PDA

View Full Version : is tea bad for little kids?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2002, 03:17 PM
i'm just curious cause i really have to watch where i sit my tea anymore. if i have it sitting on the computer desk and step outside to smoke a cig i'll come back to my two year old's smiling face and an empty cup. her explanation is simply a mocking "haha . . . all gone."

she really loves the sh!t and i don't even put much sugar in it. it was my fault for giving her small sips on my spoon to start with, but i didn't think she'd start downing whole cups.

should i just make a cup for her occasionally, or is tea not good for little ones?

prana
01-12-2002, 03:20 PM
English tea contains caffeine. Makes him/he pretty wired me thinks :)

wushu chik
01-12-2002, 03:22 PM
My 2 drink a nice hot cup of Jasmine Tea before they go to bed. Slows them down, and warms them up. Then they are ready to snooze for the eve! I don't think it's bad for them. They get iced tea all summer (better than pop). I think moderation is probably the best thing.

If you don't want her drinking your tea...make her own cup with no sugar and dilute it a little to A) Cool it down a little and B) not so much caffine (if that is the kind you drink). But, my personal opinion is...it's much better than Pepsi (don't get me wrong, I am the pepsi QUEEN) or any other pop out there. It shouldn't hurt her at all.

~Wen~

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2002, 03:31 PM
i was thinking the same thing about pop. i figure tea isn't as good as juice, but i don't see how it could be as bad as pop.

wushu chik
01-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Why can't tea be better than juice. Its probably more natural than most the juices on the market!! Pop, well, we wont even go into that one...but most the juices I have bought and drank are good because they are full of sugar, and additaves. If you brew your own tea (with a tea ball) it's better than the prepackaged tea. It's going to have caffine and stuff, but it's WAY more natural than most things you can buy already premade (juice, mixed drinks, pop, etc.)

And plus, if she likes it, don't b!tch!! That's a good thing!!

~Wen~;)

prana
01-12-2002, 03:43 PM
wushu chik, I am going to call you "Vajrayogini" from now on ! :D

I think certain chinese tea is good for your child, in moderation. I do however warn against overly acidic fruit juices into a babies stomach. I have no scientific evidence or backup, but some undeveloped stomachs react sadly to those things.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2002, 03:49 PM
the evidance comes out the other end dude.

KungFuGuy!
01-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Tea stunts growth, it's bad for little kids.
GDA, why do you smoke?

wushu chik
01-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Prana...why are you going to call me that??

GDA...you are very right...

KFG...tea stunts the growth? How so?

Yung Apprentice
01-12-2002, 06:21 PM
Coffee stunts growth. I don't know why, maybe because it has a lot of caffeine. I guess tea would have the same effects too, if it had a lot of caffeine.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-12-2002, 11:51 PM
i have been smoking nearly all my life.

i smoked my first cigerette when i was 6 or 7. by 10 or 11 i was smoking 1/4 to 1/2 pack a day. by 11 or 12 i was smoking non filters.

now i usually smoke 3/4 pack to a whole pack of basic non filters a day . ... but i have been fighting to get down to half a pack for a while and sometimes do it.

i really can't imagine life without them.

tell you what though, if i ever catch my kid with a cigerette i'm busting her a$$ and i don't care if it makes me a hypocryt.

DelicateSound
01-13-2002, 08:01 AM
Scientists say that an adult can have 5 cups of coffee and 12 and 1/2 cups of tea per day, before it becomes BAD.

As for a kid, they really should only have it over 4 years old. I used to steal cups of it off my Dad when I was about 2 and 1/2 though.

As long as there is little sugar, and they only have a couple of cups a day, you should be safe.

Galadriel
01-15-2002, 09:43 AM
Well in Ireland the whole country is addicted to tea!!

They generally start you off when you're quite small and still drink out of those baby bottles. Its mostly milk with a small amount of tea, and the ratio is increased as you get older. It hasn't done me any harm, I'm 1.73m, my sisters 1.80m and my brother is 1.90m.
But what I really loved when I was little and still do is peppermint tea, cold in summer and hot in winter.

BTW, our dog and cat drink tea aswell ;-)

Galadriel

Ray Pina
01-15-2002, 01:14 PM
what's with pop? I haven't heard that used so often in one conversation in my life. Pop?

wushu chik
01-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Sorry EvolutionFist...that's the Southern Influence coming out in me!! POP rocks!!

~Wen~