PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Dark Night

Johnny Hot Shot
01-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Dark Night,
I remember in a post about USSD that you have a really long time in that system. I too have a back ground in the "Vallari/ USSD" system.

I have some questions that you might be able to answer.

Do you know of many Instructors who have been succesfull after leving the System?

Did or do you still train in this style? If so where and with whom.

I also have numerous questions about the teaching of the system as well.

What style do the tiger forms really come from?

More to follow.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Would you be so kind as to answer a few questions?

Dark Knight
01-16-2002, 04:35 PM
"Do you know of many Instructors who have been succesfull after leving the System? "

Many, alot went to Parker Kenpo, many went off on their own or hooked up with other high ranking previos Villari/USSD people. I have been away from them for a couple years but they have done well the last time I saw them

"Did or do you still train in this style? If so where and with whom. "

No one out here. I have everything up to 5th (Present rank), I am with an 8th in Ju-Jitsu right now, I am a 3rd in Ju-Jitsu. I was with Peter Urban Goju for a few years and a 5th in his system. TKD for a few, 3rd there.

"I also have numerous questions about the teaching of the system as well.

What style do the tiger forms really come from? "

The forms are his (Villari) creation. He was a student of Nick Cerio before breaking off on his own. His family has been in Ju-Jitsu for years and he has that as a background. i know he has a Kung Fu background Im not sure where its from. But If you look at the techniques that are taught at the advanced level you can see the Kung fu influence.

The forms below Black belt are from other systems. the Pinions are a complete Karate system on their own, I run a cross them in other styles of karate. The Katas are from a Kempo system, I have also run across them in other styles.

The crane form is cut down from its origional, it is a kung fu form that he cut down to teach at green belt.

Steve demascus has a big KF background and as you see in articales he is very recognized as a master.

the different schools are breakoffs due to money. Every one wants a piece of the pie. Im not sure how Fred Bagley is doing but i know he went off from USSD a few years ago.

Dark Knight
01-16-2002, 04:42 PM
Bobby Lamatina is in NH with a bunch of schools under him. He was a 7th last I heard.

Dark Knight
01-16-2002, 05:33 PM
Ill be back thursday

Johnny Hot Shot
01-16-2002, 07:05 PM
I appreciate the answers.

Do you know of any succesfull offshoots in CA? Southern California seems to be dominated by USSD Dojos (Over 140).

I know of a few people that have left the organization for "Political" reasons. I knew of a guy who used to teach In Encinitas a few years ago under the Vallari School name.

Dark Knight
01-17-2002, 08:54 AM
I dont know anyone out here, Im from the Easct Coast origionally. Im sure a lot of them do leave. there is a point that they get tired of paying for franchise fees.

Johnny Hot Shot
01-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Yeah! Grand a month then another for the sill manuals. 2k a month make being an USSd franchised instructor pretty pricey. Although USSD as a business model is excellent.

Now the break down of the teaching methods. Why is the system tought to develop bad habits? Until probably first stripe black they teach students all "DM's" form a horse stance? As well most of the instructors in this are I would hardly consider being " Qualified" instructors by my high standards. It seems to me that the system itself has become corrupted only to facilitate the business success. the standard of USSD student out here is apauling, poor stances and weak technique. To watch a USSD tournament is like watching a bunch of people pretending to be MA. Why do they let this happen? Nothing against the style its good and there are a very few good stylist out there. What happened? When did Vallari or Demasco/Matera decide to let quality slip?

Dark Knight
01-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Thats a money issue. If you let people stay sloppy, then they become instructors their students will be sloppy.

The system is a good system. The problem is they are more concerned with opening more schools than quality control. Back in the 70's you had to be a 3rd degree to open a school, by the 80's that was gone. Now you have instructors that have limited indepth information.
By the end of the 80's Villari was really taking advantage of the schools. (Masters testing where someone comes to your school and test your students, teaches a short seminar and leaves with all fee's, you had to do it this way)

When everyone broke off from Villari they just continued to do business the same way. The reason everyone leaves them is they get tired of paying fee's with little comeing back.

If you are going to open your own school, call Educational Funding Co. they offer plans for running a great business (Their are others, look fo ones that offer business help) I know many people under them making 10 thousand a month teaching Karate.