PDA

View Full Version : Protein Bars

Aramus
01-12-2002, 09:31 PM
I need a quick snack sometimes and I would rather not reach for the candy like the other managers in my building. Can anyone recommend a good protein bar to either 1) snack on or 2) for meal replacement and where to find them (ex. GNC, Rasin Rack, Krogers, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

Background: Most of the managers in my building stock up on candy. We all have to ask for items, information from other mangers and sometimes wander over to see another manager. Usually there is some candy taken in each exchange. This tends to add weight to most people. I'm not trying to gain that type of weight. Help...thanks.

MA10
02-10-2002, 01:38 PM
I'm a bit of an ex-candy junky, so I'm pretty anal about taste. I've tried several brands, many tasting somewhere between dirty beach sand and dog poo. However there is one protein bar I actually enjoy --- DESIGNER WHEY PROTEIN BARS (Peanut Butter). It taste good. It's got 31grams of protein, which according to the label is 62% of the RDA. The only real draw back is $$$$. They are pricey, about $3 a bar. Sounds high, but again it's technically a meal in itself. You can find them at GNC.

For more, check out www.designerwhey.com

Hope this helps. Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier.

MA10

IronFist
02-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Listen, any bar with a high content of iron will taste gross. But, this is a plus, because as a guy you do not WANT extra iron in your protein bars. If you eat normally you probably get enough iron as it is. That's why men's multivitamins don't have iron in them :)

Extra iron will make you constipated, and has to potential to mess with your joints.

Now, a decent tasing bar is MetRx's graham cracker cookie or something, which you can get at Wal Mart for $1.97 each. This has 27 grams of protein and not very much iron.

Please avoid the bars with 100% iron in them.

Oh yeah, those MetRx bars I talked about aren't as solid as say like a snickers bar, so it may bend a bit while you're eating it. Don't eat it if you need to stay clean, because sometimes they can be messy. However, try one one time because they're cheap and good tasting. They also have a very low fat content, and I think it's the biggest bar on the market (100g total weight).

Alright dude good luck :)

Iron

Silumkid
02-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Personally, I cannot hang with MetRX bars. They are a solid product, I just don't like them taste-wise. They are too chalky for me.

The ones I have liked are:

EAS Myoplex Deluxe Double Chocolate
Premier Protein (I think it's called Peanut Butter Crunch)
Labrada Lean Body Bars
Designer Protein

There are a few other decent ones out there, but their names are escaping me right now.

Paul
02-10-2002, 07:29 PM
I like Balance Bars myself. They are based on the 40-30-30 diet scheme, but I like them because they are one of the few bars that doesn't taste like crap. If I remember right one bar is about 200 calories, has about 16 grams of protein plus carbs and some fat. I'm pretty sure you can get them at GNC.

Fu-Pow
02-11-2002, 01:58 PM
I personally don't like those protein bars. You really only need them if you are doing some serious weightlifting. Any extra protein you eat in one sitting you'll just pee out.

I have the same problem at work with candy. Our secretary is constantly bringing in the most sugary, fattening stuff. We've also always got venders bringing us donuts and bagels....ugh!!!

I'd recommend bringing in some healthful treats like nuts (protein, fat, trace minerals, fiber) or dried fruit (carbs, vitamins, fiber).

What I've been doing recently is eating a breakfast that is mainly protein. For example, a couple a eggs. Then when I get to work and I eat a bagel or candy its not carbs on top of carbs.....

So by the time lunch roles around the net effect is that I've had a pretty balanced meal for breakfast.

IronFist
02-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Whatever you buy, check everywhere before you buy it from GNC, because they are expensive!

Iron

Anthroman
02-11-2002, 02:49 PM
Personally the best tasting meal replacement type bar I've had is the Cliff brand bars. Just my two cents.
Anthroman

Aramus
02-11-2002, 03:38 PM
I've brought in a Muffin (high in calories...why did I bring this in?), dried fruit, apples, carrots (not filling and only taste OK and thus not recommended) and such. Of course these are brought in one at time not a buffet of stuff.

Thank you for your suggestions. As it turns out, I'm not the only one interested at work. You have all helped out quite a few people...Thanks again.:)