Chao family as well as the Ming's royal family AND that of the Yuan dynasty all ran south and became Hakka when the Manchurians invaded. It's my understanding that South Mantis was the style of the Ming's Royal family, and it makes sense that thier arts would have "gone Haka" when they themselves did.

JF Springer
01-20-2002, 07:57 PM
The Chao family as well as the Ming's royal family AND that of the Yuan dynasty all ran south and became Hakka when the Manchurians invaded. It's my understanding that South Mantis was the style of the Ming's Royal family, and it makes sense that thier arts would have "gone Haka" when they themselves did.

*No dispute there. You are confusing a couple of branches of Hakka hand with Kwongsai Jook Lum Tong Long. Jook Lum Tong Long is at best 150 years old. Now you know the time line.

Hakka hands came into the temples, underwent refinement, and eventually emerged 3 or 4 generations back, depending on how you count such things and whose oral history you want to accept.

Take a look at Chu or Chow Gar in comparison to real, authentic Kowngsai Jook Lum Tong Long and you've been around long enough that the difference will be obvious to you.

Try looking at something from the Lee-Lien Sing, Wong Yuk Gong, or Lum Sang lines as being representative of true Kwongsai Jook Lum Tong Long.

If you really have a desire to add one of the primary sets from Jook Lum Tong Long to your curriculum you are welcome to contact me off forum and I'll see what I can do for you.

In speaking with Edgar the other night he indicated that recent developments really had him focused in other areas and he wasn't planning on reintroducing short hand to the overall program.

Royal Dragon
01-20-2002, 09:10 PM
"If you really have a desire to add one of the primary sets from Jook Lum Tong Long to your curriculum you are welcome to contact me off forum and I'll see what I can do for you. "

Reply]

Thank you for the offer, but I have been following the arts for 12 years now, and somewhere along the way I decided it is best to pick one thing and stick to it exclusively. My choice was Chao Family Fist, Specificlly the North and South Tai Tzu Chang Chuan divisions.

At best, I would want to supplement some sticky hands training as that flows good with anything your doing. I am friends with one of Wai Lun Choi's students, and I plan to follow him as he seems to have a detialed eye for martial mechanics, and he is willing to help me with my Tai Tzu practice to boot.

However, next time I'm in Baltimore, I'd love to meet up with you and go for some good Chinese food.

Royal Dragon