PDA

View Full Version : BlackTaoist, Moashan,WaterDragon

BAI HE
01-12-2002, 06:37 PM
First off let me say I love and look forward to your posts.
The situation that I am in is that I had left my first CMA school (Bak Hok) and rejoined an AJJ & JMA (Traditional Dojo) due
to career and wife pressures.
I love the AJJ & JMA school, but once I was exposed to the Internal side ( Mee Li Jum, Bak Hok's cotton needle set) nothing has come close to satisfying my physiological feel. I'd walk out of the Bak HokPai kwoon feeling pain free and ten years younger.
I will be moving far away from the JMA & AJJ Dojo and right onto the radar of a school that has Chen Man Ching's (from William C. Chen taught by Alan Shapiro) and Dr. Painter's Ba Gua.
It seems this will be the best I can find in this area.

(1) I'd appreciate your opinion on this mix of internal arts. Are they adversary or complementary if studied simultaneousy?

(2) BlackTaoist and Maoshan, I love how you guys stress that a well conditioned fighter will shuffle the deck of any "Theory Fighter" out there. You guys are on point with that one. Alot of people don't wan't to get poked in the eye with that fact. Alot of 'em have never walked their talk on the mat or in the street. Anywayz, I'd like to hit you up for some advice about the internal and health benefits? You guys never talk about that stuff. Do you feel the changes and benefits health wise that Ba Gua practice proclaims to bring?

(3) I've read Frantzis's book on Internal arts as a primer. What do you guys think of it?

Thanx, Pete.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Peace, and may the one or many Gods spare us, because
our fellow Man created in God's image? He won't hesitate to.....

Water Dragon
01-12-2002, 07:43 PM
First, thanks for the compliment. Remember I'm not much of a free thinker yet. Most of what I say is simply my understanding of my Teachers' teachings.

As far as I know, Sifu Shapiro is not known for having a fighter's school. He is known as a great teacher of the system though, so he will be able to give you that knowledge if you want it. The main problem would be finding other student who share your interest.

Being so close to NYC will be a great help though. Make sure you see Master Chen as often as is feasible. Also take advantage of the Seniors in the area. George Blank is still readily available from what I hear. The man is amazing and has defiantely attained master level. I vote for Sifu Shapiro's school, but then I'm a Chen Head.

In Master Chen's system, Tui Shou is the basis of gloved work. The more conscientiously you work on push hands, the more benefit you will get in the free fighting. Pay just as much attention to the warm ups as the form, that's where the real treasures are ;)

Buddy
01-13-2002, 06:49 AM
Are you moving down to the south shore? If so you're welcome to visit our club in Plymouth. We do Gao style under Luo De Xiu.

Buddy

blacktaoist
01-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Bai He, thank you for the compliment.

BH) I'd like to hit you up for some advice about the internal and health benefits?

BT)The only advice I can give you is don't be a mental slave when learning the internal Martial Arts. No matter what style of the internal Martal Arts you learn, the form must be practical.

You must become a Martial art experimentalist, explore your style fighting methods by practicing with other Martial Artists if you lose, figure out why you lost and find the defenses which will help you the next time. (knowing yourself helps you to know others.)

BH)Do you feel the changes and benefits health wise that Ba Gua practice proclaims to bring?

BT) The practice of BaGuaZhang circle walking will exercise a person entire body. Just practicing the 8 mother palms(Chi Kung circle walking form)will increase a practitioners health and vitality. This form even increase a person endurance even sex endurance. A person just have to invests the time and effort to BaguaZhang practice to attain the great health benefits that is proclaim of this style.

BH)I've read Frantzis's book on Internal arts as a primer. What do you guys think of it?

BT) MY opinion is the information in his book was alright. I feel if you want to learn more practical information on BaGuaZhang Therory and applications Li Zi Ming BAGuaZhang book is better in my viewpoint.

But in all, Frantzis's book have good information on the internal styles of Chinese Martial arts.

Peace practice and live long.

:D

BAI HE
01-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Buddy - I'll be jumping to Pembroke for about 24 months, but I may buy a home more towards Plymouth, either way I'll swing by and check you out. It's been too long (18 years) since I've hit McGrath's for a hot dog and the 80% chance of being sheet on by a seagull on the outdoor benches.

WaterDragon - Thanks for the insight. I'll be watching those warm-ups like a hawk. I agree that CMA stuffs alot of basic conditioning there. When I was with the Bak Hok Kwoon, I noticed the constant posture movements and little things the guys were doing before basics. There's alot there and unlike JMA they don't point it right out to you.

BlackTaoist - Love the site BTW and thanks for the info. The reason I'm concerned with the healing aspects of the internal arts is that my body (at 32) has some chronic problems from previous training and athletic injuries that would most certainly hamper my Martial growth. I'd do fine and have in the street in the past, but against a well trained unfamiliar style maybe I'd fair not a well as I have in the past. So health, internal/external has become a bit more important to me.
That's what I like about your posts. "If you can't bring it, sustain it and walk away when it's over what do you have?"
That's what I get out of your take on MA.
The goal is to endure. I hope that Ba Gua can heal me up, give me some high octane in the tank and get my brain thinking nothing but "Oh crap, there's so much to everything here".
I've heard Ba Gua was that kind of art as well as Mr. Chen's Tai Chi. I think I got the right arts.

Thanks for all you guys responses. I'm sure I'll be picking your brains in the future.

maoshan
01-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Thanks Bai He,

[(1) I'd appreciate your opinion on this mix of internal arts. Are they adversary or complementary if studied simultaneousy?]

It depends on weather or not you've had internal training before.
If so, no problem. But if you haven't, Concentrate more on one than the other. The transition, to soon between the two styles,
might confuse you. they are both diffrent arts with diffrent energies.

[I'd like to hit you up for some advice about the internal and health benefits? You guys never talk about that stuff. Do you feel the changes and benefits health wise that Ba Gua practice proclaims to bring?]

It's not that we don't speak about it. it'as just that the health is a givin in then internal. If practiced correctly, there should be nothing but health. But practing the full range of the training brings the true benifits. as practiced now days, you only get at best 50-60% health because the body is not taxed to take you to the next level.

Yes I've Always felt the changes that the practise has brought.
If practised correctly, two of the first things you will visibly notice is, the Expansion of your pharifial vision ( can't spell the word Ha Ha) and the merging of your body from Left or right sides into a unified whole. thus the mehanices of the body will work more efficiently.

[(3) I've read Frantzis's book on Internal arts as a primer. What do you guys think of it?]

I'm with my Brother on this one

Thanks again for the compliment.

Maoshan